Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698661 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #930 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »

Personally, I'd think it would be a great shame if the sand tiles were made much darker than they are in that image - doing so would take a lot of uniqueness out of playing on a desert map (or somesuch). I could imagine the grass/water tiles looking a little "softer" (as Deon put it), though.

Glad to see this project is going so well. If things carry on the way they're going, we'll probably end up with several seperate tilesets made by different users, much like we do now with the vanilla DF graphics.

Oh, and I concur with jarathor when it comes to the crops.

fifth angel

• Bay Watcher
  • slow and lazy
    • View Profile
    • -thee portfolio-
« Reply #931 on: November 15, 2009, 07:23:42 pm »

ok I changed my mind, here's the old grass and darker sand :D

hmmm....

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 15, 2009, 07:24:02 pm »

The latter plump helmet looks nicer, but I think the stalk is too invisible.

The pig tails are...ok. Second version preferred, as it looks curly- the first just looks phallic. the puff is a bit too outstanding on the third to me.

The other crops are fantastic, though.

hmm...a thought. you can get up to 11 of a crop grown in a square. It would be difficult to show 1-11 at this size, though.

There are different colors of sand in-game, remember. New sand isn't bad.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

fifth angel

• Bay Watcher
  • slow and lazy
    • View Profile
    • -thee portfolio-
« Reply #933 on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:19 pm »

Personally, I'd think it would be a great shame if the sand tiles were made much darker than they are in that image - doing so would take a lot of uniqueness out of playing on a desert map (or somesuch). I could imagine the grass/water tiles looking a little "softer" (as Deon put it), though.

Glad to see this project is going so well. If things carry on the way they're going, we'll probably end up with several seperate tilesets made by different users, much like we do now with the vanilla DF graphics.

Oh, and I concur with jarathor when it comes to the crops.

Yeah, I thought about that too, that's why I started drawing new tiles from scratch.

The darker sand look's even more realistic... there are 3 more types anyway, I'll start doing recoloring for different types soon.

As for crops, they are superb, especially the last plamp helmet.

I hope we'll finish the most part of the tiles soon.
hmmm....

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 15, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »

I know jonask is busy with programming the new version, but if someone could update the files and post up a link to current version of stonesense with the current graphics we have added since the video (there are a lot) preloaded with no tweaking, it'd help spread this thing further.

I might work on it when I get off work if I have time.

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #935 on: November 15, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »

I know jonask is busy with programming the new version, but if someone could update the files and post up a link to current version of stonesense with the current graphics we have added since the video (there are a lot) preloaded with no tweaking, it'd help spread this thing further.

I might work on it when I get off work if I have time.

Indeed there is a lot of new artwork. And indeed i'm coding in new stuff right now.
But don't you think we should hold off the release till it looks really good? PR-wise that sounds like a good idea to me :)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:03 pm »

If you feel the release will be fairly soon, I agree. We have good momentum right now :)

Unfortunately the new DF version will probably break compat horribly. D:

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 15, 2009, 08:31:43 pm »

If you feel the release will be fairly soon, I agree. We have good momentum right now :)

Unfortunately the new DF version will probably break compat horribly. D:

undoubtly, but that is the way off the universe

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #938 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »

The day the new DF comes I think we'll all be pretty busy having fun in all the new ways anyway ;)

We have good momentum right now :)
We have great momentum! Things are moving so fast us devs can hardly keep up with all the new sprites. We're scrambling to get all the new code features in, and at the same time keep the artwork flowing into the trunk. The latter has been lacking a bit, but be assured, it will make it in till the next release :)

A note though, of course we can only have ONE set of goblins etc. And as stated earlier, we gotta be picky, so please no-one get offended if something gets replaced. There WILL be tilesets, and there WILL be tons and tons of customizable content. Personally I am awestruck at the quality of this stuff!

Now back to the code ;)

Cheers guys!

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 15, 2009, 10:00:28 pm »

I revised and extended my human sprites.

Unarmed, Lasher, Axeman, Hammerman, Swordsman
Spearman, Maceman, Crossbowman, Bowman, Pikeman

Trader, Liason, Diplomat

A little more feedback and I'll upload em to the new wiki to be intergrated.

PS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:02:32 pm by 7¢ Nickel »

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 15, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »

From your comments its seems that the Plump Helmet and Pig Tail needed a fix.

The first Plump Helmet is the same shape as before just lightened up a bit and the second is all new.

The Pig Tail I had an issue with from the start as its nothing like I imagine them to be. I picture them to look like cotton plants with a spiralling seed pod but I couldn't make it work so I did the big pink stalks.
First is the old one, next is a redone version and the last is a version flowering assumingly with cotton like fibres.

I don't want to change the Dimple Cup, i think it fits well with what was originally depicted in the game. (a blue heart)
The Quarry Bush was a tough one. I imagined it to be a grey thick bush that looked like stones from afar but half way through that depiction I realised it just looked like a pile of rocks so I did the bonsai-ish version.  :-\

Pick your favs.  ;D

I like the pigtail with the bloom on it, however, I find the fact that each pig tail 'ring' is very bloated makes it look more like stacked kidneys than an actual plant.  Maybe make them skinnier and/or change the color to match the bloom on it across the whole plant?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:25 pm »

Hmmm... I'm thinking a little bit lighter on the skin of those humans, more of a tan colour, so that it could cover humans from all over the world a bit easier opposed to just the warmer regions. :)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 15, 2009, 10:15:51 pm »

Hmmm... I'm thinking a little bit lighter on the skin of those humans, more of a tan colour, so that it could cover humans from all over the world a bit easier opposed to just the warmer regions. :)

I think they're fine as is.  Anyway, more important than color is the fact that they're excellently designed.  My one criticism is that the hammerman's hammer could easily be mistaken for an axe -- a single-headed hammer would probably be more distinct.  Also, maybe make the mace head a touch bigger?  That might give you a little more room to depict those studs (at least I think that's what they are).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:17:40 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 15, 2009, 10:33:07 pm »

The Maceman looks odd to me.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 15, 2009, 10:38:39 pm »

Agree with foot, hammer and ax are too easy to confuse, making the ax single rather then double bladed would also help to distinguish them.

On plants I agree the new Plump Helmet is better but the stalk is indistinct.  In general all of the plants seem to have weak roots and seem to 'float above' rather then grow from the ground.  A bit of root splay like the base of a tree would be a good idea.  Of the Pig tails I prefer the second but I think it could be even better if the plant had a conical shape as the spiral tightens at the top, that would look even more like a pigs tail and would probably show the coiling better (and eliminate the phallic appearance issue).  I don't particularly like the bud/puff thing on the end either.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 379