Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110148 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)
« Reply #915 on: June 03, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »

Also good choice of music for the video. It gives a strong sense of wonder.

Yes, Joe (aka Sentientdeth) made all of that. His musical abilities are truly quite badass. I can't wait for people to hear the battle track he's composing right now. I've heard the first bits of it, and it gave me the shivers.  :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 03, 2012, 11:15:44 pm »

Also good choice of music for the video. It gives a strong sense of wonder.

Yes, Joe (aka Sentientdeth) made all of that. His musical abilities are truly quite badass. I can't wait for people to hear the battle track he's composing right now. I've heard the first bits of it, and it gave me the shivers.  :D

Oddly enough this is the second compliment I gave him on this thread but he really deserves no less. He puts adventure back into adventure. Everytime I hear it I want to whip out a 80s or 90s classic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 11:22:23 pm by Neonivek »

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
« Reply #917 on: June 03, 2012, 11:22:30 pm »

Thanks guys =)
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 03, 2012, 11:42:03 pm »

Oh, mother of god how have I not seen this before. This looks amazing.

Now I wish I had 2k laying around. :P
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 04, 2012, 03:13:32 am »

I think your rewards just cheated me out of 15-30 more dollars than I was planning to give. Damn you.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 04, 2012, 03:16:01 am »

I think your rewards just cheated me out of 15-30 more dollars than I was planning to give. Damn you.
I agree with this statement. I don't have this money, dammit!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 04, 2012, 06:18:15 am »

Er....the following is my opinion.

I think I dislike the Kickstarter's draft, partly because it doesn't really have the "reason" I was interested in it. If I was going in there without my previous knowledge of the game, I think I would dismiss it entirely as a bunch of buzzwords, with no actual focus on what the game is and how it is different from its competitors. And $5,000 also seem way too much for a roguelike.

Your Kickstarter, in fact, is having me doubt what the game actually is. What is Cult? Is it a standard roguelike with many planned features and random generation being the main gimmick? Or is it a roguelike combined with a strategy game, where you play as a cultist trying to restore your chosen God's honor, either through adventures into dungeons or establishing your own religious "cult" and conquering territories? If it is the latter, it should be mentioned in the first paragraph, before you start going into procedural generation.

EDIT: And if it is the former, then that should also be mentioned before procedural generation, so that the observer know what he's donating. I'm sure there are some people that like standard roguelikes as well. At least a sense of what this game is should help.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:22:08 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 04, 2012, 06:31:04 am »

Your Kickstarter, in fact, is having me doubt what the game actually is. What is Cult? Is it a standard roguelike with many planned features and random generation being the main gimmick?

No. I don't think you could accurately call it a 'standard roguelike'. Without even touching on the various features I'm planning on implementing (including building, political intrigue, and story generation, to name a few - which already disqualify it as a 'standard roguelike') the simple fact that it's real-time probably already kills the normal turn-based roguelike feel that a Nethack or ADOM player would be expecting, so it would have been silly for me to bill it as any such thing.

Or is it a roguelike combined with a strategy game, where you play as a cultist trying to restore your chosen God's honor, either through adventures into dungeons or establishing your own religious "cult" and conquering territories? If it is the latter, it should be mentioned in the first paragraph, before you start going into procedural generation.

Partially. Is Dwarf Fortress a game about playing dwarves and getting the king to arrive to your fort? Well... not really, but that's a small part of it. That's hardly the overarching goal or theme of the game, and I didn't want to pinhole Cult into some kind of similarly lame description, since it will essentially be a game where you create your own goals. Creating a religious cult need not be one of them.

In fact, there's a very explicit statement about what the game in the first paragraph:
Cult is an open-ended role-playing game set in a user-generated world with a strong focus on storytelling, exploration, and environmental interaction.

Sorry you don't like the Kickstarter.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:09 am »

Apology accepted. I just needed to express my thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:49:23 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

bertix

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is over-rated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:25 am »

Love your video and kickstarter page, you might have me as a spirit in-game haha.
Set phasers to tsun.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 04, 2012, 06:49:58 am »

It's fine. I just needed to express my thoughts.

No problem; it's better for me to hear concerns. It's impossible to satisfy everybody, but that doesn't mean I don't want to. At any rate, even if you don't want to contribute, you've posted many times on this topic and I appreciate your feedback.

Quote from: bertix
Love your video and kickstarter page, you might have me as a spirit in-game haha.

Awesome.  :D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:08:27 am by Lord Dullard »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:09 pm »

Aww...it's not live yet. I was looking forward to backing it today!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »

Aww...it's not live yet. I was looking forward to backing it today!

After finally getting everything sorted out with Amazon (*shakefist*) I'm now just waiting on Kickstarter to review it and (hopefully) approve it.  :(

On a positive note, Sentientdeth designed a badass font:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 04, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »

Actually when you think of it the reward system is actually smarter then it seems (even if it slightly invades the integrity of the project itself, but I assume that you arn't going to have games more then 50% fixed randomised content unless the game rolls really wonky).

It not only entices people to put more money into the project but it also serves almost like a suggestion box. Everyone's idea of what would be a awsome god, leader, civilisation, merchant, murderer, swordsmen, magician, or what have you... is going to be in there.

He is going to know what personality traits to fill out, how to make certain skills on NPCs noticable, mechanics and not only that but he knows those are the kinds of things people are going for because that is what the donators filled out.

Though I don't think that is what Lord Dullard had in mind.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:29:38 pm by Neonivek »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 04, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »

I really want to donate, if just to have a character that wanders in the forest that players can meet.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68