Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1698662 times)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2310 on: January 14, 2010, 03:42:28 am »

This thread has really died down...

how's it going jonas?

Yeah it's been calm since new years, but that suits me right now because I've been moving, and I don't have any internet in my apt. Combine this with the fact that I just got a new machine and I don't have any of my dev tools available.
Which means I can't really contribute much till I get things up and running again. Hopefully it will be soon. I'm going a bit stir-crazy.

Other than that I think an important step right now is to empower the artists and modders who want to contribute and/or make alternative graphics. I was thinking setting up a separate thread for graphics pack development, see if we can get people exchanging ideas and having fun with it :)

Then there is also the looming next version release, which will mean a lot of work for us devs, so I guess a little down time is well deserved :)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: January 15, 2010, 03:50:45 am »

+1 for zoom out function

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: January 16, 2010, 10:54:25 am »

SO I just DL'ed Stonesense on my PC, loaded up DF and Loaded a Map, turned on SS, annnnd... It says "No map loaded"
What am I doing wrong>?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: January 16, 2010, 10:57:56 am »

Wrong DF version? It seems to be among the first causes of that error around here.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:17 am »

im using mikemaydays tileset and mod, would that make it not work? How do I get the "right" version?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:18 am »

Which version of Dwarf Fortress do you use? Not the mod, the game.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: January 16, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »

The Mayday set includes a preconfigured version of DF (40d16).  I'm using it myself and having no problems.

Have you tried running both programs as administrator?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: January 16, 2010, 02:07:43 pm »

Hey all. Just stopped in to say first, you guys are gods for making this. It's a visual treat, and takes me back to my 16-bit days.

Secondly, SS is displaying the non-custom names I gave my Dwarves. Is there any way I can mess with that, or change where it looks for the names to display?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: January 16, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »

Hey all. Just stopped in to say first, you guys are gods for making this. It's a visual treat, and takes me back to my 16-bit days.
8-)
Secondly, SS is displaying the non-custom names I gave my Dwarves. Is there any way I can mess with that, or change where it looks for the names to display?
Well, if you are compiling your own, then it would be as simple as uncommenting a block in the Creatures.cpp file. As near as I can tell, its commented out because the nicknames on my particular fortress dont work out well. 8-) (At the time, the names were more for debugging purposes than an actual feature)

edit: Or you could grab the latest trunk version...

On the other hand...
Also an option to display dwarf names only / creature names only etc would be handy.
Is it possible to change it so that it displays nicknames rather than first names?
I'm getting the feeling I really ought to overhaul the whole names thing. Add a few options, and maybe get some capitalization happening...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:27:04 pm by kaypy »

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:53 pm »

Maybe you could hide all names by default and have the user have to mouseover the dwarf he wants to know the name of? Also, name tag transparency. Say 50% by default and 100% on the dwarf you mouseover. This way you should be able to recognise dwarves relatively readily but still have a way to read their names clearly just in case.

But yeah you are indeed gods for making this. I was wondering, what happens when the presentation arc or whatever comes around. I think Toady won't implement anything that can't be used with the currently available tilesets.

Those were my two cents.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: January 17, 2010, 04:15:09 am »

Could I request a feature? The ability to "query" a tile; that is, report what the floor or wall is (material and constructed vs. natural), what buildings are on it (and if they're impassable), what items are on it (as of the last item update for that tile), level and type of liquid, creature occupancy, etc. This would ideally be activated by hovering the mouse over the desired square and pressing the "query" button. Since this information would already be stored by Stonesense it would just be a matter of retrieving and displaying it. This means that it should play nicely with the upcoming version - no work should be required to change the functionality beyond what would be done for Stonesense anyway.

I could potentially provide some pseudocode for the mouse position to tile function if you need it. It should be doable for you guys though, given the magic you've already wrought. The function might need to be used for the name display/mouse interaction anyway. A point to consider: should the function just return the first (highest z-level) non-empty tile underneath the cursor, or should it do a "raytrace" so you could choose a tile that is behind another tile with a ramp/creature in it? For example, if there is a bat in one tile and a dwarf in the tile isometrically below it, would we return the bat's tile all the time or would we return the dwarf's tile if the cursor wasn't pointed at the bat directly?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #2321 on: January 17, 2010, 05:12:46 am »

It is already in. It's called "debug mode".
<3

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: January 17, 2010, 06:36:18 am »

It is already in. It's called "debug mode".
We really need to get around to separating out the debug stuff from the general just-a-useful-cursor stuff at some stage though, so it can be brought out and shown to users rather than being kept chained in the config sub-basement...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: January 17, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

I found it funny when I first got stonesense and made the video, the most useful (to me) feature, automatic updating, was under the dev "not very useful" section of the init.
 ::)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2324 on: January 17, 2010, 03:13:33 pm »

Heh yeah, when I'm wrong I'm wrong  ;)

And thanks to you and that little video you we, and DF itself, got a lot of positive press!

Just look what a friend of mine found in this month's PC Gamer UK:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 379