Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696524 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #480 on: November 04, 2009, 05:05:34 pm »

But where do the fingers/toes go?! It has no hands/feet!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2009, 05:08:58 pm »

Yes it does, look closer at the code I posted.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Summoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 04, 2009, 05:11:58 pm »

If only this visualizer can be turned into DF instead of just a visualizer. Then DF will become more epic.
Ahhh A Bunny Carp! Run

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #483 on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:48 pm »

Yes it does, look closer at the code I posted.

Ahh I see.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 04, 2009, 06:18:58 pm »

Yeah I realized that after I finished it but before I posted.  Honestly though I don't care.  As described described in the raws would be less interesting and more annoying to draw.  Maybe I'll try and tweak it later to make it conform a little more.  On to the windmill!

Ok so I'm not necessarily done with this but I wanted to test to see if my method of making the tiles worked correctly.  See if you can't get this in and let me know.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 04, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

Didn't Chris Hildenbrand of Spriteattack make a mockup of an isometric view? Maybe he could contribute sprites too!

Yeah, here it is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
WOW! O_O Somebody contact this man immediately!

Oh also, while I'm here, I thought I'd mention that Kotaku (One of the most popular Gamer blogs) made mention of Stonesense the other day. Expect an army of on-lookers. :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:58:33 pm by DJDD »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 04, 2009, 07:04:46 pm »

that looks like the next graphics tier up, though.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 04, 2009, 07:08:54 pm »

I thought I'd mention that Kotaku (One of the most popular Gamer blogs) made mention of Stonesense the other day. Expect an army of on-lookers. :P
wat.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 04, 2009, 07:09:21 pm »

Ok so I'm not necessarily done with this but I wanted to test to see if my method of making the tiles worked correctly.  See if you can't get this in and let me know.
It looks like that would 'work', but it would be better if each tile contained the contents actually in that x/y location, rather than just breaking the image up by 32x32 chunks...

Yeah, I know how much of a pain that is 8-) This will certainly do for a first pass. (The tile breakage only effects the draw order, so means overlapping sprites will look weirder (as opposed to merely weird))

One other thing: pretty soon we will need a few frames on animation for stuff like this... (I should be able to draw a different sprite each frame update, possibly before I can work out whether there's actually anything turning the mill...)

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:05 pm »

Actually, my crash was also on a glacier. It worked fine until I started digging a little more. Anything I can do to fix? Can a fix be incoming?

That whole pump thing causing the crashes?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 04, 2009, 07:56:16 pm »

Oh also, while I'm here, I thought I'd mention that Kotaku (One of the most popular Gamer blogs) made mention of Stonesense the other day.

Link?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 04, 2009, 07:59:23 pm »

Well I didn't just break it up into squares. Each tile contains what would be visible within the isometric box.  The overlapping sections should contain the same pixels, so even if it was flicking back and forth between layers the user shouldn't be able to notice.  Anyway, yeah I took animation into consideration when I made it (which is why it's not larger and going corner to corner) but I think I'm going to wait until I finish all the mechanical stuff before I go back and do stuff like that.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:48 pm »

What do you mean? WHats the difference between it and the graphics being done now?

Jotaf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 04, 2009, 09:57:25 pm »

Hi there! Stonesense is great, congrats! When I first came to DF I never imagined I'd see something like this so soon :)

I understand that developing it into a GUI would be a nice feature in the long term. But what if there was an easy way to control DF with the mouse? It wouldn't be a fully-featured GUI -- it would always be managed by DF -- but it would certainly bring a better GUI back to the short-term goals. The most annoying aspect is moving the cursor, so I'm sure lots of folks would kill to have it controlled by the mouse; but if the commands were clickable too it would also be great. Well, it just might be possible...

First, the commands. They obey rigid structures: there's usually the associated key to the left of the command description, after a colon; or to the far right, as in lists. If your program could access DF's display, and assuming the panel is fixed or known, so that clicks in the main view don't count: a click in a non-space character, or in a space between characters (ie, between words) is a command click. Now, just follow that row to the left, until you hit a colon, and the letter/word after that is the key your program must simulate for DF to issue the clicked command. If none is found, the command must be to the far right, like in lists.

This alone would let you click most commands in DF, turning GUI navigation into a breeze.

Secondly, the cursor. The basic behavior would be simply to record internally the last position of the cursor and turn a click into a series of presses of the appropriate keys: delta_x = click_x - cursor_x (in tiles), then if delta_x>0 press right delta_x times; if delta_x<0 press left -delta_x times. (Likewise for y). However, since the view can change, you'd also have to take its position into account. This would be a possibility whenever Stonesense is able to synchronize with DF's view by keeping track of its position.

What do you think? Too ambitious? I think it would be nice even if implemented in a very crude and simple way...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:01:05 pm by Jotaf »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 04, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »

What do you mean? WHats the difference between it and the graphics being done now?

Much higher resolution.

e: actually upon inspection, it's not THAT much higher.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:01:09 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 379