Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696442 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1125 on: November 18, 2009, 07:26:09 pm »

Some temporary humanoids

(Blizzard man, fire man, gremlin, iron man, mud man, magma man, troglodyte, ogre, cyclops)

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: November 18, 2009, 07:37:54 pm »

Probably should be a mix of black and the nearest colors in the sprite, not the background. That's closer to what the hand-bordered approach does.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:09 pm »

IMO I would border the top half of each plant - That way it appears to blend with the ground as it should at the bottom and we'd keep the detail of the top. WIN WIN. ;)
I am for this idea.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

done some work on a carpenters shop

Some things to bear in mind with workshops:

Parts of the workshop are impassable. This should be reflected in the sprite. (Thats where to stick tables and stuff)

The workshop needs enough graphics that we can rotate the view.

As mentioned elsewhere, you shouldn't rely on surrounding walls.

Also, in order to change the workshop style drastically, we will probably need a critical mass of workshops in the new style.

For bonus points, there should be parts of the workshop that can be swapped out to indicate what material it is made of.

Oh, and the more sprites that can be used in multiple workshops, the less sprites that need to be done.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 18, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »

Hey all, I was curious about how much it would take to make my dwarves look at least a little more like 7c Nickel's humans, so I did a little test with the baron:
First is 7c Nickle's human male (I might've used a slightly less new version by mistake).
The second one is the tweaked dwarf baron, third is a just-for-fun color swap, and last is the original.

What say ye? It could use a little work, but would that be close enough to be worth fixing up all of my sprites?

EDIT: Also, should I go ahead and add in my dwarves that are already uploaded to the Dwarf Sprites page on the wiki?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:39:17 pm by jarathor »

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1130 on: November 18, 2009, 09:21:20 pm »

That's a very nice carpenters shop! Impressive!

As for whay kaypy said' he's right. I just have two things to add:

The workshop needs enough graphics that we can rotate the view.
Yup, esp that workbench would have to have a back side :)

Oh, and the more sprites that can be used in multiple workshops, the less sprites that need to be done.
That's only right to an extent, kaypy. While we do want some reuseability, we don't want all our buildings to look generic either. I don't think any of those are too spesific, that's the amount of detail we would want. right?

Edit: Oh and we could do that hanging saw, right kaypy, with your awesome config system (NeighbourIsWall)  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 09:23:44 pm by jonask84 »

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 18, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »

Oh my...that's just plain beautiful.

Jonask - Thanks for the support!  My spider could use a colour change maybe.  Black is appropriate for a spider but his features don't stand out.

I vote for a pseudo-black border...It makes the sprites "pop" visually.

For people adding things to the sprite wiki: PLEASE do not delete ANY user's work (no panic, nothing has happened yet)...regardless of whether you think it's crappy/too big/too pointy etc.  Add a new column to the table and place your sprite in the new column.

For people making sprites: Some of the sprites currently on the wiki are...subpar.  Jonask has already pointed out that some of them need fixing or could better fit the current stonesense style.  Please do not be upset if your sprite is not selected for the release.  Your efforts are still appreciated and we still love you :D.

I recommend Sphr's 16x16 sprites as a base for your endeavours and a springboard for innovation.  http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Sphr/gfx_set

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:57:41 pm by Xandrin »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 18, 2009, 11:09:49 pm »

He he, I certainly don't mind if mine aren't used. I'm just making them so there's something there--I know there are lots of people on here who can do better.

@jarathor: I love the colorswapped dwarf. A clean, lily white dwarf just looks wrong to me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: November 18, 2009, 11:16:20 pm »

This is wonderful. If I may, I have a few suggestions:

1.)Gem Windows-
I've noticed that there is a window sprite (or there was). it was listed a few pages back and it was absolutely wonderful.
When I put in a sapphire gem window, I got the yellow box placeholder.

Perhaps the same sprite could be used for the gem windows as the glass windows?

2.) Bins and barrels-
So long as stockpiles are in game, having bins and barrels seems like a nice, logical way to handle them. I know I end up making hundreds of these furniture items in any case.  Currently my stockpiles don't show up, or if they do, then they are yellow placeholder boxes.

3.) Basic install instructions on the wiki-
Yes, it's obvious in hindsight that the program needs winrar, but a simple "install" entry in the wiki will make it a lot easier for the end user. (I realize DF is not easy for anyone but yeah :) ).

4.) "child" animal
s-
These throw off the visualizer and show up as question marks. perhaps if people just made a smaller version of any animal they come up with, this issue will be solved. The same concern arises with undead but that is a more complex issue.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:42:49 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 19, 2009, 12:44:16 am »

Hey all, I was curious about how much it would take to make my dwarves look at least a little more like 7c Nickel's humans, so I did a little test with the baron:
First is 7c Nickle's human male (I might've used a slightly less new version by mistake).
The second one is the tweaked dwarf baron, third is a just-for-fun color swap, and last is the original.

What say ye? It could use a little work, but would that be close enough to be worth fixing up all of my sprites?

EDIT: Also, should I go ahead and add in my dwarves that are already uploaded to the Dwarf Sprites page on the wiki?
I really love what you've done, but I cant help but feel you need to combine the two newer dwarves.
I'm thinking the nice pale skin with the nice dark beard. They'll contrast better than the yellow and pink. :)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:53 am »

Done with humans for this release.  I'll be back in about a week.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:22:53 am by 7¢ Nickel »

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 19, 2009, 02:06:52 am »

a thought just popped into my head, how are we going to signify legendary units?
a simple way might be putting a splash of light behind them, nothing too showy, but enough to make them more noticable.

some people are also fond of dwarves with horns so I think the capabilities of legendaries should be left in though of course, probably with a placeholder or somesuch.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 19, 2009, 02:10:49 am »

[ ][ ][ ]
[X][ ][ ]
[X][ ][X]
Carpenter's Workshop

Upright Metal Bars as Fences, Jail Cells, etc. (Also Grates and Cages.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:39:53 am by Solifuge »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 19, 2009, 02:17:02 am »

That's just beautiful.

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:07 am »

Those humans look awesome.  While you're gone, I may fiddle with the female civilians and give them dresses.   :-\

I'm thinking the nice pale skin with the nice dark beard. They'll contrast better than the yellow and pink. :)

I have done the pale skin/dark beard recolour for you...Result is 3rd in lineup.  His beard isn't quite as dark as the "middle east" inspired dwarf:

Recolours take almost no time, so once we get a cohesive, complete set we can fiddle with preferences later...who knows, maybe we'll have Stonesense graphics sets :D.

a thought just popped into my head, how are we going to signify legendary units?
a simple way might be putting a splash of light behind them, nothing too showy, but enough to make them more noticable.

some people are also fond of dwarves with horns so I think the capabilities of legendaries should be left in though of course, probably with a placeholder or somesuch.

What about a simple recolour of their clothing? Go from purple to blue?

Solifuge - I just wet myself...the carpenter shop recolour is especially awesome.  Does it change depending on which material I build my shop from?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 379