Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Help Wanted  (Read 68572 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: The Ark Project - Help Wanted
« Reply #300 on: April 26, 2010, 05:49:00 pm »

Yes, I would encourage you to buy this fine repellent for 5,000 credits.  It's guaranteed to keep them away at every tourist location!
Pfft. I could get like, five Magikarp for that.

Oh.. uh... I thought it was an Escape Velocity reference!   ???
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 26, 2010, 06:06:26 pm »

Yes, I would encourage you to buy this fine repellent for 5,000 credits.  It's guaranteed to keep them away at every tourist location!
Pfft. I could get like, five Magikarp for that.

Oh.. uh... I thought it was an Escape Velocity reference!   ???

Hey, I don't have to justify how my mind works. Apparantly I judge the value of money by how much pokémon it will get me. Just roll with it.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2010, 08:36:32 pm »

Hey, I don't have to justify how my mind works. Apparantly I judge the value of money by how much pokémon it will get me. Just roll with it.

Okay... Jigglypuff!  I choose you!  Go roll with it with Lancensis!

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 27, 2010, 03:50:27 am »

Status report!  I had been a little haphazard about putting in our lists all the mammals that DF already includes, and many of the fish and insects hadn't been covered yet either.  They're all listed now.  Also I noticed that the stingray family had somehow gotten mostly overlooked before, so I fixed that up.

The next thing I'll be working on, when I get a chance, is reorganizing rodents, which are just one giant group right now.  After that I'll be back to bony fish and maybe insects.  Birds are still a ways from being done, and arachnids are going to need some major reorganization and expansion.  Snakes are also a little sparse.

Firstly, XML will not be necessary here, since we can include any necessary metadata in comment lines.

Yeah, any kind of comments would work, I just mentioned XML for ease of parsing.

Also, geographical metadata would not be enough, even combined with the taxonomic classifications.  For example, we may decide that five frogs in a family are redundant with each other, but the sixth should always be included because of its distinct poison.  We would need a system that would allow a program to identify the five frogs and select two of them for inclusion, and always include the sixth.  Even worse, there will be cases where a group of redundant creatures include some family level entries and some genus level entries.

We could add our own redundancy groups to the raws in comment lines.  If we added a line containing '*normal_frogs' to the raws of the redundant frogs, a program could easily identify them, group them, and randomly choose which to include in the final raws without a geographical identifier.

How does that sound?

I have a couple objections:
  • One of our stated criteria for including creatures in the Ark Project at all is that they shouldn't be redundant with each other.  Sure, some of them are more interesting than others, but we already have a hard enough time making the binary decision of whether to include them or not.
  • Right now, creatures are grouped in one straightforward and easily comprehended way -- a taxonomic tree.  Groups that cross taxonomic lines ('*normal_frogs') would be difficult to work with -- there wouldn't be any way to see, at a glance, what groups exist and what creatures are in them.
  • Since the groups would be inherently built around whatever animals we currently have, adding new animals later would be a pain at best, and could potentially require that the groups be totally restructured -- and restructuring could mean removing strings from dozens or hundreds of creatures.  It's not flexible at all.
  • I don't see a reason why certain creatures should always be guaranteed.  Every continent has plenty of fascinating animals to go around.

#2 is also true for geographical data, but it's only a real problem when #1 and #3 come into play.

A similar system could be used for the dialect problem discussed before:
Code: [Select]
[PREFSTRING:coloration] *en-US
[PREFSTRING:colouration] *en-UK
The compiler would include only one of the two lines.

I'd prefer to avoid redundant data of this kind if possible.  Prefstrings aren't so bad, but it would get ugly with the description tag.  Early in the thread I found some utilities for automatically doing the American-British conversion.  If those work, they're the cleanest option for us by far, but nobody seems interested in checking them out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:53:00 am by Footkerchief »

Used

• Bay Watcher
  • A cup of maggotmilk a day keeps the goblin away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:47 am »

Great work done so far. Keep up this project, we can do this!

* Added some Serpentes

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:20 am »

Drop bears are like koalas, except they're much more active, carnivorous, 6 feet tall, with claws like scalpels and fangs. And they drop on you and eat you.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2010, 08:42:11 am »

Has anyone suggested a 4 armed humanoid ala Sinbad yet?  Might be fun to fight it or play as one.  Dunno if holding 4 swords will make for more attacks or not though.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:07 am »

4 swords won't be cool, but 3 shields!!! Because that's what the game does with additional hands.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Used

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2010, 10:54:15 am »

To come back to topic

Used withdraws from society...
Due to a strange mood i sorted all the spiders. It was fun. Really ! ^^

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2010, 12:03:02 pm »

Has anyone suggested a 4 armed humanoid ala Sinbad yet?  Might be fun to fight it or play as one.  Dunno if holding 4 swords will make for more attacks or not though.

This mod is for real life animals only, so no, we won't be including that...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2010, 12:24:45 pm »

As for the game not handling 3000+ creatures. I think there is something when it comes for Toady modding the game to make it more compatable with many creatures, civilisations, and civ creatures.

Though I don't expect that to be in any Dev or for Toady to get to it for a long time if ever.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:48:39 pm by Neonivek »

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »

Sorry, that's what I get for 'speed skimming' the front page.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 27, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »

I have added two most easily recognizable beetles from Carabus genus into ground beetles family. I like these guys since I meet them sometimes at the place where I spend my summer holidays, I got interested and learned quite a lot about them actually. I was going to add Carabus Coriaceus which is the biggest one of them, but it doesn't have any proper english name, and english wiki article about him is very short. I guess I will have to somewhat live without this species added to DF... ;P
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 27, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »

Y'know, I could swear I've seen that beetle. I always thought they were called "Darkling Beetles" but I'm apparantly wrong.

Sorry, that's what I get for 'speed skimming' the front page.

I suppose it's a testament to how bizarre nature can be, that an animated statue of a many-limbed god doesn't seem all that out of place at first glance.

Used

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 28, 2010, 03:28:03 am »

Hey guys,
i added some more spiders. I think we have enough spiders now but there is a leak of other Arachnids. This brought me back to the choosing-species-to-appear-on-site-randomly-application.

Assuming we have 100 different spiders and 5 different scorpions this app should choose a number of animals that relates to the number of species listed. (its a little hard to express my thougths because im not a native english speaker) Because it could easily happen that there are 20 spiderforms an not a single scorpion. In my opinion there should be a few of every order.

greetings used
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24