Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120725 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #570 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:53 am »

Alright, alot of information has gone up that I can't really comment on, but I have a question to Aqizzar: Earlier you mentioned something called "Razor-and-blade" selling or something or other. Can you explain what that is to me?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:45 am »

Ah, buggerfall. Almost completely unplayable even with the patch, but I loved it so.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 11, 2010, 10:08:32 am »

Alright, alot of information has gone up that I can't really comment on, but I have a question to Aqizzar: Earlier you mentioned something called "Razor-and-blade" selling or something or other. Can you explain what that is to me?

Sell them a razor for cheap, milk them on the disposable blades they have to buy every few weeks.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:03 am »

It's not perfectly applicable really, but I was referring to an old marketing concept, where you try to trick the consumer into coming back and buying something over and over, making money on what's really a minor part of the product.  The name comes from the original disposable-blade razor, where you got the actual razor frame cheap, but then got gouged on the blades for it, to make an easy pun.

I see the same kind of model running through the Downloadable Content system like wildfire, especially buyable content made available the same day as the gamebox itself.  $5 or less for extra Dragon Age quests, or car skins, song packs, or horse armor, or whatever, doesn't seem like much at any one time, but if you parse it out and get addicted to buying things you can wind up paying twice as much for what would have been one complete purchase not ten years ago.

It's basically the application of the Korean "a la carte" MMO subscription model.  Like eXteel or Guild Wars, you get the actual game for a flat fee, if not free, but you have to pay a little bit here and a little bit there for stuff that any rational person in days before high-bandwidth connections would have assumed an inherent part of the game you shouldn't have to buy separately at extra cost.  The pricing, availability, and in some cases perceived necessity of extra buying features (I'm looking at you Star Trek Online delux editions) is observably growing.  I'm increasingly wary of games that have the same relative amount of content as other games, but ship as essentially bare-bones shells and then charge you extra to own what's really the complete product you should have gotten up front for the original cost or at worst a bundled expansion pack, like it was in the good old 1990s.

Objectively, I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a buck, including video game producers.  They've just gotten considerably more brazen and shameless about trying to nickle-and-dime the customer for all you're worth, since the bandwidth and Internet infrastructure now exists to streamline the process.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:19:33 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:47 am »

ZT online is the worst about that.  It's a Chinese game, and if you want to accomplish anything in the game, you're spending money from day 1.  It's all really cheap, but since there's so much people end up spending the equivalent of hundreds of dollars a year on it.
Shoes...

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

Hmm, actually, Daggerfall for me is very similar to DF. Huge, buggy and full of theoretically exciting, but half-implemented things.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 11, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »

Of course it's similar. Haven't you noticed?

DaggerFall.
Dwarf Fortress.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 11, 2010, 03:35:14 pm »

Here's something else about modern games that may or may not be a problem.  OnLive game streaming.  Now you can pay a monthly fee to play video games on someone else's computer over the internet.  I guess it's not that terribly different from GamFly or something, except that your save data is stored by them as well.  On the one hand it might bring back the industry to computer games, on the other hand it would be without the most important things that make computer games completely superior to consoles.

My instinct is to dislike it because it's just another form on control, but it could actually turn out to be harmless to those who don't use it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:38:06 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2010, 03:41:52 pm »

Wait... I thought the entire point of that was that servers are doing the processing, so you can play games your computer normally couldn't run?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2010, 03:54:08 pm »

Wait... I thought the entire point of that was that servers are doing the processing, so you can play games your computer normally couldn't run?

That's what they want you to think.  In reality you're playing games that you bought, but don't actually own, because they're running somewhere else.

All you did was pay money to have the privilege of playing the game, sorta like pay-per-view movies: you never actually own the film itself.

They are, however, 100% pirate proof*

*Assuming their system isn't compromised in such a way that it is possible to get free games and without paying the monthly fee.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 11, 2010, 04:43:08 pm »

Turning great single player games into MMOs. Point in case KOTOR. (Will it be for the Xbox360?)
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 11, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »

You could use that sweet, old fashioned Irony Mark.

Or a new-fangled SarcMark.
awesome. Made of awesome!
Wait, I can't find it on my keyboard.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 11, 2010, 05:01:37 pm »

You could use that sweet, old fashioned Irony Mark.

Or a new-fangled SarcMark.
awesome. Made of awesome!
Wait, I can't find it on my keyboard.

You need to buy the SarcMark.
You heard me right.
For money.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:20 pm »

You heard me right.
For money.

Lulzy. I tried to think of a few things to say, but concluded that this is so stupid it is beyond words.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 11, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »

You heard me right.
For money.

Lulzy. I tried to think of a few things to say, but concluded that this is so stupid it is beyond words.

I think this just means it's the perfect gift.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 66