Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SPEED] tag for wagons  (Read 1178 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SPEED] tag for wagons
« on: February 07, 2010, 04:06:07 am »

I have a save that is persistently affected by the rocket wagon/slowboat wagon bug. One wagon can cross half of a 16x16 map and reach my depot in less than a second, and the other wagon never reaches the depot before the merchants leave, making trading impossible. Save scumming doesn't fix it; I get a rocket wagon and a slowboat wagon every time I reload the save. However, in the save in question, the wagons have not yet spawned on the map. Is this something that I could work around by modifying the [SPEED] tag for wagons? Or does modifying a speed tag not work for existing saves? Or does a [SPEED] tag change require a new worldgen? Or is the [SPEED] tag something that doesn't work for wagons at all?

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: [SPEED] tag for wagons
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:29:39 am »

IIRC, the [SPEED] tag can be changed with no troubles. I frequently swap from SPEED:0 superdwarves and then remove the tag when I want them back to normal.

This SHOULD work, in theory, but wagons are weird. Just try it out for us. Remember, the lower the number, the faster they go.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 05:22:46 am »

Just tried it and it didn't work. So it looks like the [SPEED] tag has no effect on wagons  :(. But your superdwarves comment gives me another idea for a workaround. I could try speeding up the dwarves, deconstructing my original trade depot, and building a new one near the edge of the map, and savescumming until the caravan spawns close enough to the new depot (spawn location for the caravan is something that does change with savescumming).

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:24 am »

OK, this is getting weird. I tried changing dwarves to speed 0, and in addition to the expected effects, this caused both wagons to move at normal speed.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:52:26 pm »

my bet is that whatever is pulling the wagon is on roids lol

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:44 pm »

I bet you it's something like, "The wagon has no speed, but rather the draft animals have speed and they "equip" the wagon, resulting in a special sprite where they are attached to it."

The only problem is that multiple animals can be used as draft animals. Try changing speed on them and see if that pans out. It's worth a shot.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »

I bet you it's something like, "The wagon has no speed, but rather the draft animals have speed and they "equip" the wagon, resulting in a special sprite where they are attached to it."

The only problem is that multiple animals can be used as draft animals. Try changing speed on them and see if that pans out. It's worth a shot.

The problem with this theory is that wagons are, in fact, creatures. You can find them in the raw/objects folder, at creature_equipment, I think. Given the strange way that wagons interact with the pathfinder, it wouldn't surprise me if the speed tag didn't affect them at all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:29:49 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 03:48:34 pm »

The problem with this theory is that wagons are, in fact, creatures. You can find them in the raw/objects folder, at creature_equipment, I think. Given the strange way that wagons interact with the pathfinder, it wouldn't surprise me if the speed tag didn't affect them at all.

Could be. I'm not sure anyone knows the answer for sure. wagons seem to be the only multi tile creature currently. Who knows how they calculate speed. I do know that increasing their trade capacity to 100000000 slows them down to imperceptible slowness though.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 06:51:29 am »

Yes, because they bring more goods this way. The speed of a wagon is calculated as a formula based on a total weight of all trade goods inside the wagon, and you can't change it. The way to "fix" it is to make wagons to have a smaller capacity. First caravans should be quite "empty" this way, but with the increase in gifts and trading they will just bring more wagons.

Anyway I haven't seen this bug until the last month so I'd just follow TheBeardyMan's advice and apply SPEED:900 to everything.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:56:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository