Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204664 times)

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2310 on: April 20, 2010, 04:05:45 am »

It says that it needs bone/wood/something working. Do I need -all- of them on one dorf?
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 20, 2010, 04:06:43 am »

it just means you need one dwarf with any one of those labors enabled.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 20, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »

Aha, I finally got it made (though I don't think anyone's actually making crafts yet).

And now, I've got my first caravan! I'm excited and a little concerned, I don't think I have much worth trading (except an extra door sitting around and some buckets @_@)

ETA:
and the trader's name is Urist. I might have lol'd.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:04:04 pm by PhoenicIan »
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 20, 2010, 03:40:10 pm »

Adventure Mode (the first question can be answered with Dwarf Mode experience)

Query:
What materials are the best used in armour and weapons? At the moment, I've got iron, bismuth bronze, bronze, and copper gear. This is due to a LOT of dead people. I'm talking with a shopkeeper who possesses a steel version of my iron weapon (a maul). . .

Query:
How do I go about trading? I've managed to do a few successful trades with a shopkeeper, and gotten plenty of coin from him, but I have no readily apparent way of determining value. I don't want to undersell myself, but I think if I am consistently too high he'll just get pissed. . .

Any assistance rendered will be greatly appreciated, and honoured with the slaughter of megabeasts.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 20, 2010, 03:47:23 pm »

IfI remember correctly,

everything made of bronze is really deadly now,
due to the high weight of the brionze weapons.

As for  your querys about currency...
dunno, but exchanging items for coins doesn´t seem to be the wisest choice...
every nation AFAIK has its own and won´t accept the currency of othernations,
so in other nations than that where you sold your items
all of your coins are worthless

Tinker Thinker

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRESSES_BUTTONS:RED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 20, 2010, 03:55:23 pm »

This isn't really an issue for me, as the only nation I'm trading with is my own, which is one of the largest nations on the worldgen, covering about 10% of the world's landmass, only outmatched by one other, AND, the species are more differentiated in my modified version, with certain weapons only being open to certain races (the one I have, for instance, can't use small or complicated weaponry, but can wield a lot of normally 2h stuff one handed). Even if it comes to that, I can probably trade back the currency for stuff and use that for currency exchange.
Does anyone else find my avatar looks crooked?

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »

IfI remember correctly,

Just a reminder, this is for 40D versions, not DF2010, so this statement is inaccurate for 40D.  Iron would most likely be your best bet from what you have.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:38 pm »

IfI remember correctly,

Just a reminder, this is for 40D versions, not DF2010, so this statement is inaccurate for 40D.  Iron would most likely be your best bet from what you have.
Except for that steel maul, which should be better than the iron one.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

MarkOfZero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 21, 2010, 01:03:53 pm »

In the newest version of DF is it not possible to search for magma pipes/underground rivers etc in the 'Choose Fortress Location' screen? Those features do not appear for me. What up wit dat?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:58 pm »

In the newest version of DF is it not possible to search for magma pipes/underground rivers etc in the 'Choose Fortress Location' screen? Those features do not appear for me. What up wit dat?

All locations now have cavernous layers, which may contain underground lakes or magma pipes, and all locations how have a magma sea below them as well(which is now really deep). So no, you can't search for them.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

MarkOfZero

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 21, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »

So yeah there are a ton of changes with the new version, is there anywhere that details all these changes?

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #2321 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:57 pm »

Hi all.

I'm new to the game, started this week.  It is horrendously tricky to get into, but using a combination of the wiki and searching through the many posts you helpful folks have shared, I've managed to get a nice wee settlement off the ground with a population of 50, plentiful food, and now some livestock and industry, as well as a couple of legendary fighters.  All with only one casualty so far (a strange mood that was apparently bugged - someone went 'possessed' but then just stood in the dining hall doing nothing until he died.  Oh well.  I had another four carpenters anyway).

There's one question I don't think I'll be able to search for, though.  What are the letters on the top left side of the main screen trying to tell me?  A few 'squares' below the PAUSE notice, I have a red C and green H.  I've only just noticed them, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 21, 2010, 07:16:39 pm »

Sinister: Your guy died because he didn't have the kind of workshop he needed.  If a mooded dwarf is standing in the dining hall doing nothing, check their skills.  If they have a special skill (like say Leatherworking), make sure there is a workshop for it.  If they have NO special skill, try a Craftsdwarf workshop.

The letters are C for Combat reports and H for hunting reports, hit "r" to view them.

Also, this thread is for 40D questions, and it sounds like you are playing the new version, DF2010.  Questions if you are playing that particular version go Here.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

sinister agent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Lonely as a Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #2323 on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:57 pm »

Ahh, yes.  I had noticed half a dead alligator in a pond out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by blood and bolts.  One of my immigrants apparently came with free bloodlust.  Wondered what that was all about.

Thanks for the help.  Cheers for the tip about the workshop, too. 

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2324 on: April 25, 2010, 05:57:38 pm »

Can anybody tell me the exact requirements to build a water wheel? I built one over a river with a screw pump attached, but it still says there is no power.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 181