Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120653 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #630 on: May 29, 2010, 11:52:41 am »

Oblivion and fallout 3 are both definalty console to PC ports. Things like the size of text and the way the inventory/menu systems work are blatantly designed to work around console limitations. I'm fairly sure in fallout 3 you could only hotkey weapons with your 1-8 keys because on the console it used the D-pad. It's not a huge issue by itself, but combined with all the other little niggling annoyances it can add up.

Boarderlands is another one that is a horrible port. Everything about that game is designed to be played on a console, and works pretty poorly on a PC.

There are many more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #631 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:56 am »

Oblivion was unplayable without several mods. I don't see why anyone ever bought it for console.

Fallout was a bit better, and worked alright on PC without mods, but still became a decent game only with mods.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 29, 2010, 11:57:23 am »

About the warez comment, warez is relitive to the seeds and steam has a static server, it would be hit and miss and steam would be fasted 60% of the time.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 29, 2010, 12:02:03 pm »

About the warez comment, warez is relitive to the seeds and steam has a static server, it would be hit and miss and steam would be fasted 60% of the time.

This post makes no sense.

1) "Relative."  With an "a"
2) Warez?  I don't see a recent post about warez (which is an improper spelling of the word "wares" which is an improperly pluralized abbreviation of the word "software").
3) You didn't quote anything.  Hence contributing to the confusion.  There are 43 pages in this thread, how far back in the conversation are you?
4) "Fasted" is the past tense of the verb "to fast" meaning to go without food.
5) "Statistics" should be plural in this context.

So even attempting to translate your post into real English still leaves me wondering WTF you're talking about.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 29, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »

Options>Key Configuration
No such thing for newer games ports. Menu keys are usually fixed in a very awkward way and you have radial menus most of the time, which were made for controller pads.

Take any recent game that uses "games for windows - live" such as Fuel, Alpha Protocol, Red Faction Guerrilla and so on. Fuel has some horrible menu keys, such as U and I or something similar to move the menu left and right instead of the arrows. Very very annoying.

I might add that I that I hate games for windows live as well, but I will also go on disliking other console games.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 29, 2010, 12:06:47 pm »

Not only that but his argument is wrong. Torrent uses up to 55% of all internet's bandwidth nowadays. Torrents are way way faster than any static server, unless you're using an isp that tries to block torrent traffic of course.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 29, 2010, 12:12:33 pm »

Torrents ain't faster then usenet. Dunno if usenet is a static server though. Seems like it is.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2010, 12:13:14 pm »

Torrents go much slower than static servers on my end.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 29, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »

Torrents ain't faster then usenet. Dunno if usenet is a static server though. Seems like it is.
Maybe for you, and that goes about everything speed related online anyway. Usenet is a collection of static servers.

Torrents max my bandwidth and never fall back down. Of course, you need to have it properly set up, making sure ports are open, if you need encryption or not, etc. It's very likely your ISPs do block some torrenting. That coupled with static servers being easier to use, it's understandable to go with them instead.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 29, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

Not only that but his argument is wrong. Torrent uses up to 55% of all internet's bandwidth nowadays.
The majority of bandwidth is used for streaming video. Torrents are, despite their relative popularity, fairly niche, especially given how few people pirate things to begin with...

Torrents are way way faster than any static server, unless you're using an isp that tries to block torrent traffic of course.
I've always had more trouble just not getting much from seeders/peers, to the point that some things I downloaded left me with share ratios higher than ten before I was even finished downloading. >:|

You run into similar problems with servers, in that the cap is whoever's bandwidth is smaller. With some servers (in my experience sourceforge and steam) you get significantly better speeds with a good connection, though other servers have lower capacity or throttle individual connections.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 29, 2010, 04:00:58 pm »

Not only that but his argument is wrong. Torrent uses up to 55% of all internet's bandwidth nowadays.
The majority of bandwidth is used for streaming video. Torrents are, despite their relative popularity, fairly niche, especially given how few people pirate things to begin with...
Not really. P2P is responsible for over half the internet traffic in most places, bittorrent being the one that's most commonly used. You also forget that a lot of things use torrents that are also legal. Quite a few of MMOs (WoW for example) and games update via torrent, a lot of them download via torrent. A lot of download sites have torrents available for the legal products. Torrent is also beginning to be used in video streaming.

As for the torrent trouble, really depends on your client and the tracker you're using. Of course, your ISP as well. They're best downloaded overnight when traffic shaping has less of an effect. On the servers, I download fast if it allows for file splitting (something getright does, for example), meanwhile, since I can't do that with steam, my downloads there are usually around 10% of my total bandwidth unless it's past 2am or so, when I get 100%.

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 29, 2010, 05:06:45 pm »

Have I said how much I hated console ports? I'm sure I did, but I must say that again.

I want pc exclusive games, but I doubt I will get any.

Most MMOs are PC-exclusive, but I'm guessing that's not really what you meant.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 29, 2010, 05:08:18 pm »

Have I said how much I hated console ports? I'm sure I did, but I must say that again.

I want pc exclusive games, but I doubt I will get any.

Most MMOs are PC-exclusive, but I'm guessing that's not really what you meant.
Yeah, I play them whenever they come out to see if they actually got better, but they're stuck to the same old formula right now. I meant triple-A single player games.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 29, 2010, 05:46:24 pm »

Yeah, I play them whenever they come out to see if they actually got better, but they're stuck to the same old formula right now. I meant triple-A single player games.

They are in fact so formulaic that someone made an appropriately named MMO Tycoon game .

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 29, 2010, 05:57:53 pm »

They are in fact so formulaic that someone made an appropriately named MMO Tycoon game .
I loled. I'm so going to play that.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66