Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120739 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #645 on: May 29, 2010, 06:34:10 pm »

I've noticed that the interface and menus for Dragon Age are vastly different between PC and XBox. Just something I noticed today.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2010, 07:46:41 pm »

Yeah, Dragon Age managed to evade the console feeling. I'd still play baldur's gate over it tho.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2010, 08:20:44 pm »

Yeah, I play them whenever they come out to see if they actually got better, but they're stuck to the same old formula right now. I meant triple-A single player games.
They are in fact so formulaic that someone made an appropriately named MMO Tycoon game .
I loled. I'm so going to play that.

It's ok.  Not great, but not terrible.  However, the game was written in the guy's open source Vector game engine.

Also, he/they are working on a version 2.0 which looks much better, based on the cursory glance I took at the blog.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 29, 2010, 11:28:58 pm »

As for the torrent trouble, really depends on your client and the tracker you're using. Of course, your ISP as well. They're best downloaded overnight when traffic shaping has less of an effect. On the servers, I download fast if it allows for file splitting (something getright does, for example), meanwhile, since I can't do that with steam, my downloads there are usually around 10% of my total bandwidth unless it's past 2am or so, when I get 100%.
This was on a university line, and varied drastically from torrent to torrent.

Yeah, I play them whenever they come out to see if they actually got better, but they're stuck to the same old formula right now. I meant triple-A single player games.
They are in fact so formulaic that someone made an appropriately named MMO Tycoon game .
I loled. I'm so going to play that.

It's ok.  Not great, but not terrible.  However, the game was written in the guy's open source Vector game engine.

Also, he/they are working on a version 2.0 which looks much better, based on the cursory glance I took at the blog.
It was a proof of concept entry into a contest based around procedural generation, if I'm remembering correctly. It's an interesting little game, but gets boring fast.

I've been following the devlog for a while, which is actually pretty interesting at times. Version 2 looks like it'll fun, and significantly more in-depth than the first.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 30, 2010, 09:09:21 am »

About the warez comment, warez is relitive to the seeds and steam has a static server, it would be hit and miss and steam would be fasted 60% of the time.
This post makes no sense.
Not only that but his argument is wrong. Torrent uses up to 55% of all internet's bandwidth nowadays.
The majority of bandwidth is used for streaming video. Torrents are, despite their relative popularity, fairly niche, especially given how few people pirate things to begin with...

Realy? Besides myself, the only persons that I know who don't pirate things are my parrents...

Besides that, my problem with modern games is mainly that everybody seems to disrespect the developers, including gamers, publishers, reviewers and the developers themselves. There's no glory in making games any more, unless you're an indie dev living off less then a minimum wage in donations and even then it's hit or miss.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:11:50 am by Virex »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 30, 2010, 09:13:04 am »

I generally don't know people besides myself and people on the internet that pirate games. A few of my close friends used to buy pirated games back in a third-world country I used to live in, but that was about it. Besides, there everybody bought pirated software, including the teacher, the students, and my dad.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 30, 2010, 09:55:37 am »

Hey, when you have street venders selling pirated shit, there are 3 normally persistent things...

Shitty Quality
Noone cares enough to cuff em for it
People will still buy it
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 30, 2010, 11:24:56 am »

Besides that, my problem with modern games is mainly that everybody seems to disrespect the developers, including gamers, publishers, reviewers and the developers themselves. There's no glory in making games any more, unless you're an indie dev living off less then a minimum wage in donations and even then it's hit or miss.

Actually what goes on is that people disrespect the publishers.  I and several of my friends, will never ever buy an EA game again.  Never.  In fact none of us are going to pirate them either because the games aren't worth the time it takes to acquire.  Its not about the devs (Will Wright is amazing) but the publisher ruins the ideas.  "Oh that's too experimental, we don't want to risk a billion dollars trying that, take it out.  Yes, yes, it does look like fun, but we don't know what the consumer thinks about it.  Here, why don't you re-read out Manual Of Formulaic Success."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 30, 2010, 11:37:36 am »

I generally don't know people besides myself and people on the internet that pirate games. A few of my close friends used to buy pirated games back in a third-world country I used to live in, but that was about it. Besides, there everybody bought pirated software, including the teacher, the students, and my dad.

