Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698703 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1531 on: November 28, 2009, 07:30:03 pm »

Clearly the correct choice is D for Dwarf.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 28, 2009, 07:51:00 pm »

Animated sprites? Or am i getting ahead of myself? ><

This used to be a horse before I needed to test Beefmo's sprites... Now it is a horsebat! (Once again science means cruelty to animals...)

I think I needed a dozen tries to get the screencap for the sideways wing position...

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 28, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »

I'm going to need some more feedback from you all to continue before i get to far ahead of myself and have to go back and redo most of them :P

Firstly: The shadow.... should I add a shadow blob to my sprites? Or I think I saw something posted that that might be a thing on the programs end so you don't end up with fliers and swimmers with shadow blobs in mid air?

Secondly: I did a little overlay to see how my sprites look in the overall theme and I'm wondering if they're not saturated enough or maybe I need to darken my outlines?

Thirdly: Like Deon pointed out rather wisely, having a screen full of the same animated sprite (aka a mermaid farm) would kind of be like sand paper on the eyes, so like he suggested (I think its what he was saying) maybe give the females a slightly offset animation such as: or possibly switching orientation also with an offset ... but I've got a feeling the latter wont look as good?

Fourthly: Is it worth me trying to stick to a self implimented scale scheme deally, like I've been trying to do so far, but I'm afraid that It might end up with the little critters looking to small?

and whipped up some babies and a mole dog so far today :P

Baby olm, baby bat, naked mole dog (not so sure on him or the baby bats animation.... prolly back to the drawing board)

To Jonask and the rest of the team: I'd love to help out, I was going to get back into finishing my set, but then i saw this piece of awesomness you guys have been working on :P I dont really care if animations make it in or not, its more so just for me to practice, but its better getting them done with each sprite as I do them if you do manage to get it implimented. I just picked a raw (subteranian) and im working my way down the list... which reminded me of something... skeltal and zombie versions! Not sure if you can display the difference yet, but like i said, its better to get them all done out at the same time than having to go back and revisit..... so onwards to skeletal versions! :P

To Everyone else: Thanks for the welcome backs, and keep up the awesome contributions so far (Those new kobolds are 10 stars better tehmarken, I like how they fit the canon from toady's description and the kobold quest pic.. i really struggled making them for my tileset... thank god for the bigger work space!)

OH! And kaypy if you need the individual frames at all just post and ill put them in :P save that triggerhappy print screen button!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:43:42 pm by Beefmo »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 28, 2009, 08:46:53 pm »

I'm going to need some more feedback from you all to continue before i get to far ahead of myself and have to go back and redo most of them :P

Firstly: The shadow.... should I add a shadow blob to my sprites? Or I think I saw something posted that that might be a thing on the programs end so you don't end up with fliers and swimmers with shadow blobs in mid air?
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I'm about to tackle shadows properly, which means I will need to go and remove every shadow well meaning but misguided folks have already added.

edit: Current plan is translucent shadows (same way we did the water for now) with optional height indicator

Secondly: I did a little overlay to see how my sprites look in the overall theme and I'm wondering if they're not saturated enough or maybe I need to darken my outlines?
Hmm. The bat seemed to fit in pretty well when I tried in- I didn't look too closely at the others though, since I was mostly checking out whether animation worked
Thirdly: Like Deon pointed out rather wisely, having a screen full of the same animated sprite (aka a mermaid farm) would kind of be like sand paper on the eyes, so like he suggested (I think its what he was saying) maybe give the females a slightly offset animation
Currently, each critter has a sort of randomish offset into the animation sequence, so they come in 6 different timings. (Which means anything done at sprite drawing time is moot anyway)
Fourthly: Is it worth me trying to stick to a self implimented scale scheme deally, like I've been trying to do so far, but I'm afraid that It might end up with the little critters looking to small?
I think trying to keep things vaguely to scale is good, but only vaguely. "Critter X is bigger than Critter Y" should be preserved, but not "Critter X is twice as large as Critter Y". And yeah, it'll probably get messed up at various points as different sprites are added, but lets aim for vaguely ordered sizes and not worry too much about the fine details.
and whipped up some babies and a mole dog so far today :P

Baby olm, baby bat, naked mole dog (not so sure on him or the baby bats animation.... prolly back to the drawing board)

