Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 587473 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #3750 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

Shortens are almost never used because of how impractical they are and how scummy you look while using them. Seriously. You can't use them as either alignment unless you're sure someone's scum.
Can't tell if serious of joking.
That's serious. Shortens are pretty terrible, and are only used if the Day has been extended at least once, or if someone was going to be Hammered anyhow.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: January 26, 2012, 03:16:26 pm »

GG, why are you so set on quick games? Do you only have 33 days to live or something?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »

Because long games lead to boring lulls, waning interest, dropped players, and the constant mafia-induced tearing at my mind that slowly drives me crazy if it continues for more than two weeks.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: January 26, 2012, 03:32:25 pm »

Because long games lead to boring lulls, waning interest, dropped players, and the constant mafia-induced tearing at my mind that slowly drives me crazy if it continues for more than two weeks.

No wonder you don't play Paranormal. :P
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: January 26, 2012, 09:09:53 pm »

I'm hoping to run a few vanilla 9 or so person games after doing a BM, assuming people like my flavor and modding.

So, there's that for vanillas if there's interest for it.  I'd also love to play in a couple, since I'm a bit too experienced for BM games but far from a pro and really need the practice.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:05 pm »

Honey, I'm home!

Did you miss me?
Yay!

Well what I mean by "hammers" is that the day doesn't end until there's a majority vote on someone (like #mafia, or alternatively like mafiascum where they generally have a really long deadline (2 weeks or so) that noone wants to reach because the momentum will be pretty much lost from the game by that point).  It means that the town has to have come to some kind of consensus before the day ends, so people don't just get, say, 3 votes from a bunch of lurkers then get timed out.  It also means the scum generally has to do something if they want the day to end and not just lurk.  Seeing who's prepared to place the hammer vote is always fun too.
How does that work out? Better, worse, just different?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: January 27, 2012, 02:05:25 am »

Maybe I should throw another NSBM/NMM game together.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:19 pm »

Pandar:  Not only do I think you should, but I also think you should make it hammers only.  I think we're getting into a rut, and a hammers game would help mix things up.  Hammers are perfectly tolerable in a 9 or so player game.  (This isn't your old 19p monster.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »

Pandar:  Not only do I think you should, but I also think you should make it hammers only.  I think we're getting into a rut, and a hammers game would help mix things up.  Hammers are perfectly tolerable in a 9 or so player game.  (This isn't your old 19p monster.)

Personally, I never much liked hammers-only games. Too slow and ponderous.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »

How does that work out? Better, worse, just different?
I think that if you can at least have enough activity to make sure hammers happen at some point then it works out way better and more interesting.  Lynches give you more information when someone actually has to personally "pull the trigger" and hammer them, for one thing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »

Hmm. That makes me want to devise a game with roles based around lynching and hammers.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: January 27, 2012, 03:04:14 pm »

Quote from: >>>Mephansteras<<<
Something about a new game.
ININININININIIIIIIIIIIN

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:35 pm »

Personally, I never much liked hammers-only games. Too slow and ponderous.

And our current games with their 8 extensions aren't slow and ponderous?

[I can't say too much, having not deviated from my unlimited extension policy]
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: January 27, 2012, 04:41:12 pm »

I've been considering the implications of rising votes needed for further extensions, like 33% for the first, then 33%+2 for the next, and so on.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: January 27, 2012, 04:43:32 pm »

Isn't that... pretty standard?

I only ever allowed one extension in my game though, and that was only for whatever half the normal day time was. I never  had anyone complain that they wished they had more time - the only result was people generally spent a lot more time posting than in the games with infinite extensions.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 443