Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204628 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1155 on: February 03, 2010, 08:49:57 pm »

1) Do magma buildings need magma directly below them?

2)
Can zombie/skeletal fire imps still fire fireballs?

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 03, 2010, 09:15:14 pm »

1) Do magma buildings need magma directly below them?

2)
Can zombie/skeletal fire imps still fire fireballs?

1, Yes, in one of the 8 tiles around the border of the center of the workshop.

2, No clue.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:56 pm »

One other thing - is it possible to 'replace' dug staircases with constructed ones in any way? I've got a few which are claystone but now I've got some Obsidian I'd really rather build them out of that.
Channel out the down stairs and use d - z on the up stairs. If you dig out both of them at once, the up stair needs to be rebuilt first as dwarves won't build a down stair over open space. This will change in the next version (woohoo!), but only until rope ladders are working properly.

Another question: if I allocate a zone of two tiles on the edge of a brook as a fishing area and have set dorfs to only zone fish will that help control overfishing? I mean will they only pull fish from those two squares so the ones who stay away won't get caught and can repopulate the brook?
No idea, sorry.

If I have four fields and I set each one to only one crop in only one season, but each field is allocated a  different season, does the time that a field is left fallow give any benefit to fertility and/or crop yield?
Not a bit. Plant as much as you like.

2)Can zombie/skeletal fire imps still fire fireballs?
Very much so.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 03, 2010, 09:34:50 pm »

Thanks. :)

Would I be able to fill a z-level with magma without the magma draining back into the pipe?

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:10 pm »

Thanks. :)

Would I be able to fill a z-level with magma without the magma draining back into the pipe?

Yes.  It will take a LONG time as magma diffuses as opposed to being pressurized.  And pipes refill semi-slowly.  Will not work with a pool.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 03, 2010, 09:54:02 pm »

I set my game to 20 dwarfs and the first chance I got 13 new ones and that kind of overwhelmed me. Can I inch it up in the INI file? Make it 10 till I get comfortable and then up to 14 kind of thing.
Or is that set in the initial game generation and thats it?

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 03, 2010, 09:55:50 pm »

How do I check what past liasons have asked me for?
I don't have the slightest clue what they requested of me, or when they're returning.
Should I just write it down in some notepad file from now on?

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:41 pm »

I set my game to 20 dwarfs and the first chance I got 13 new ones and that kind of overwhelmed me. Can I inch it up in the INI file? Make it 10 till I get comfortable and then up to 14 kind of thing.
Or is that set in the initial game generation and thats it?
Yes, but when it sends some, it sends a full wave, so if you were wanting 3, it could send a full 24 if you get bad (good?) luck.  But you can use a program like tweak to set your starting dwarves to 10, and set your INI to give you a 0 max pop.  You will never get immigrants until you change the INI after that.

How do I check what past liasons have asked me for?
I don't have the slightest clue what they requested of me, or when they're returning.
Should I just write it down in some notepad file from now on?
Hit C, then pick whichever civilization it is (most likely dwarf), then tab until it shows what it wants.  Alternatively, screenshot and past to paint when they tell you what they want.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:03 pm »

Ah, thanks a lot.
Sorry if I'm asking to many questions, I've got the basics of the game understood but don't feel like watching hours of video to find little things I want to know...

I have this idiot now sitting in a craftdwarf shop....He's possesed by a strange mood as usual, but he's sitting in the shop screaming "I must have wood logs!!"
There's wood logs in the room next to him....
And none of my carpenters currently have assignments but to dump the rocks from bedrooms...

How can he not see the rocks? I don't want this guy going insane and murdering his friends :(

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 03, 2010, 10:41:46 pm »

Moody dwarves collect materials in order. Is he only asking for logs? Or is there something else?

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:29 pm »

Moody dwarves collect materials in order. Is he only asking for logs? Or is there something else?
Right after posting I realized he needed metal bars...
All I have is silver ore...

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 03, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »

Then smelt them. You need a wood furnace for charcoal and a smelter to smelt them.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 03, 2010, 11:08:04 pm »

Then smelt them. You need a wood furnace for charcoal and a smelter to smelt them.
Well I know that, I've already got two metalsmith's smelting the only to ores at my disposal set to repeat in hopes of getting that guy some bars before he goes beserk and screws over everyone in my fortress...

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:47 pm »

Wall in his shop and lock the door if he goes insane.  If you can't do that easily, assign war dogs to him.  If he snaps, they'll turn on him.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 04, 2010, 12:12:26 am »

Thanks JaySeeSee
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 181