In the Middle-East, they have entire stores like this. I got my copy of Technomage, which was only released in Europe as far as I'm aware, from a store in Damascus in August 2001. It was a great find, even if I did still need to use gamecopyworld to play it (also, it wasn't that great a find because I needed to pirate it again anyways when I went to play it 6 years later).

I think there's a gross exaggeration when it comes to EA Games. The games they make aren't actually of a substantially inferior quality that I wouldn't pirate them.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 30, 2010, 11:47:13 am »

I think there's a gross exaggeration when it comes to EA Games. The games they make aren't actually of a substantially inferior quality that I wouldn't pirate them.

Most recent title produced by EA that you've played is?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »

Dragon age, mass effect 2, skate 3, battlefield bad company 2, etc.

EA is a terrible company, but that doesn't mean that their dev studios don't make good games. Though EA will usually try to besmirch them with DLC and pay-to-play multiplayer and whatever else they can think of.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 30, 2010, 12:08:16 pm »

Most recent title produced by EA that you've played is?

Most recent title I've played is Spore, and it's an enormous disappointment. Putting aside the stupid download manager that you MOOST EENSTALL to play the game (though at least it doesn't lock you out of your games when you loose your connection), it's a good bit less than what was advertised. While it is a fun game, it's extremely far from the paragon of sandboxy fun it was supposed to be- it takes an hour to get from cell to space, and while you choose the shapes and color of your buildings, vehicles, creatures, and spaceships, that's about it. Just paint. And then you go into space where its near-constant SAEV KIRK'S ROCK FROM ECOD1SAZT0R/P1RAT3S. Fun, yes. Certianly worth ten-twenty dollars. Thirty's a stretch. But fifty dollars? That's just silly. The only games that I paid fifty dollars for and didn't regret it are Paper Mario: TTYD, Pikmin 2, Pokemon XD, and... pretty much every gamecube pre-Wii Nintendo game I own(ed), besides that stupid TV show game that I'm not sure I even bought myself...

And then they release the Galactic Adventures pack for another friggin fifty! It's the exact same deal as the main game- a fun, slightly gimmicky weak-sandbox game, worth twenty to thirty dollars. It's an expansion pack, it should cost less than the game itself!

EDIT:

Oh, and my opinion on the thing with EA having good devs; it's a thing that happens often in corporate settings, the company hires an expert, and then management decides they know better than him. Isn't the fact that he would do a better job than the people who are in control the entire point of hiring him?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:11:11 pm by Schilcote »
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 30, 2010, 12:17:12 pm »

I wasn't let down by Dragon Age or Battlefield. I haven't played Skate 3 or Mass Effect 2. I don't really want to get into a debate about DLC, but I don't think the existence of it hampers my play experience. I went through all of Dragon Age without so much as installing the Stone Warden (which is free), and I didn't feel like I had missed anything.

They were also the retail distributors of the Orange Box. In case you didn't know.

I won't even mention the games that have been very popular among their fanbase, but universally hated by 'hardcore gamers', because that always seems to be a mistake.

It's not like they're different than any other publisher. Ubisoft ixnayed things like blending into crowds from Splinter Cell Conviction, for instance.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »

Dragon age, mass effect 2, skate 3, battlefield bad company 2, etc.

I personally haven't played any of those.  I have no interest in...all of them (regardless of production studio).  Though I have heard good things about Mass Effect.

EA is a terrible company, but that doesn't mean that their dev studios don't make good games. Though EA will usually try to besmirch them with DLC and pay-to-play multiplayer and whatever else they can think of.

I think that's basically what I just said: the devs are awesome, upper management isn't.

They were also the retail distributors of the Orange Box. In case you didn't know.

Distributing something is vastly different than having in-house devs.  They have no control over the content in the former.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 30, 2010, 12:29:11 pm »

Dragon Age and Mass Effect were watered down RPGs with focus on people chattering non-stop about crap you don't give a fuck about. They focus on story instead of gameplay, so if you like feeling like you're reading a book while 'playing' something, they're good.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 66