Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698598 times)

Jadael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 27, 2009, 11:16:49 pm »

With how Stonesense currently draws sprites, animated sprites are very case-by-case basis. So far windmills and waterwheels are animated, but they're allowed to go slowly without looking odd.
~ T

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 28, 2009, 12:06:04 am »

Welcome back Beefmo...and nice work.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 28, 2009, 01:56:06 am »

Beefmo! I was secretly hoping to get you in on this little endeavor... glad to have you with us, and more glad to hear you got your residency all sorted out! I've been dealing with a few life things myself, and my spriting contributions have been spotty at best. I'll probably be a bit occupied until things start to resolve around here, but I'll be sure to keep tabs on things, and once things start to settle, I'll get back on the art train. Got lots and lots of rocks to pixelate.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 28, 2009, 02:06:27 am »

Great art, Beefmo :).
Just a small request: if you ever make animated sprites, make a random offset for each creature for its frames. Because when you see a screen of creatures which do THE SAME. Man, it's gonna hurt my brain :). So a simple offset in animation should be ok.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 28, 2009, 02:47:44 am »

Yeah, should be simple enough: unit_animation_frame = (global_animation_frame + unit_index) mod frames_per_cycle

I'm working up to doing the animations properly now, so hopefully will have something for critters as well as buildings before long...

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 28, 2009, 02:51:09 am »

This is by far the best DF Visualizer i have seen yet.
it actually looks like something that could turn into an actual GUI.

how hard would it be to implement a sort of keystroke cloning, where input in Stonesense would be tranfered to DF, then the change updated back to Stonesense?
i have seen some macro mods and such, that was able to "control" DF, so it should be possible to "control" df with stonesense, maybe even using the same code.

i'm not sugesting redesigning the GUI input method yet, simply keeping the old GUI input method, and porting it to work from Stonesense with DF running in the background.

oh, and this comes from a guy that has minimal programming experience, so i have no idea how this should be done doce-wise.

one thing i do know: Stonesense is great for visualizing your amazing fort, but to make the leap to utter greatness, and would have to be an actual GUI.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 28, 2009, 03:42:24 am »

how hard would it be to implement a sort of keystroke cloning, where input in Stonesense would be tranfered to DF, then the change updated back to Stonesense?

It's very possible.  Another visualizer, Lifevis, had this capability, and it was discussed in this thread as a possibility for Stonesense.  Jonas said he'd take a look at it.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 28, 2009, 03:50:01 am »

Great work by everybody in this thread, this may actually convince me to switch to a graphical interpretation of dwarf fortress, instead of good old ascii.

I'm colorblind, but...olms're pink/fleshtone, not green...

Just to be sure, you do know your avatar is not green  ;) ? Not colorblind myself, but I find it quite fascinating, I read some article on colorblindness once, it seems it has advantages too, as colorblind people seem to be better able to pick out contrast etc under certain conditions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:37:35 am by Bralbaard »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 28, 2009, 04:12:41 am »

I BLAME IT BEING BROWN ON MAGENTA- magenta = blue+red, so the contrast makes it look green. I can distinguish colors fine, it's identifying them that's a small problem.

I intentionally designed it that way. I am surprised I haven't seen Fun noble-disposals before around here.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1509 on: November 28, 2009, 04:34:59 am »

Ok people, show's over, Beefmo's here.

HOORAY!
<3

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 28, 2009, 07:05:53 am »

Kobold:

Kobold Thief:

I really like these as my final result.

For reference, here is the old thief:

And the old template + military:

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1511 on: November 28, 2009, 07:08:57 am »

Animated sprites? Or am i getting ahead of myself? ><

Yeah, I figured they were pretty much just undeveloped newts anatomically wise, so I'll use the source pics I found googling newt larvae.

....God I missed spriting! :P

Welcome back and all :) Thanks for the sprites, they really look awesome. Seriously, this is as good as any commercial game! I spoke with Solifuge (our head art guy) and we'd really love you on this project. So if you find time now and then, feel free to play with any sprites you'd like :)

Again, great work!

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 28, 2009, 07:12:56 am »

Just a quick refresh since I see you jonas, if we want to animate a sprite, it's 6 frames?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #1513 on: November 28, 2009, 07:16:33 am »

Alright, I should probably sort this out right now ;)

Kaypy and I have been looking at it, but nothing has been implemented yet. Theoretically it might be up to 6 frames, or 10 or any number I suppose.

Just be careful before you put too much work into animating the sprites, we're not even sure it's a feature that is going to work out. And IMHO it would be better to have more creatures in before starting to animate some :)

(The kobolds are looking really good btw! keep up the good work )
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:34:18 am by jonask84 »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 28, 2009, 07:30:15 am »

I have to ask; theoretically of course, but if animated sprites are implimented why exactly would there be a frame limit? Or at least a small frame limit rather than some arbitrarily high number.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 379