Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 443

Author Topic: Games Threshold Discussion and List  (Read 585240 times)

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: Games Threshold Discussion and List
« Reply #4605 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:59 am »

What about a weekend, flavorless flash mafia?

Start it on a Friday night, with days 4-6 hours long, and 1-2 hour nights (or five-minute nights, since everyone should be online).   Have play suspended between midnight and 8:00am (work out which time-zone between all the players before-hand) so everyone has a chance to sleep, but otherwise treat it as a marathon session where everyone is expected to check in at least once per hour (two hours?).

Or maybe a weekender's mafia?

Days are Friday - Sunday, nights are Monday - Thursday.  That way those of us with school/jobs don't need to check in during the week, when we're busy.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: August 29, 2013, 12:08:57 pm »

Well, you could do an IRC Mafia at that point. Forum mafia doesn't hold out too well for that sort of thing. I still even have RoguelikeBot, but he's not really fully functional yet. Or half-functional.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: August 29, 2013, 12:21:42 pm »

It's at least quarter functional!

Web, you should make an isketch mafia!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: August 29, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »

I have an idea for a very light-flavor mafia that could work well for enforced short turn-around on days and actions. I might be up for running one of that soon.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: August 29, 2013, 01:19:07 pm »

My previous "2 days per day, single 1-day extension, instant night" sort of games certainly seemed to be enjoyable for the players, who thought it moved at a good clip (if I remember correctly).

The primary issue there was that hosting them was a lot of work. But I would much, much MUCH prefer to actually play in that sort of game.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: August 29, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »

If we want a quick and intense BM version, I'd suggest running a different setup.  Vengeful is the obvious one.

On an unrelated note, I kindof want to run a Kill Everyone Mafia sometime.

e: actually, any nightless setup could work better for beginner games, long breaks tend to damage interest in the game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: August 29, 2013, 01:22:18 pm »

And personally I've found nightless setups do nothing to actually make the game any less fun, and long nights are the thing most likely to kill my interest in a game. You just get the players to submit their night action by the end of day.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: August 29, 2013, 01:30:53 pm »

Hmm... I need nighttime to write buttloads of PMs, and always appreciated long nights as a time to get my second wind while playing.

I try to ask people to get in their night actions ASAP and usually about half get them in the moment the lynch is written up, while the other half will send right before deadline, if then.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: August 29, 2013, 01:31:43 pm »

I'll also also support the idea of shortening some of the Days and Nights as necessary.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:45 pm »

Hmm... I need nighttime to write buttloads of PMs, and always appreciated long nights as a time to get my second wind while playing.

I try to ask people to get in their night actions ASAP and usually about half get them in the moment the lynch is written up, while the other half will send right before deadline, if then.

Hence my idea for a quick day/night cycle being for a flavor-light game. I don't think I could rush a Paranormal or Supernatural night too much, simply due to the time I need to write flavor. Although I have cut people short when they take too long to send in night actions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: August 29, 2013, 01:44:43 pm »

Also why I mentioned nightless games are primarily tougher on the host rather than on the players. But the problem with the BMs isn't a lack of host dedication, it's a lack of player dedication - I'm pretty sure I could handle flavour for a BM game AND PMs with an effectively nightless game. (maybe an hour of downtime) with no problems.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: August 29, 2013, 01:48:43 pm »

My previous "2 days per day, single 1-day extension, instant night" sort of games certainly seemed to be enjoyable for the players, who thought it moved at a good clip (if I remember correctly).

The primary issue there was that hosting them was a lot of work. But I would much, much MUCH prefer to actually play in that sort of game.

This is almost exactly what I had drafted up, actually. It'd run as follows:

Using a seven player setup, the game would have instant nights whereby players submit their actions on the day before (such as N1 actions submitted D1). With two days per Day, the seven player setup would take a maximum of six days to complete, and there would only be one available extension for the entire game - the seventh day, so that with the extension used on some Day the entire thing would only take a week to play. In most cases, there would only be two Days and thus would be completed within a normal 5-day work week.

While flavour is nice, that's not really what should be advertised. This could just be run with some light whimsical flavour, or no flavour at all; it'd just make the core Mafia gameplay stand out that much more.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: August 29, 2013, 03:17:08 pm »

Actually LNCP's suggestion sounds really good (Bird 7P is a great setup providing you're ok with making the newbie setup Open).  I'd be tempted to up the days to 3 days though, because I remember it being very hard to lynch anybody within 48 hours.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: August 29, 2013, 03:30:46 pm »

While flavour is nice, that's not really what should be advertised. This could just be run with some light whimsical flavour, or no flavour at all; it'd just make the core Mafia gameplay stand out that much more.

Yeah, I definitely agree for BMs.  I don't think I will ever run something alone that has zero flavor, but I think it's generally appropriate not to weigh down a beginner game too much.  Do people worry about screwing up the story the mod is telling?  I don't know.  I wish they wouldn't, since I'm ready for just about any permutation :X
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: August 29, 2013, 04:55:00 pm »

Web, you should make an isketch mafia!
How to do:

1) Draw a round of iSketch from any wordlist. Save your picture, but remove the word.
2) Send the picture to me. I try to guess what it is. That's your role.

Done. What other games need making?
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 443