Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587577 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #2295 on: February 25, 2011, 04:33:53 pm »

Well, here's a question- would Active Literate Non-Editing Victory-Seeking Beginner's Mafia need or benefit from its own gametype, or do we just need some sort of Intermediate or Advanced Beginner's Mafia? Or on that note, maybe absolute newbies aren't cut out for regular BMs, and we need some sort of training pool for people who simply don't know what they're doing?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: February 25, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »

Well, Beginner's Mafia is for absolute newbies... so I guess Advanced Beginner's Mafia to keep slightly more experienced players busy would be more appropriate.
Although I don't see why those points can't all be addressed in a regular BM.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: February 25, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »

I think absolute beginners belong in the existing BM.  Hopefully they'll read at least the tutorial, if not a couple previous games.

What we do need are more "simple" games that are designed for anyone to join, like mountainous games or my Mafia Salad.  That'd be a good place for people with a couple games under their belts that don't feel ready to jump in to a Paranormal to play with the veterans of the board.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: February 25, 2011, 04:42:58 pm »

If there is a strong need I could probably run a near-mountainous version of Paranormal or Supernatural. It'd be easy to do a restricted ruleset with just the basic Roles.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: February 25, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »

Quote from: IronyOwl
Well, here's a question- would Active Literate Non-Editing Victory-Seeking Beginner's Mafia need or benefit from its own gametype, or do we just need some sort of Intermediate or Advanced Beginner's Mafia? Or on that note, maybe absolute newbies aren't cut out for regular BMs, and we need some sort of training pool for people who simply don't know what they're doing?

I think it being a different game type is good. As with the hammers, it trains newbies on how different game types or rulesets work, and how strategies need to be adjusted based on that. The VM format also emphasises Day play, rather than power roles, as well as activity; and is small enough, both in number of players and in duration, to grant (as you suggested) immediate feedback and bite-sized results. Hell, if they prove popular we could have two or three concurrent games.

But yeah, a near-mountainous game based on paranormal or salad would be just as good (though not as fast). I'm OK if people prefer that.

Darvi: those points certainly can and should be addressed in a regular BM, but they are not strictly enforced to give a chance for newbies to screw up once or twice without being penalised. They would be more strict in the BVM (if people like the idea). And yes, a cookie for good behaviour is something I suggest and think would be good motivation, but I'm not sure others agree or how to implement it. Suggestions or objections are welcome.
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: February 25, 2011, 04:49:45 pm »

Beginner's Bastard Mod, anyone?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: February 25, 2011, 04:51:22 pm »

Achievement unlocked: Chocolate Chip Cookie!

You got a cookie for good behavior during a beginner's game!

Ottofar:  Now that's just evil.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: February 25, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

I like it, but "Join and you'll figure out what's happening eventually, probably! HAHAHAHAHA!" might be a tough sell.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: February 25, 2011, 05:01:45 pm »

A point system could work. You know, you get points for regularly attending, but prods mean that you lose some and so on. They don't need to mean anything, just, you know, for comparison. Getting a full score is often a good motivator and is a delicious cookie too.

Awesome. Already got an idea for that one, if nobody would mind.

Achievement unlocked: Chocolate Chip Cookie!
was never locked to begin with :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:15 pm »

Awesome. Already got an idea for that one, if nobody would mind.
I'm honestly curious how you'd pull that off.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: February 25, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »

Well, an extremely role-light Game would be good start, as to keep things simple for the players. You know, regular roles like investigator or Godfather and stuff. Nothing like in BYOR.

But then the winning conditions aren't what they seem to be...

Edit: and I think that was an unorthodox usage of the term "extremely role-light". Just "role-light" would've worked better.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: February 25, 2011, 05:15:17 pm »

I dunno. Beginners often have trouble with just the normal game; higher goals or solving puzzles concurrently might be wholly beyond them.

Plus, it's in danger of distracting from the actual game in favor of hypothesizing about the bastard part, which would get in the way of them actually learning mafia.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: February 25, 2011, 05:17:41 pm »

Hmm, yeah. Maybe it shouldn't be quite "Beginner's" Bastard Mafia. Rather something for people that have finished some games, like Tolyk or me. So... "Mafia for Bastard-newbies"?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: February 25, 2011, 05:24:02 pm »

Hmm, yeah. Maybe it shouldn't be quite "Beginner's" Bastard Mafia. Rather something for people that have finished some games, like Tolyk or me. So... "Mafia for Bastard-newbies"?
But, then we have to find a bunch of newbies conceived out of wedlock...

And I do have an idea for a new type of game, but I'll bring it up in Discussion first.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: February 25, 2011, 05:24:39 pm »

Maybe just a Bastard Lite or something? I think that'd be a good description if the idea is that not everything is as it seems, but it's not full-on lunacy like some of the more outrageous games we've got.

Of course, Meph's Bastard Paranormal was kind of like that. It was still role-heavy, but the bastard part wasn't fantastically bastardy.

...I now want to run Fabulous Bastard Mafia for reasons I'm not sure anyone can really fathom. I don't even know how that would work.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 443