Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698737 times)

Sarcophilus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #420 on: November 03, 2009, 08:17:11 am »

I am interested in making art for this program.
Interested enough to finally register on the forums.
What still needs to be done, what size do the images need to be, and specifically do you want someone to make graphics for the individual dwarf job classes (woodworker, mason, etc.)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:32 am »

Where is the file which lists and defines the entities in objects.png.

I'm trying to make a new sprite (for example, crossbows) and I don't know how I'll get the game to point to that sprite?

[Do I have to download each individual file from: http://stonesense.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ and then attack the program with Microsoft Visual to allow new object sprites into the game or is there a simpler way?]

OK, for starters 'objects' per-se are not in the game yet. Creatures and buildings are, but I'm not sure we'll ever be able to usefully get object data: Even DF itself grinds to a halt on the stocks/stone screen, so...

But for buildings and creatures, there's XML definitions, so you just need to tweak text files- no compiling. Full details on the googlecode wiki.

http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/w/list

PS - Also even if there is a simple solution... Is it possible to download the stonesense source to toy with? If so how?

If you get a Subversion tool, you can download the whole lot as per the instructions on the googlecode website. There are instructions included (and in this thread at various points) for how to build it on MSVS, MinGW and Linux.

Of course, new sprites being added to the system will show up on the http://stonesense.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ area before they get into a release, so its possible to get some mini-updates yourself that way without having to compile anything. But make sure to back up your building directory first, because the config format will sometimes change (eg the Bridges.xml now in SVN is not compatible with 0.3a)

What about things like the Trees? the Saplings? Windows? Water? Dirt? Farmplots? These don't appear to be objects or creatures?

How would I say add in a special new ground-tile or new tree sprite for specific trees or barrel etc?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Fantastic Damage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2009, 11:27:01 am »

;)
Hey,  I just saw the youtube video and I'd love to help out with making sprites. Just let me know if you want more artists, I'd be happy to push some pixels for you ;D

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 03, 2009, 11:47:22 am »

What about things like the Trees? the Saplings? Windows? Water? Dirt? Farmplots? These don't appear to be objects or creatures?

How would I say add in a special new ground-tile or new tree sprite for specific trees or barrel etc?
Buildings and Creatures are configurable. Everything else, we are still working on...

A lot of stuff will need to be more configurable: mods can add all sorts of changes for us to cope with. But there's only so much we can do at a time.

So anything beyond Buildings and Creatures you'd need to do some programming for.

Welcome aboard 8-)
What still needs to be done, what size do the images need to be, and specifically do you want someone to make graphics for the individual dwarf job classes (woodworker, mason, etc.)
My recommended approach would be:
If you can provide a missing sprite, or improve upon an existing sprite, then give it a go and we can see how it works out. Run the program, see what missing stuff annoys you, and fill in the blanks.

The only exception to this would be keeping an eye on the thread, so you can see what other folks are doing rather than duplicating effort.

The easiest way to get a feel for the image size is the open up the objects.png and have a look at one of the wall tiles. Since that are a "full" tile, your image will need to fit within that.

Currently the system doesn't support professions, but I cant imagine it will take that long. However, it will probably also start providing sprite combination functionality like for the buildings, so rather than designing individual tiles, you can design a base dwarf and apply modifications such as different equipment and such. This may or may not be easier- we'll see how it goes.

Jonask and Solifuge reserve the final decision on what art goes into the trunk release, but given that its pretty configurable, I imagine drop in graphics packages will be quite doable.

Fantastic Damage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 03, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »

Buildings and Creatures are configurable. Everything else, we are still working on...

A lot of stuff will need to be more configurable: mods can add all sorts of changes for us to cope with. But there's only so much we can do at a time.

So anything beyond Buildings and Creatures you'd need to do some programming for.

Welcome aboard 8-)
My recommended approach would be:
If you can provide a missing sprite, or improve upon an existing sprite, then give it a go and we can see how it works out. Run the program, see what missing stuff annoys you, and fill in the blanks.

The only exception to this would be keeping an eye on the thread, so you can see what other folks are doing rather than duplicating effort.

