Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698692 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #555 on: November 06, 2009, 02:00:07 am »

CobaltKobold: We've got both that a Door is made of Wood, and that it is made out of Glumprong. That means Marble Tables can, eventually, look like Marble Tables, and be visually distinguished from Andalusite Tables, and Rock Salt Tables (the table that seasons food automatically!) Same goes for naturally occuring stone... so we aren't limited by stone color or type, but can have different textures for every one.

It shall be glorious.

Natural Stone (Smoothed)
Raw Stone (Cobblestones)
Stone Blocks (Bricks)
Raw Wood (Trunks/Branches)
Wood Blocks (Planks)
Metal (Forged Bars/Plates)
Glass Blocks (Carved/Shaped)

Your 'natural stone' look likes constructed stone blocks. Your 'raw stone' looks like a 'rough' constructed stone wall from raw stone, not blocks. The stone block one is just odd, you have tiled bricks on the sides but the top is a grid?

I would use the first one 'natural stone' for constructed stone block walls, the 2nd one for constructed walls from natural stone. The third one could probably be reworked for glass blocks, as I don't see them casting one huge glass block for a wall. Raw wood is fine as-is, or you could make them stacked horizontally. Either one works. The wood blocks you have there look fine. Just my 2 bits, great work overall.

"Natural" Stone should have been labeled Smoothed Stone; regardless, its one I'm having the most trouble properly representing. It is what texture results when plain stone layers are Smoothed by engravers. The blocklike texture is meant to be lines carved directly into the wall, rather than something that the dwarves have built up, to add a sense of texture. The major reasoning was to differentiate between actual Natural stone and Smoothed Stone, which are tough to show when dealing with neatly differentiated cubes of stone.

Raw Stone is used for walls built from plain hunks of stone that miners have mined, without any sort of processing, IE a mortar and cobblestones. Walls like this have been done for ages prior to brick-based masonry techniques, and they require less work, but are as a result less strong and fall apart sooner.

Stone Block walls are, in my mind, made of cut Bricks and Mortar; they're what results when you take the little raw stones you've mined out, and process them into neat blocks before deciding what to do with them. As you can see on the top, the bricks themselves are Square, not Rectangular, and the "Grid" you're seeing is a 3x3 checkerboard etching done to allow them to seal better with the brick above, and most importantly to make the floor more visually interesting.

There is method (and in some cases, historical research) to my madness.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 06, 2009, 02:47:14 am »

Question.  Is there a way to only colorize part of an image?  Like being able to apply a color to everything in an image that is pure grayscale and leave everything else that already has color information alone?  I think that would be the ideal setup.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 06, 2009, 03:00:37 am »

CobaltKobold:so we aren't limited by stone color or type, but can have different textures for every one.
That is good. But I think the default color applied to [materialtype] would be a good backup for mods, and until you individually texture them.

Don't forget metal blocks. You can make 'em and make stuff of 'em.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 06, 2009, 03:22:59 am »

Question.  Is there a way to only colorize part of an image?  Like being able to apply a color to everything in an image that is pure grayscale and leave everything else that already has color information alone?  I think that would be the ideal setup.

Certainly its doable, just check if the RGB values at a pixel are all equal and if so color it while leaving other pixels alone.  The downside is that you only get to use one color on it which I don't think is enough diversity to show the myriad materials people expect, though more layers might compensate.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 06, 2009, 03:58:41 am »

:P At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is the planned method for color replacement once we implement it. There will be 2-4 "Hue-Shifting" grayscale gradients that can each be assigned a different color value for a given sprite, and the remaining colors will be static.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 06, 2009, 04:48:54 am »

Sorry, I missed that fact earlier.  To make up for it, here's the first pass on the waterwheel animation.

I think Im gonna play with the foam a bit more, the wood is currently super water repellent and comes out of the water completely dry.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 06, 2009, 04:52:17 am »

I think that's fine, actually, as it means it works for both directions of flow.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #562 on: November 06, 2009, 04:53:20 am »

Yeah that water wheel looks great, no need to change it.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 06, 2009, 05:29:55 am »

Loving this, specially the look of the sprites.

Just a question: in order to view the fortress in "real time" one has to keep the R key pressed, right? There is no way to set up Stonesense so it keeps automatically refreshing it's memory from DF?

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 06, 2009, 05:31:57 am »

- and + change autoupdate speed.

does anybody ever read the readme?

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 06, 2009, 05:42:36 am »

To be fair, I read the README and somehow missed that part.

And that animated waterwheel looks amazing!

And on the subject of the walls: For the smooth wall, I think it would be better to make something of an uncarved look, like a granite countertop. The raw stone looks cool (that's for a constructed wall made from just stone, correct?). The brick wall does look odd on top. From the sides, the bricks have a distinct rectangular shape, but from the top you can't make out that shape at all. I think it would be better to keep the rectangular pattern on top, and then put dark spots for the holes, like in this picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, awesome seeing so much work being done :)

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 06, 2009, 07:35:14 am »

Is it possible for the raw stone to have a "protruding" appearance, as would be done with normal/bump maps in a true 3d environment? I'm hopeless with visual art so I can't give an example, but I always pictured the raw stone walls as being the wall at the point where the dwarves said "Well screw this, that's enough digging for one day." Not all neatly aligned in a plane. Part of the problem with this is that an image that looks chaotic - such as my vision of a raw stone wall - looks extremely strange when repeated identically for every single instance. In other words, having the ability for the engine to support multiple sprites and choose between them in some deterministic way (based on x/y/z position, so as not to change when updating).

Say for example a method analogous to a hash table. We get our hash value based on the x, y and z positions and then modulus by the number of available sprites. Obviously not a priority, just something that would be nice to see implemented.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 06, 2009, 07:41:57 am »

yeah thats a nice pyramid, the stone looks a bit too perfectly smooth tho, could use a hint of graininess

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 06, 2009, 08:06:31 am »

yeah thats a nice pyramid, the stone looks a bit too perfectly smooth tho, could use a hint of graininess
Actually, that's not "stone ramp" that's "placeholder ramp"

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 06, 2009, 08:52:29 am »

Ok another waterwheel test with updated shading/foam and a test animation for axles.

Think Im about done.  Then I just have to flip it and redo ALL the shading to make the East/West version.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 379