Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696479 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #375 on: October 31, 2009, 10:47:30 pm »

Playing with occupancy flags:

(Yes that is two bridges, for about as much practical reason as the wall is 2 tiles thick)

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2009, 01:29:20 am »

Nice. We probably need something similar for underground shrubs.

Now I wonder if we are actually able to detect the difference between tree types?

Well you've got different trees for the seasonal changes so I assume you can at least get the color.  For now you could just assume all muddy trees are towercaps.  Did you know towercaps are actually green?  I did not until I was digging a merchant tunnel and some grew in the soil near the entrance.

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2009, 12:43:51 pm »

I have a suggestion:

I am playing in a complicated fort with a lot of levels over lapping and the levels don't have continuous floors.  When its loaded into stone sense its really hard to tell what is on what level.  It is very MC Escher esque.  Is it possible to put progressively dimmed levels the further away it is from the 'current level'?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 01, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »

Just grabbed it, and it makes my current goblin fortress look very playful and bright, I dont mind that, but I'm sort of wondering what all tiles are missing at this point, I havent done pixel art in a long time but I could try tossing together some goats and goblins for you to put in.

Also, if trees are in the middle of fields, they get partially covered up, as seem to any plants under the field. o.O

Is there a list for referance of what still needs to be made?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2009, 05:01:35 pm »

... some goats and goblins ...

Just got a idea - why not temporarily use bitmaps from DFG? Animals designed for this project are not in isometric view, so...
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2009, 05:22:16 pm »

DennyTom, etc.:
Once I'm done moving and have a new apartment sorted out (I'm almost there) I'll be able to start cranking out sprites once again. Until then, if anyone wants to format one of the animal graphics packs from the wiki into 32x32 blocks, and add them to Creatures.png, we could get rid of the bulk of those Questionmarks.

UncleJam:
We have a fix for the "Escher" problem. It might not make it until the next release (it will be a fairly involved graphical overhaul) but it will fix the problem in its entirety.

7c Nickle:
Great Tower Caps! The perspective on them is a bit shallow, but I really love the design on them, especially the hanging mossy bits. They look like I'd imagine a giant species of mushrooms would actually look, rather than just a blown up little fungus.

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 01, 2009, 06:54:05 pm »

DennyTom, etc.:
Once I'm done moving and have a new apartment sorted out (I'm almost there) I'll be able to start cranking out sprites once again. Until then, if anyone wants to format one of the animal graphics packs from the wiki into 32x32 blocks, and add them to Creatures.png, we could get rid of the bulk of those Questionmarks.

I would totally volunteer for this, except I'm out of town myself, and on my laptop. If I was at home with access to my imac, that'd be fun.

... speaking of macs, any word on if a mac version of this will someday be feasible? XD

Also, I noticed when things are bogged down (my laptop isn't exactly high spec; 1.5ghz cpu and 768 megs of ram), stonesense sometimes seems to 'miss' keypresses. It just utterly fails to register some presses at all.

Not a huge issue now, but if it starts being able to accept more input, it could matter later.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2009, 06:03:58 am »

... speaking of macs, any word on if a mac version of this will someday be feasible? XD
Hmm. The biggest problem would be getting the DFHack library to work on OsX. Anyone who could do that should be able to get stonesense working without too many problems.

DFHack is listed as "OSX is not supported due to lack of developers with a Mac.". This may mean that theres cross-platform problems, or it may just mean no-one with a mac has attempted to compile it...

[edit] While it may be just some tweaking to get things to compile, I forgot that the memory offsets in the mac version of DF would also need to be worked out...
Also, I noticed when things are bogged down (my laptop isn't exactly high spec; 1.5ghz cpu and 768 megs of ram), stonesense sometimes seems to 'miss' keypresses. It just utterly fails to register some presses at all.
I've had problems with things getting bogged down, but they have improved significantly after we plugged a memory leak yesterday. If your problems have been occurring after leaving the program running for a while, then it may be the same issues.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:33:52 am by kaypy »

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2009, 07:20:46 am »

I've had problems with things getting bogged down, but they have improved significantly after we plugged a memory leak yesterday. If your problems have been occurring after leaving the program running for a while, then it may be the same issues.
I actually think it may have more to do with the way you have the main loop setup - It looks like it takes too long to update the map per tick as it seems that by the time the loop gets around to actioning key strokes there have already multiple hits.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2009, 07:44:39 am »

I've experienced the missing keystroke issue myself. It comes from the fact that right now keys are polled. This is just a quick and dirty way of doing it, so I'm gonna look at making something more robust

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 02, 2009, 02:13:17 pm »

Ok first pass at the lever.

I think it might be entirely too big right now.  What do you guys think of the design though?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 02, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »

I like it a lot.  The central section (with the pie-slice and triangular base thing) could maybe stand to have a few pixels shaved off, but it's already looking very good.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 02, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »

Ok updated lever test with on and off.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 02, 2009, 03:55:36 pm »

I'm seriously just nitpicking now, because that looks great, but if you want more feedback -- for the off state, the pie slice thing could maybe use slightly sharper shading to clarify its shape.  Also it looks like the red side of the base is being covered slightly too much by the pie slice.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:00:41 pm by Footkerchief »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #389 on: November 02, 2009, 03:56:50 pm »

Ok first pass at the lever.

I think it might be entirely too big right now.  What do you guys think of the design though?

Part of me says dwarven levers should be big. Another part says that lever is freaking huge.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 379