To Jonask and the rest of the team: I'd love to help out, I was going to get back into finishing my set, but then i saw this piece of awesomness you guys have been working on :P I dont really care if animations make it in or not, its more so just for me to practice, but its better getting them done with each sprite as I do them if you do manage to get it implimented.
Did you see my last post?
I just picked a raw (subteranian) and im working my way down the list... which reminded me of something... skeltal and zombie versions! Not sure if you can display the difference yet, but like i said, its better to get them all done out at the same time than having to go back and revisit..... so onwards to skeletal versions! :P
Good thing I got undead configs working then...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:52:39 pm by kaypy »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 28, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »

Beefmo, a word of warning -- don't bother making skeletal/zombie versions of the civilized creatures, not yet anyway.  There's no way from them to appear in the current version, and it's not clear whether those afflictions are sticking around (in their current form, anyway).

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 28, 2009, 08:56:31 pm »

Clearly the correct choice is D for Dwarf.

i allways thought dwarf was spelt with a ☺, D is more like a Donkey

also, will stonesense ever port for linux?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:58:18 pm by Askot Bokbondeler »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 28, 2009, 08:57:12 pm »

OH! And kaypy if you need the individual frames at all just post and ill put them in :P save that triggerhappy print screen button!
I can save the gifs and pull out the frames fine. The reason for the printsceening was that that image was actual, "in-game" (in-visualizer?) footage of the animation in action in Stonesense.
Beefmo, a word of warning -- don't bother making skeletal/zombie versions of the civilized creatures, not yet anyway.  There's no way from them to appear in the current version, and it's not clear whether those afflictions are sticking around (in their current form, anyway).
4.1 no. They work on the trunk though.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 28, 2009, 08:59:18 pm »

also, will stonesense ever port for linux?
A bunch of folks have it running. Theres instructions in the SVN and on the forum somewhere. Like a lot of linux stuff its 'compile your own' though

edit: The flip side of that is that you wind up with an up-to-date version rather than the last time we bothered making a release 8-)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:04:11 pm by kaypy »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 28, 2009, 09:03:45 pm »

IT also takes some kernels down with it.
He meant that there's no way for them to appear(be created) in DF40d.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 28, 2009, 09:05:04 pm »

Haha, yeah, sorry, I meant the current version of DF.  It used to be that you'd encounter skeletal axelords and zombie peasants and so on, but it just doesn't happen anymore, so those art assets will never get used.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 28, 2009, 09:09:01 pm »

Haha, yeah, sorry, I meant the current version of DF.  It used to be that you'd encounter skeletal axelords and zombie peasants and so on, but it just doesn't happen anymore, so those art assets will never get used.

Ah. Ok. Of course, if you go having fun with creature flags you can always make your own...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 28, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »

I can save the gifs and pull out the frames fine. The reason for the printsceening was that that image was actual, "in-game" (in-visualizer?) footage of the animation in action in Stonesense.
An option to save animation?
Or just doing something like having controls for animation toggle/nextindex/previndex.

Ah. Ok. Of course, if you go having fun with creature flags you can always make your own...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tilesets

Beefmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrug?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 28, 2009, 09:12:13 pm »

To kaypy: Oh! i didnt realise that was an actual screen cap from stonesense.. thought it was just a mockup... thats awesome! Is there any limitation on the number of sprites per animation? any goal to try to keep them under... and another question... how does a skeletal bat actually fly? ><

To Footkerchief: You know.... i always wondered why people wanted zombie/skeletal versions of the races in my tileset.. I'd never seen them in game.. but then again I'm pretty late on the DF train :P And since there seem to be plenty of capable people working on the race sprites I thought I'd go for the creatures since I never got around to doing them in my tileset, so zombies and skeletons for all!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 28, 2009, 09:24:18 pm »

To kaypy: Oh! i didnt realise that was an actual screen cap from stonesense.. thought it was just a mockup... thats awesome! Is there any limitation on the number of sprites per animation? any goal to try to keep them under...
Currently, all animations are 6 frames. Which gives neat 2 or 3 frame versions, and OK four frame versions if some of the frames can be longer. (You'll notice that the bat there zips through the wing outward phase and lingers in the up or down). That may not always be the case, but now I have it working, changes to the animations are lower priority than a ream of other stuff I could be working on. (I dont rule out the possibility of sufficient artwork being a motivating factor in changing that... it certainly helped with getting animation in in the first place)
and another question... how does a skeletal bat actually fly? ><
Bloodymindedness. There's less blood in there than with the zombies, of course, but the skeletons can also flap faster.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 379