Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1696471 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1140 on: November 19, 2009, 02:29:13 am »

These are just generic stone and wood workshops; eventually, the color of the stone will reflect what it was made out of. If I go crazy, I might even do different textures for blocks vs. raw stone.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 19, 2009, 03:43:04 am »

I like both carpenter's workshops.

And that last screenshot is dead sexy. Can't wait for next release :)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 19, 2009, 03:54:05 am »

I have only one problem with many of the unit's drawn here:

they are no in isometric perspective

however, as it is understandably hard to draw those, I will make no more complaints.

(the spider, on the other hand, is perfect)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 19, 2009, 04:01:23 am »

I have only one problem with many of the unit's drawn here:

they are no in isometric perspective

That's pretty much par for the course for this style of graphics.  Plus, there's the additional benefit that the units could get repurposed for a future high-res DF graphics pack.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 19, 2009, 05:59:33 am »

@Jarathor: great work mate, i'd say they are much more in line with the general look put out by Nickel.
And the recolouring by Xandrin really did hit the spot for me, the white with brown bear dwarf seems just perfect.
Also loving the inspiration for the dwarf hats, based on the 3ps design right?

http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comics/081.png

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 19, 2009, 07:07:49 am »

Coming along very nicely :D
can't wait to see the next release.
i'd contribute, but my pixelart is well not very good at all, not to mention i'm no good at matching styles.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 19, 2009, 07:10:56 am »

here's an interesting article that may or may not be handy:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article934.asp

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:20 am »

done some work on a carpenters shop

That's a very nice carpenters shop! Impressive!

As for whay kaypy said' he's right. I just have two things to add:

The workshop needs enough graphics that we can rotate the view.
Yup, esp that workbench would have to have a back side :)

thanks man! looks like solifuge completed a carpenters shop too, so if you still need any of my sprites, gimme a shout here in the thread and i'll separate and put some more polish on them.

Oh, and the more sprites that can be used in multiple workshops, the less sprites that need to be done.
That's only right to an extent, kaypy. While we do want some reuseability, we don't want all our buildings to look generic either. I don't think any of those are too spesific, that's the amount of detail we would want. right?

Edit: Oh and we could do that hanging saw, right kaypy, with your awesome config system (NeighbourIsWall)  ;D

yeah that was my thought too, dont we want more or less as visually unique workshops as possible, so you can distinguish them at a mere glance? and also for pure graphical diversity.
i guess i'll leave the saw as is for now then, if you had some magic fix for that :D

solifuge: nice shop, i really like the lathe, but what is the red/green thingy? i think it would look better without that. i do think my workbench has the upper hand tho, yours reminds me a bit of a piano or an organ :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:40:08 am by dyze »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:23 am »

So I tried to make an alder and this is what came up:

Seuss, thanks for your advice. I've tried using the palette from your willow, but it ended up looking too bright... I guess I still have to learn how to work with colours more effectively.  :-\
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:13 am »

Since folks seem to be getting an enthusiasm for redrawing the workshops, may I point out how much the current version of the Still sucks... Yeah, a lot of them could use improvements, but the Still is the one that really makes me cringe...

Also, we still have the Siege Engines to have anything at all for. Don't make me use my attempt- it was worse than the Still...

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 19, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

So I tried to make an alder and this is what came up:

the sprite itself is nice, but its a bit dense for an alder?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

actually i think this goes for a lot of the current tree sprites in ss ..too dense/massive foilage (imo).

gilrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:30 am »

Hey, I registered here because I really like the direction this project is going.

Anyway, I have an awesome idea (though I am not the most graphically-inclined, so take these as examples only please!)

Action/mood icons!

So the idea is, you press a button or mouse-over a dwarf, and you can quickly see what their current task is, and how they feel.

I never was much of a spriter, though, so I probably can't help with the icons too much...

Anyway, love the project, can't wait until there is more official support for it allowing two-way communication between DF and Stonesense!

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 19, 2009, 12:55:25 pm »

here's an interesting article that may or may not be handy:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article934.asp

Thanks Japa!  This is definitely something we'll have to look at for future releases (even if they're distant future releases)

Since folks seem to be getting an enthusiasm for redrawing the workshops, may I point out how much the current version of the Still sucks.

THIS!

Recolours are dandy, as are multiple variations of the same workshop (Solifuge/Kaypy's Carpenter Shops) but we need a complete, non-crappy version of every workshop & construction in the game.

I propose that if you're working on a sprite, place your forum name inside the sprite table over on the wiki.  That way we can reduce/eliminate a situation where two people are creating the same object.  When you're done, post your sprite and remove your name.  Thoughts?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:10 pm »

gilrad:  I had the same idea once, got it from the Sims 'diamond' that floats over peoples heads.  I'd even thought that the dwarfs mood would be shown by a shade of gray inside the bubble, white for happy, black for miserable with everything in between in shades of gray.

Once DFHack supports current job it would be a relativity simple matter to render a bubble above the dwarf.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 19, 2009, 01:51:03 pm »

re: transitions: you can go lower than 32 tiles by spending a bit of extra computation. as you can make this computation in the tilesets, though, it's not that worth it. (Left-edge plus top-right corner don't interact, and could just be a composite of those two margin tiles, for instance) similarly left edge + right edge tile is not needed to be drawn on its own, etc.

edit: Oh, and don't forget moods/status indicators.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:53:17 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 379