Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204538 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #735 on: January 12, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »

@Monk, I thought it meant 'Peace'

--

Question:

How do you search for ores? I used to go dig criss-crossing mine tunnels on every level, 20 appart, the entire map.

Then I heard that isn't good for FPS. What is a FPS friendly way to search for ores?

I do think the "P" stands for peace as well. Goblins currently do have a special status, that makes them siege/ambush, no matter what the actual diplomatic status is. Until real wars with real reasons are properly implemented, that's a placeholder. Without this, the game would be boring, because there actually is peace most of the time. Having no enemies is great, but can make for a very boring game.

There is no way of exploratory mining, that won't drain some fps. That's because, dwarves try to path through all these tiny tunnels, even if they are just dead ends. Every accessible tile on the map, every expansion of your fort drains fps this way. So digging out more tunnels would be even worse and 20x20 is about as little as possible
Just wall off all the tunnels you don't need anymore when you're finished (those that found nothing interesting do dig out)to prevent unneccessary lag.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »

Exploratory mining can be made more FPS-friendly by making the tunnels two tiles wide.

Especially when you operate a system like mine, where ores are hauled to stockpiles near the smeltery.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 12, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

This is probably one of the stupidest questions on the thread, but...

Flashing "X" over animals (such as, oh, say a BATMAN...) means it's dying, right?

Bastard's spooking off my dwarves from building a wall.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 12, 2010, 06:58:22 pm »

@Skorpion moki Thanks, I will wall off what I don't need, and make what I do need 2 spaces wide.

@vhappylurker I think the color matters too. A white X means it is unconscious. I know at leas when it is unconscious, it has a white X.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:06:28 pm by Corinthius »

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 12, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »

This is probably one of the stupidest questions on the thread, but...

Flashing "X" over animals (such as, oh, say a BATMAN...) means it's dying, right?

Bastard's spooking off my dwarves from building a wall.
Going by the wiki, that means it's stunned, nauseous, winded or unconscious, depending on the colour. (Or it means that it's a recent migrant, but that seems... unlikely.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:04:26 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03:46 pm »

@Skorpion moki Thanks, I will wall off what I don't need, and make what I do need 2 spaces wide.

@vhappylurker I think the color matters too. A white X means it is unconscious. I know at leas when it is unconscious, it has a white X.

Going by the wiki, that means it's stunned, nauseous, winded or unconscious, depending on the colour. (Or it means that it's a recent migrant, but that seems... unlikely.)

It was apparently winded... And vulnerable to my three-dwarf kill squad. ^__^

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 13, 2010, 02:39:52 am »

I've been fooling around with making a drowning chamber, but I feel mine is needlessly complicated. What is one very simple method of making a drowning chamber?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 13, 2010, 02:43:50 am »

Exploratory mining can be made more FPS-friendly by making the tunnels two tiles wide.

Especially when you operate a system like mine, where ores are hauled to stockpiles near the smeltery.

Using one tile wide tunnels works fine for the exploration part, but when you want to get at the ore or whatever, just widen the tunnels to your liking.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 13, 2010, 02:58:09 am »

Yeah I'm not sure why two-wide tunnels would be better for pathfinding...  it'll will help with traffic, but that's not the same thing.  On the other hand, I'm no pathfinding expert.

One quick easy thing that can help with reducing the FPS drain from unused tunnels is to apply restricted traffic designations.  Also, if you have a lot of excess labor you can use fortifications carved into the wall to increase your line of sight without any new excavation.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 13, 2010, 03:35:58 am »

1. Which keys save my image?
2. Which layers will I find fish-stone in?
3. Will I find carp in fish-stone?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 13, 2010, 08:15:09 am »

What does setting doors as internal do? ',=\

PS Do merchants set off pressure plates?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:10:50 am by Jack_Bread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:44 am »

1. Which keys save my image?
3. Will I find carp in fish-stone?

Fish stone? What are you talking about? There is nothing called fish stone that I know of, even in mods.

For question 1, just use the printscrn key, or use alt+print scrn. Then open up your image editing program of your choice and paste it in there.

I have a question of my own.

What does it mean when a megabeasts name is flashing, or do they always flash? The reason I ask is because the new fort that I'm about to found has a cave in the local area of the embark (not the embark area itself, just in the same region tile when viewed from embark screen) which has a titan as a current resident.

I made a look and check it out embark on the cave (and plopped right next to the titan, lol. I paused before it did anything) and found the titan with its name flashing like it was a legendary peasant. Its completely healthy and I expect some Fun later when it decides to visit my new fort a couple of miles (I think) away.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 13, 2010, 11:17:24 am »

HOW I MINE FOR FISH?

::)
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:11 pm »

I've been fooling around with making a drowning chamber, but I feel mine is needlessly complicated. What is one very simple method of making a drowning chamber?

Get the target into the kill box. Raise the drawbridge. Feed water in from above. Wait. Drain water out the bottom.

How does that compare to your method?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 13, 2010, 12:53:17 pm »

I know its cheating, but I find the best way to perform exploratory mining is to copy your save to  a second copy of the game and run reveal.  I then run the shortest shaft i can and only excavate the minerals i'm interested in.

I do this now because I found that all of my exploring was extremely harsh on my FPS and on my fortress worth.  I'm doing obsidian farming now to build a tower anyway and most of my iron i either found setting up the obsidian farm (my fortress is next to the magma pipe in a region border with limestone) or killing orcs...
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 181