Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698797 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #735 on: November 11, 2009, 08:05:19 pm »

Here are some Kobold concepts from Genso Suikoden series.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9957/kobawls.png

Dog-like kobolds very similar to Ragnarok's.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 11, 2009, 08:06:22 pm »

And just if someone wants to stay close to canon:

Kobold Quest (a game by Toady) kobolds:

This is a DF tileset I've made based on that picture:
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bilge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 11, 2009, 08:06:44 pm »

This is godlike. This should really be implemented into the game's graphics core. The only problem with an isometric view is that some features become obscured and so a rotation feature is needed.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #738 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »

and so a rotation feature is needed.
;) Guess what I've been doing the last 5 hours..

Gothvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 11, 2009, 08:35:06 pm »

Wow this really look awesome but I have a big problem, please help me

Everything seems to work but is there a real time feature, for now the only thing i can do is it R to reload the screen ?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #740 on: November 11, 2009, 08:37:49 pm »

Everything seems to work but is there a real time feature, for now the only thing i can do is it R to reload the screen ?
Read the readme... Use + and - on the keypad to set the refresh rate.  (I asked the same thing).

On that note:
Jonask84, can you think of any better way to tell people this?  Perhaps a small note on the screen or a help button in the program?  Because a lot of people seem to either not read readme files or skip over parts that say 'debugging' (myself included in this case).
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Gothvan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 11, 2009, 08:39:59 pm »

lol in fact i read it but not gave the full attention to debug since the author wrote: (prolly not useful for you guys)

I dont understand why the "main feature" (well for me the real time feature is the main one) would be prolly not useful for us :P

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:36 pm »

Ok guys, here's my take on the kobold. Didn't have time to clean it up, but here it is next to a dwarf for scale:

Personally, I think it's too tall still. I'll have to shorten him a pixel or two. The leg on the left needs work too, it turns outward too much. But, this is just a quick concept to let you guys know the diretion I'm thinking for kobolds.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:17 pm »

yeah...take a pixel out of the neck, body, and legs each.

Also remember that kobolds = tunic + loincloth usually.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #744 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:39 pm »

I remember going over that part of the Readme and taking out the 'prolly' part, and moving the autoreaload up to normal keys. Somehow I must have screwed up and released the wrong readme... But, yeah, I'll make sure it's fixed for the next release.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 11, 2009, 10:16:20 pm »

Nice start but I think the Kobold looks like he's turned a bit too much to the right. His head is also many orders of magnitude smaller than the dwarves. I know they're supposed to be scrawny and smaller but the characters don't really quite fit together (though each is nice on its own).

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 11, 2009, 11:29:58 pm »

For the traps, coming from the ground is the only real way to do them at this point, since walls and ceilings are entirely optional in the matter. Finding a way to represent the tile so it looks nice for the player to view while not making them think "Who the hell steps on a giant sawblade?"

For spear traps, perhaps just holes in the ground would be fine. Weapon traps could have longer slices (how the hell do you fit 10 of them in one floor tile - then again, I have 10,000 stones in my mason's source tile) or something. Cage traps I kind of pictured as sunk into the floor, then the creature is dropped and the cage rises. For that matter, how do cage traps fit in a single floor tile with open space below it? Bah, confusing.

And stone-fall traps? Well, considering the "roof-optional" problem, that's going to be an interesting one. Maybe a boulder balanced on a pole? ::)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 11, 2009, 11:35:02 pm »

For rock type graphics I'd recommend they be based on the typical depictions of rocks in geology textbooks (yes I've taken some geology) as these are a made to both match the rocks real appearance and be recognizable.  All of these refer to rough stone surfaces, smoothing and constructions are a separate issues.  The following should provide enough variety to do all the layer stones once a colorizing system is in place.

Igneous Extrusive - Fine grained suggest you use a speckled appearance, these will all end up in shades of gray from light colored rhyolite to near black basalt.

Igneous Intrusive - Courser grained like granite but still speckled, just use larger specks.

Glassy - used for obsidian, use light and dark lines like that on a glass block but with some disorder to suggest roughness.

Carbonate - carbonate rocks (flux) are always depicted with parallel horizontal lines and semi randomly spaced vertical lines giving the appearance of a brick wall built of blocks of varying width.

Sand Stone - stippled dots would be good hear but use fewer dots and more background then Igneous Extrusive.

Slate - long thin unbroken parallel lines typically depict slate

Shale - slightly thicker slightly undulating lines that vary in thickness

Foliated - many metamorphic rocks look like this, theirs a strong waviness and thick light/dark bands

Conglomerate - heterogeneous blobs of various sizes with a little background color showing through

Fine grained sediment - used for silt and mud stone these are almost completely flat, just a few speckles and color shades in horizontal bands give them some character.

Crystalline - for rock salt and many of the cluster forming minor minerals, has a crackly appearance from angular crystals.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:38:02 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 12, 2009, 12:19:33 am »

Fiddled with my dwarf a bit, added a hat and made it more pallete-swap ready for indicating different jobs.

In Soviet Russia, Dwarves don't mine stone. Stone mines Dwarves.

Comrade :P
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 12, 2009, 12:44:19 am »

I get it, the hat is silly ;p It's just the only thing I could come up with that looked good in iso. I want to do a more traditional peasant/middle age cap, but getting the curve right was frustrating me. And having no hat is just boring :D

So, I tweaked the kobold, and think this one is much better looking:

EDIT: here's the blown up version for easy viewing:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:46:18 am by tehmarken »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 379