The easiest way to get a feel for the image size is the open up the objects.png and have a look at one of the wall tiles. Since that are a "full" tile, your image will need to fit within that.

Currently the system doesn't support professions, but I cant imagine it will take that long. However, it will probably also start providing sprite combination functionality like for the buildings, so rather than designing individual tiles, you can design a base dwarf and apply modifications such as different equipment and such. This may or may not be easier- we'll see how it goes.

Jonask and Solifuge reserve the final decision on what art goes into the trunk release, but given that its pretty configurable, I imagine drop in graphics packages will be quite doable.

so there isn't a definitive list of what sprites are and aren't made and implemented, as of yet?
Would it be helpful to compile such a list, and if so, would you like me to?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:25:30 pm by Fantastic Damage »

lendrick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 03, 2009, 12:21:06 pm »

Hey folks!

I'm Bart, the proprietor of OpenGameArt.org, and I was recently made aware of the tileset you're working on.  I was wondering if it would be okay if we could archive it on our site, and perhaps in exchange OGA can help with producing tiles.  Would that work?

Peace,
Bart
http://opengameart.org

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 03, 2009, 12:34:49 pm »

Ok newest revision and the one I'll probably be putting down for the moment.  I reduced the cowling a bit to make the red indicator a bit more obvious and a couple of other minor tweaks.  The indicators are supposed to be any sort of red/green material (gems, bauxite, serpentine, etc.) and they get hidden by the cowling when the lever is moved. Nothing high tech.

Hmm. Hacking it into the system, ran into one issue: Banks of levers tend to overlap a touch confusingly.

Heres an attempt at providing better separation (reduced lever travel, contrasting handle colour).

(half of those levers are actually gear assemblies with hacked sprites- I still cant flip the levers in-game)

I like it very much
Perhaps the bast place for the on/off indicator would be the ball on the end of the handle.
The great game of Warlocks!

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2009, 01:11:26 pm »

first pass at a statue. trying to keep it greyscale for future colorizing. helmet and part of axe crudely stolen from nickels sprites  ;D

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 03, 2009, 01:28:15 pm »

The statue looks slightly human, make it more dwarf like.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:49 pm »

Nickle:
I like the Levers a lot. The only problem I see is that, eventually, the levers themselves may be made of red or green stone, which would interfere with color-coded indicators. I can't come up with a good alternative visual representation for Off/On though, unless the Lever was given a clear Engaged/Disengaged position.

Bart/Lendrick:
I'd be perfectly fine with letting my sprite art be archived on the OGA, though much of it is a work-in-progress, and the tricky bits are still being worked out. There have been a number of other art contributors to the project though, and though the project is Open Source, I can't speak for them or their work.

(Jonas! We need a Contributor's Disclaimer, stat!)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 03, 2009, 01:51:19 pm »

Guys on tigsource.com noticed your work and are excited: "Now this is a dream coming true right here!"

Also there is a lot of comments like "Awesome", "I might play this game after all", etc.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 03, 2009, 02:28:02 pm »

Guys on tigsource.com noticed your work and are excited: "Now this is a dream coming true right here!"

Also there is a lot of comments like "Awesome", "I might play this game after all", etc.

http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/11/03/stonesense-dwarf-fortress-visualizer

Upon seeing Derek Yu himself post that this was a dream comming true, I don't entirely know what to say. Time to get ma game face on... or rather it is time to barely contain the schoolgirlish squee now bubbling in the pit of my stomach.

Yes, Dwarf Fortress is Serious Business.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:32:06 pm by Solifuge »

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 03, 2009, 02:37:05 pm »

Been following this thread for awhile, it's awesome how far this has come.

I wish I could help but I am no good at pixel art. :(

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #433 on: November 03, 2009, 03:10:00 pm »

Random comment:
Could you put the builds in the downloads section of Google Code?  It's all well and good to come over to the forums for the link, but the Google Code site turns up higher on Google's search results (who'd have thunk it?) so it would save a couple clicks...  ;D
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »

Little bug found: Hidden creatures (ambushes that are not yet seen) are shown.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 379