Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1593741 times)

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Your pets are adorabledible!
« Reply #6330 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:51 am »

16, 5'10" and 110 lbs. I'm skinny as fuck.

and for lack of a picture of me, have a happy-sad baby i found on the internet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6331 on: February 01, 2013, 03:27:04 am »

6'1 and something here, which is pretty average for my country.

How the fuck do all of you people grow so tall? I mean, did I miss a supplement or something?
Don't know. Lots of milk? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070924192746AAzHoQr

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:47 am »

Getting close to 30.  I'm 5'11" and somewhere around 180 lbs.  Haven't been weighed in years, but I don't think I've gained since then.  Overall, I've only gained about 20 lbs since high school.  Much better than most people I know.

Depends on where you are. Here in Washington, average height is about standard for America as a whole: 5'10". So I'm a little bit short of that, but not abnormally so. There are plenty of people shorter than me, and plenty taller. Most are about that height, though. On the other hand, average in the Scandinavian countries is 5'11" to 6". In Papua New Guinea it's 5'4"-ish, IIRC.

Temperature has a lot to do with it.  I forget the formal name for the phenomenon, but the less surface area your body has relative to its mass, the easier it is to keep warm.  So being bigger than average is a common adaptation to cold climates.  I'm a good mix of northern european ancestries, and I'm 3-4 inches shorter than most of my relatives.  If I had better sleeping habits and continued training hard after high school, I'd probably look something like Thor right now.  I think sleep deprivation stunted my growth a lot in my teen years, and then I wasn't allowed to do athletics for 6 months after my first MRSA infection and I never got back into it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:19 am »

Temperature has a lot to do with it.  I forget the formal name for the phenomenon, but the less surface area your body has relative to its mass, the easier it is to keep warm. So being bigger than average is a common adaptation to cold climates. 
That only works when you get rounder, not taller. Most of the length is in the femur, and at roughly the same weight but more length the surface area is actually increased. UNless I'm wrong and you have a good source :P

No, it's actually because of the snowfall, everyone shorter than 5'11 couldn't breathe in winter so they were bred out.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6334 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:57 am »

Temperature has a lot to do with it.  I forget the formal name for the phenomenon, but the less surface area your body has relative to its mass, the easier it is to keep warm. So being bigger than average is a common adaptation to cold climates. 
That only works when you get rounder, not taller. Most of the length is in the femur, and at roughly the same weight but more length the surface area is actually increased. UNless I'm wrong and you have a good source :P

No, it's actually because of the snowfall, everyone shorter than 5'11 couldn't breathe in winter so they were bred out.

Source is a college biological anthropology class, though the principle was presented as relevant to the evolution of the animal kingdom as a whole, not just humans.

It's not just about roundness, anyway.  Don't have to be rounder to have more meat on you, and girth tends to be proportional.  To be both tall and twig-thin is unusual, and even in the case of longer, thinner legs most mass is still internal enough to help with heat storage.

We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: February 01, 2013, 10:00:54 am »

Source is a college biological anthropology class, though the principle was presented as relevant to the evolution of the animal kingdom as a whole, not just humans.
So.. colder climates mean larger animals? I think that one can be refuted pretty easily. Nope, I still call BS. It's actually because Vikings preferred their women tall and strong, and did not care for their ego and small lovely wifeys as much as the southerners did. But really it's because the sun is often low in the sky, and being taller you're able to get more sunlight, which helps in your vitamin D production. But in reality it's just because of the food. Secretly growth hormones have been invented over 1000 yrs ago by the Scandinavians. In actuality it's because northern people were actually crossbred with mammoths way back.

Biological Anthropology has a very negative connotation around here. :)

Okay, bit of googling: You're referring to Bergmanns rule. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann%27s_rule.
However combining that with Allen's rule states the exact opposite of what you claim (and agrees more with what I said): Larger bodies, but shorter limbs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen%27s_rule

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: February 01, 2013, 09:38:26 pm »

epigenetics and protein rich diets?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6337 on: February 02, 2013, 01:39:04 am »

You all seem to have forgotten that I hail from a currently snowy wasteland of slush and ice.

I am a pretty serious statistical outlier.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: February 02, 2013, 02:10:02 am »

You all seem to have forgotten that I hail from a currently snowy wasteland of slush and ice.

I am a pretty serious statistical outlier.

But did your ancestors?
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:32 am »

Sort of. My father's side is comprised primarily of northern Great Plains dwelling buffalo-hunters, and scavengers from the southern Appalachian mountains. My mother's side is almost all blue-face-painted warmongers and cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: February 02, 2013, 02:25:10 am »

Sort of. My father's side is comprised primarily of northern Great Plains dwelling buffalo-hunters, and scavengers from the southern Appalachian mountains. My mother's side is almost all blue-face-painted warmongers and cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Next question:  I think the truth is you're really tall for a dwarf.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: February 02, 2013, 02:27:21 am »

Next question:  I think the truth is you're really tall for a dwarf.
That sounds about right.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: February 02, 2013, 02:50:27 am »

So this is what I have learned about evolution today...

+ + =
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:10 am »

COLD CLIMATES = BIG
NO IT MEANS SHORT LIMBS

Basically, bodies in cold climates want to minimize their heat exchange with their hypothermic environment. Less heat lost means less energy spent keeping your body warm enough to function. so bodies in cold climates select for short and stocky builds with maximum interior area, but minimal surface area.

Or rather: BOTH ARE RIGHT.

Garsh, I never thought Bay12, a forum full of people who play games about dwarves, would be so full of giants. Frankly I'm intimidated now.

Escapism.

Japa, you are amazing at one-word jokes. Are you aware of that?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: February 02, 2013, 03:19:37 am »

Garsh, I never thought Bay12, a forum full of people who play games about dwarves, would be so full of giants. Frankly I'm intimidated now.

Escapism.

Japa, you are amazing at one-word jokes. Are you aware of that?

Yes.
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 987