Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696549 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #690 on: November 10, 2009, 10:22:43 pm »

And my last thought; is setting a color/grayscale a planned feature?

Yeah, they've confirmed it two or three times.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 10, 2009, 10:31:48 pm »

Thanks. I've been having trouble keeping track of posts with the time difference and my intermittent availability to read here -_-

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 10, 2009, 10:48:35 pm »

I know Cobalt, but those values enter in so many places in the code. Making them configurable runtime rather than compile time will mean a serious performance hit, that's my main concern. I might have missed that list though? I've been skimming through the 100 or so replies that came in while I was in the hospital :p  I'll go over it a bit more carefully in the morning :)
No, no, not runtime. Start-of-program time.

I don't think an integer lookup is going to be that much of a performance hit compared to a predefined. File lookups should not cause a performance hit, as you need to load a file anyway, so you get...a few more string reads from init, and a "file not found" error if you hadn't already got one.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 10, 2009, 11:54:47 pm »

I don't think an integer lookup is going to be that much of a performance hit compared to a predefined.

Yeah, it should be inconsequential unless you're doing big chunks of arithmetic that are all constants and no function calls.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 11, 2009, 01:22:54 am »

I'd recommend you look to what Khazad dose, its based of the Civ4 data system and it uses a Singlton DataManager which reads and stores all the XML data and hashes the names and index of each entry to a map then it loops a second time to link up all references between entries and stores just the indexes from their everything runs off of the indexes and vectors without any string comparisons in the main loop.  If I need to specifically  reference an entry I use a static int and check the Data Manager for the desired string, a -1 is returned if no match is found so you need to check for that of course.  Its all very easy to use and extend with more xml files and anything can reference anything else without issues.

P.S.   
I think having the old ASCII character integrated into the sprites of each creature would be a cool art style, so I'll be playing around with that some.

I have to say this sounds like a bad idea, the whole point is to have recognizable graphics and trying to combine a character and a sprite would result in a compromise that is poor at both, their simply aren't enough pixels to show both.  Not to mention many of the characters DF assigns to things don't make much sense.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Hyptosis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lorestrome
« Reply #695 on: November 11, 2009, 02:16:03 am »

Hi guys, a friend of mine showed me what you guys have been doing with dwarf fortress and it looks wonderful. I wanted to offer my services if they can be used. It is a bit overwhelming seeing how many pages of text there are in this thread, I read many of them and just thought I'd jump in and introduce myself. I hope this is alright.

I'd be willing to do some tiles if there are still some you need. I'd need someone to give me descriptions of the needed tiles, and it'd be best if i had some of the in game tiles to match. This is of course if you even want/need the help.

Samples of my work, although they're not isometric I'm confident I can match anything. I've been working professionally and in the indie game markets for some years now. Although not at a sprite/tile artist.

http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/space_resources/Screenshot01.png

http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/goblin_keep05.png

http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/Arkanos.png << sprite is not mine, only tiles

http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/Amulet071007.jpeg

http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/M01.png

http://www.lorestrome.com/trash/oldgamefiles/running_sprite6.gif

http://www.lorestrome.com/trash/oldgamefiles/kotashi04.gif

http://www.lorestrome.com/trash/oldgamefiles/tactics_goblin05.gif

http://www.lorestrome.com/trash/oldgamefiles/ui.gif

http://www.lorestrome.com/trash/oldgamefiles/tactics_goblin04.gif

Hope this is enough, let me know, thanks, hope I'm not stepping on any toes or anything, I'd just really love to see this all flushed out. As an artist, even though I can enjoy DF without it, an element of art and color would really breathe life into it for me. I'll work with whatever art director you have. Thanks. ^^
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:59:12 am by Hyptosis »
"Everyone in time has said, there comes a time to join the dead."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #696 on: November 11, 2009, 02:27:51 am »

I love your style, especially the first and last links you posted.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 11, 2009, 02:29:10 am »

I love the different water levels that show up for different amounts of water.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:10 am »

The screen from Hyptosis is mind blowing
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 11, 2009, 03:45:15 am »

I wish I had a cryotube and could set it for next year sometime.

These brownies will have to do instead.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 11, 2009, 04:02:53 am »

Looks like we baged another experienced artist.  The artist count is starting to get really high, It might be time to have someone act as a Task Manager for all this.  Lead Artists generally set the 'tone' for a game and sign off on artwork that meets their desired standard, Solifuge should concentrate on that while someone else acting under Solifuges direction dose the more secretarial stuff like keeping of assignment lists (on the SVN would be best) and adding the work to the SVN by doing the xml entries and the like.  That's generally the best division of managerial and creative skills for a project this size.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 11, 2009, 04:04:46 am »

Looks like we baged another experienced artist.  The artist count is starting to get really high, It might be time to have someone act as a Task Manager for all this.  Lead Artists generally set the 'tone' for a game and sign off on artwork that meets their desired standard, Solifuge should concentrate on that while someone else acting under Solifuges direction dose the more secretarial keeping of assignment lists (on the SVN would be best) and adds the work to the project by doing the xml entries and the like.  That's generally the best division of managerial and creative skills for a project this size.
Or, as this is a community project by and large, we wait for Jonak to finish setting up the wiki and finalising the code to allow easy addition and removal of art assets and we just let people go nuts making their own 'tile-sets'.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 11, 2009, 04:16:06 am »

Community != Disorganized

I'm just making a recommendation here, but it's one based on past experience in similar situations.  While customization is indeed something we should want and which will make the job of the person integrating the assets much easier, it's not going to alleviate the need to organize the flood of artists that want to contribute and are now mostly just doing things at random.  Once a full 'tile-set' of artwork is done then its time to start thinking about having a diversity of them.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 11, 2009, 05:37:35 am »

Man, this is some nice shit.  I had only done 1 piece of sprite art before this project so it will be great to have someone with more experience on board.  Right now I'm still learning as I go so everything takes longer than it really should on my end.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 379