Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698788 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1545 on: November 28, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »

Nice work on the shadow blob Kaypy, I particularly like the height indicator though it might look a bit better with a more blurred edge so it seems to actually be an extension of the shadow.  Can you toggle shadow rendering on the 'light' value of a tile or apply shadow over the terrain tiles themselves to make underground areas dark?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: November 28, 2009, 10:04:52 pm »

So kaypy, we should make all future sprites without shadows?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: November 28, 2009, 10:07:01 pm »

Yeah, even if automatic shadows doesnt work out, its always easier to add things than remove them.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: November 28, 2009, 10:11:53 pm »

Ok, cool.

Also, what is the general brightness level we should be working with? I know we have many different artists working here, but a consistent color pallete or luminosity will help a lot. Should we work on that on our own, and will somebody we compiling the artwork and checking these kinds of things?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:56 pm »

...the semiproblem: Now, something back in the draw order will depend on something later, if fliers/swimmers. So, place shadows when loading?

Also, shadows on surfaces.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: November 28, 2009, 10:19:22 pm »

Nice work on the shadow blob Kaypy, I particularly like the height indicator though it might look a bit better with a more blurred edge so it seems to actually be an extension of the shadow.
*That* one is still a mockup- I try to specifically mention when I have something that actually works...
Can you toggle shadow rendering on the 'light' value of a tile or apply shadow over the terrain tiles themselves to make underground areas dark?
Without proper alpha and a plan for showing flying stuff underground, I will probably be keeping it simple for the moment. Hey, let me get something that works- then we can worry about the details 8-)
Ok, cool.

Also, what is the general brightness level we should be working with? I know we have many different artists working here, but a consistent color pallete or luminosity will help a lot. Should we work on that on our own, and will somebody we compiling the artwork and checking these kinds of things?
Hmm... Solifuge is theoretically Artistic Overseer. I just turned up about a dozen pages into the thread and started doing stuff...
...the semiproblem: Now, something back in the draw order will depend on something later, if fliers/swimmers. So, place shadows when loading?
Yeah, that's what I'm wrestling with now. Also, shadows from multiple critters on the same tile, shadows needing to be different sizes, so needing more config, and probably more I haven't thought of. This isn't going to happen instantly, and will probably need a few tries and a good runup...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: November 28, 2009, 10:28:07 pm »

Height indicator...doesn't look that good as a shadow, to me.

a few brainzaps on options:
Art: 1. predraw all shadows. Takes a bit of art time.
2. pre-drawn generic circle shadow. Not so good.
3. look at width of sprite, pick a circle shadow based on that. OK.
Detection: 1. Place shadows as loading. Best: Place creature, flag(/index) for shadowing, place floor, place shadow, clear flag. O(1) detect time per creature. Can handle collisions by masking shadows together, possibly, if you're using unique shadows, or just picking the larger. (note: requires loading top-down for this nice case. O(x*y*sprite) space)
2. Place shadow when drawing creature. O(h), may have draw order issues- but there are draw orders that will make it not matter. O(1) space.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: November 28, 2009, 11:11:14 pm »

Ok, here's a Goblin Archer:

No shadow, no attempt at clawed feet.

For rendering shadows, I think there should be an alpha kind of thing, so it's not a solid black shadow, just a circle under the creature that darkens the underlying surface.

I don't know programming much, but if you could do something similar to using magenta as our transparency color, could you have a specific shade of gray as our shadow color? And for every case that shade is used, it just darkens the surface underneath it. Is that a feasible option?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: November 28, 2009, 11:18:05 pm »

For rendering shadows, I think there should be an alpha kind of thing, so it's not a solid black shadow, just a circle under the creature that darkens the underlying surface.
Evertually, we will probably get proper alpha support. Until then, its likely to be an 'every other pixel' job like the water

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: November 28, 2009, 11:36:09 pm »

Just had one of those epic things happen in my fort and started to take screen shots as it happened.  Stonesense worked really well.  Only thing missing was the blood and body parts.  Any chance of getting those in at all?  Would make fights look very epic.

In case you would like to know what happened

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45496.0

Posting here as Stonesense was used aquite a bit for the pictorials.  Thanks.  Really made the story come out.

Yoj
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:55:13 pm by YojimboUsaka »

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: November 28, 2009, 11:46:17 pm »

I do believe you mean this, not the link you posted.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: November 28, 2009, 11:53:29 pm »

Thank you sir.  Most kind.  Corrected.

Yoj
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:55:43 pm by YojimboUsaka »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: November 29, 2009, 12:00:35 am »

Just had one of those epic things happen in my fort and started to take screen shots as it happened.  Stonesense worked really well.  Only thing missing was the blood and body parts.  Any chance of getting those in at all?  Would make fights look very epic.
Eventually they will most likely be in: bloody splatters are a known occ flag, so shouldnt be too difficult. But items are going to be a real pain.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: November 29, 2009, 12:18:56 am »

Eventually they will most likely be in: bloody splatters are a known occ flag, so shouldnt be too difficult. But items are going to be a real pain.

FYI the current splatter system is going out the window with the next release -- instead of being part of the map format they'll be more like items, i.e. they'll be allocated as needed, and can be any material in any solid or liquid form.

As for items themselves, this was another feature that Lifevis had.  Presumably he'd found a reasonably efficient way of handling it.  You can see items (blue blobs) lying on the ground in that demonstration video.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: November 29, 2009, 12:29:41 am »

As for items themselves, this was another feature that Lifevis had.  Presumably he'd found a reasonably efficient way of handling it.  You can see items (blue blobs) lying on the ground in that demonstration video.
"Is there an object here" is relatively easy- theres an occ flag for that, so I had it on a branch a few weeks back. Anything beyond "an object" eg "what kind of object" suddenly becomes much harder.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 379