Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The next version's changes/feature list. Spoilers: it's huge  (Read 26273 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The next version's changes/feature list. Spoilers: it's huge
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2009, 08:39:36 am »

Oh my. Seeing all those changes in one list makes one realize the scale of the coming update to it's full extent. I can't wait till it comes out. It will be so.. AWESOME!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Raminagrobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2009, 09:03:50 am »

I may be a little late, but I'm just writing this to thank SirPenguin.

This is a much needed synthesis, and your document is accurate and comprehensive. It will certainly help old players who don't follow this forum on a regular basis to shift to the new version. Also it will be of great help for the next wiki updates.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2009, 07:56:27 pm »

Alright, she should be all updated. I finished the FotF thread and the podcast transcripts. I bolded the new stuff.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AT8EQVUjrv96ZGc5cnBwOHZfMjgyY3FzZHFtanA&hl=en
Ended up with a word count of ~4900, amounting to about 11 pages, including pictures

Again, inevitably I missed some stuff or have some errors, so feel free to do some reporting!

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2009, 09:59:02 pm »

Crutches are now in the game, allowing one legged dwarves/injured people to walk normally (as opposed to crawl). They will move faster as they get comfortable with their new crutch
..new skills...walking with crutches

I'm betting this will produce legless legendary crutch walkers hobbling into battle on a pair of crutches.
And winning.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2009, 10:42:38 pm »

I'm not sure where, but I seem to remember Toady mentioning that legendary conversationalists no longer level up their strength and toughness.  That just because you're legendary in a particular skill doesn't mean you'll still be a combat maniac... that each skill can only level up particular stats.

But I can't find the quote, and it's not in the above list, so I may have imagined it. Or dreamed it, wishing it were true.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2009, 10:50:42 pm »

I'm not sure where, but I seem to remember Toady mentioning that legendary conversationalists no longer level up their strength and toughness.  That just because you're legendary in a particular skill doesn't mean you'll still be a combat maniac... that each skill can only level up particular stats.

Yeah, attributes are only "trained" by doing jobs that make use of them:

10/10/2008: [...] The first part of the outline here is to revise attributes and make them have a wider range of values that vary between individuals, with practice and disuse determining changes rather than skill increases.

10/19/2008: [...] You can set the range of the 19 attributes, with a slight bit of lumping how you like (the default is more bell-shaped, if you draw the bell with 6 lines), and you can also set the rate at which the attributes increase and decrease with use or lack of use, as well as the maximum value related to the starting value.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:48 pm »

Fellows. I find myself rather confused by the notion of a militia as described in the wiki, or more specifically, the noble list, as I couldn't help but notice... was it a militia captain? Something along those lines. Yes, try as I might, my research into the matter has not been fruitful. Could anyone here enlighten me as to what the militia is intended to be? I was unaware that an entirely new grouping of fortress guardians would be added.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29:35 pm »

The next version's militia is the current version's military.  It's called "militia" now to contrast it with the king's army, although that won't really exist until Toady does more Army Arc stuff.  Militia captains are squad leaders -- they needed a formalized entity position.  The militia commander is a new position above the militia captains.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:46 pm »

The next version's militia is the current version's military.  It's called "militia" now to contrast it with the king's army, although that won't really exist until Toady does more Army Arc stuff.  Militia captains are squad leaders -- they needed a formalized entity position.  The militia commander is a new position above the militia captains.

Thank you very much sir. That information will be very helpful.

Hang on, does that technically mean that the general and other similiar "king's army" noblemen are unavailable, as they simply haven't been developed enough? Or are they accessable once the king has arrived? Does the militia simply become the king's army upon the fortress becoming a mountainhome?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:51:16 pm by Owlbread »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2010, 06:00:18 pm »

Hang on, does that technically mean that the general and other similiar "king's army" noblemen are unavailable, as they simply haven't been developed enough?

Toady said that "world-level military ones are basically meaningless," so I'm guessing they're unavailable, yeah.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:38 pm »

Hang on, does that technically mean that the general and other similiar "king's army" noblemen are unavailable, as they simply haven't been developed enough?

Toady said that "world-level military ones are basically meaningless," so I'm guessing they're unavailable, yeah.

Again, thank you very much. I'll go about my business.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2010, 07:06:59 pm »

No problem, ask away if you have more questions that the List doesn't answer.

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2010, 12:28:14 am »

Wow, I wish I didn't read that list. I don't even want to play the current version anymore, and I only just started about a week ago. ;)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2010, 02:37:35 am »

So does the ability to use items such a blow-darts imply that dwarfs will be able to produce them? 
Will it be possible to have random artifact ones produced?
Thank you based dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2010, 02:46:24 am »

So does the ability to use items such a blow-darts imply that dwarfs will be able to produce them? 

Not without modding, no.  The main point there is that the new military equipment screen, unlike the one in the current version, will allow you to assign nonstandard weapons

Will it be possible to have random artifact ones produced?

Yes, but that's possible in the current version too.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8