Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698808 times)

Voligne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1800 on: December 02, 2009, 11:44:45 am »

I always imagined dwarves to be proportioned properly >.>

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #1801 on: December 02, 2009, 11:48:40 am »

Zaratustra, so far I can get nothing from the site other than the original image, though it even renames the resultant image after the new file. Yes the file is PNG, and the proper size.

Wierd.

Sorry, should work now.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 02, 2009, 11:52:37 am »

Zaratustra, so far I can get nothing from the site other than the original image, though it even renames the resultant image after the new file. Yes the file is PNG, and the proper size.

Wierd.

Sorry, should work now.

still just display the png here. works fine, awesome app! it would be handy to get a tiled preview of the result also. like a 6x6x6 block or so.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:16:23 pm by dyze »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 02, 2009, 12:07:47 pm »

hate to interrupt all the discussion about boobs

but I made a little php app

it picks a texture like this

and makes it into this

you can try it at http://zara.verge-rpg.com/dorf/blockifier.php?filename=http://zarawesome.googlepages.com/shalewall.png and replace the latter url with whatever you want see if it works

Awesome dude!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:03 pm »

The app looks great, but it seems the example image broke somehow. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: December 02, 2009, 01:02:52 pm »

Wow, neat. Lacks fortifications and different wall textures, but really neat. Much better than my render attempts anyway.

Looking at the result, I can't help but think the texture needs a fourth (maybe even a fifth) shade, for different ramp directions. The "inward corner" ramp looks too solid right now, not sure if you'd distinguish it in a multi-level shot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: December 02, 2009, 01:07:27 pm »

Sorry for female audience, I supposed I could recieve a reply like this.

Pretty sure the complaints all came from guys. Guys who are deeply suspect... if you know what I mean.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: December 02, 2009, 01:22:33 pm »

Heh, I pmed that girl and she is ok and fine, she told me she just pointed at the facts. I am OK with facts :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: December 02, 2009, 02:13:07 pm »

I'd like to not be referred as 'that girl'.  And yes, there are women on this forum board.

Anyway, whatever happened to Suess and his awesome plants/trees?  Is he gonna make any more or did he make one for everything in vanilla already?

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 02, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »

Pretty sure the complaints all came from guys. Guys who are deeply suspect... if you know what I mean.

Heh heh... I know what you mean buddy.  Guys who object to depicting all women in fetish gear with breasts bigger than their torsos are all GIANT FAGGOTS.  Am I right guys? Woooo!

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 02, 2009, 02:48:13 pm »

This thread has run terribly, terribly off-course. ...perhaps Deon could move further additions to his dwarf-tileset to a separate thread, so that people wouldn't grow concerned that it would be bundled with Stonesense as a default? Because I think that would pretty much resolve most people's concerns.

Also, Puzzlemaker, nice app!

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #1811 on: December 02, 2009, 03:29:04 pm »

maybe even a stonesense sub-board

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #1812 on: December 02, 2009, 03:47:54 pm »

(( Advanced apologies for the long post, I didn't realise it had grown so much while writing! ))

I've been lurking in this thread for quite a while now. I've not contributed much (read-also: anything), though I checked out the source of the last version and fiddled with a few ideas and I've even been getting itchy to try my hand at some sprites though the last time I did anything similar was over a decade ago on the C64!

But very recently all this arguing has really sapped my motivation and even the enjoyment I got out of just following the thread as a whole. First with the heated discussion over the artistic style and now Deon's dwarven sprites. The annoying thing is that they're both worthwhile subjects to discuss, but there's so much heat and barely veiled anger mixed in with it all that it just becomes draining to read any of it.

I imagine that it's almost inevitable that when putting forward these sorts of critical opinions regarding someone's creative efforts that people's reactions will be -- at least in part -- hostile, especially when both sides of the argument sincerely believe their argument or that it's of significant importance. (I think some people have mentioned that they fear Deon's sprites would cause some people to be turned away from Stonesense, for example.)

Initially people generally seemed careful about how they put their thoughts into words, attempting to avoid causing any more disruption than their opinion would cause in and of itself. But as the thread rolls forward and the general dissatisfaction grows people seem more willing to throw caution to the wind, perhaps because they feel the thread has already decayed into an argument so there's no point in pulling the punches any more and I just find myself yearning for the time when every third or fourth post was someone posting their sprites and the posts in between were constructive pointers on how they could be improved or praise, instead of calling someone out for a perceived insult or clearing up who you were aiming some part of your post at, or any number of other comments which seem less and less aimed at stonesense but at the personalities involved with its creation and evolution. That's sad for two reasons, for one I get the impression that more and more energy is being diverted from contributing to the development in favour of contributing to the discussion (which at least half the time seems less about contributing to the discussion itself and more championing or defending someone's opinion or even their right to have one at all) and the second reason is, as I've said, the topics are worth discussion but now seem to be generating so much animosity that the worth of the discussions is costing more to the project in lost time and or interest than it could hope of returning by way of useful progress.

Several people have already tried to calm things and suggest we move forward (not necessarily away from these topics) but still things seem to be boiling over, I'm not sure that people have really calmed down from the first topic and perhaps some of the energy in the discussion regarding Deon's sprites is spill-over.

This is all my opinion of course and can be accepted or discarded as you see fit, for it is ultimately tied to my ability to perceive what's happening and understand it, and it goes without saying that I'm not omniscient. But if nothing else I would urge people to at least step back a little and return to the way these discussions began. That is to say that your points, even if I or anyone else were to disagree with them, are likely worth making and you certainly have the right to make them and contribute your opinions to the discussions taking place, but if we could try to be mindful of how we present those opinions, to return to being careful about how we word our thoughts to avoid creating any (more) disruption by how we say something rather than what we say, then I feel it would go a long way to bracing the thread (and perhaps even the project) from getting derailed and generally be much more constructive.

For the record I agree with the majority of the points raised in regards to Iconic vs Isometric art style, though I personally prefer the Isometric style and would use any rendered Isometric sprite set over alternatives where possible. This is a personal aesthetic choice born of the luxury that my choice doesn't impact the overall project; if there are rendered sprites available, I'll use them, if not I might create them myself! ;)

With the same reasoning, I have little problem with Deon's sprites. I don't really feel the female elements need to be emphasised as much as they are, but as things stand they don't offend me, if they did then I'd simply alter the sprites to remove the offensive elements and keep the rest. Much in the same way that if Stonesense implemented a feature I didn't like or felt could be done better in another way, I'd simply change it on my local copy -- though in regards to changing the code I acknowledge not everyone has the knowledge or confidence (which is often more the problem, in my opinion) to make those changes, I certainly think the majority of people have the ability to change a sprite set. But I also acknowledge that there are some concerns that people will be turned off Stonesense all together if they are not given the option to use a different set to begin with, and if someone who feels this way would like to make a set of female sprites for inclusion to offer future users the option then it would seem to be the best solution to the issue.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:52:28 pm by Cernunnos »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 02, 2009, 05:49:03 pm »

For the record, I was merely worried about risque sprites being in the thread.  Not exactly about their existence.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 02, 2009, 06:20:15 pm »

Well said Cernunnos. In light of that, should someone make a new thread? To be honest a new thread should be made every 100 pages purely out of respect for peeps who haven't run through the whole thing. It should reinvigorate the conversation as well.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 379