Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Indirect control games  (Read 19481 times)

Mathmagician

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Indirect control games
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:06:21 pm »

From classics like the Dungeon Keeper games to our beloved Dwarf Fortress, I love indirect control games.

I'm always on the lookout for more and I would love suggestions from you guys.  Any game where a core mechanic involves indirect control.

Thanks!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Indirect control games
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

Majesty counts, right?  Majesty is awesome.

Also Evil Genius I guess.  You couldn't directly control the grunt-level guys, right?

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »

Lemmings !  ;D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:58:01 pm »

Politics?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:44 pm »

I love these games too. Sadly I don't know many.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »

Populous had indirect control. I think you could control where Knights went by planting a cross in the ground, and by flattening land you could get people to build there, and by unflattening it you lowered the building capacity and forced someone to leave and settle elsewhere. And of course the miracles or whatever they called them.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 02:23:22 pm »

I love these games as well, B&W was a game that managed to satisfy my thirst for these kind of games for a while.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 02:24:01 pm »

Umm maybe Darwinia? I think that counts. All of the other ones I was going to say have been suggested already.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mathmagician

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 04:25:15 pm »

All are fabulous suggestions which I have played.  There are so few in the mainstream.  My Life as a King comes to mind.  I keep hoping some indie dev will take a liking to them, but it seems like I may just have to take up the mantle myself one day.

Keep up the suggestions, though.  We might find a new gem.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 04:31:24 pm »

Does Sim city count? I could never get commercial zones developed no matter how much I watched the demand.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Bokkie3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 06:20:51 pm »

Startopia gives you almost no control over your aliens guys.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 06:28:14 pm »

Savage and Savage 2.

The twist is that you lack control because all of your units are human players, if you can convince the team to elect you as commander you play it as an rts placing spawn points fixed defences and researching new units and weapons whilst they play it as an fps.

You can order them to go somewhere or do something but they are free to completely ignore you. This makes commanding a bit hit and miss, a bad team can ignore you completely despite you knowing important things they don't and it can be really annoying when despite giving you team every possible advantage they repeatedly die to the enemy. On the other hand it is fun when you see a "superior" enemy force die because your team is actually better.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:36:03 pm »

I tried Savage 2 but the controls really got to me. It seems to clunky but that's just me. I quit before I got the experience to try Commanding but I imagine it is satisfying.

But have you heard of Allegiance? Its like Savage, but in space. Literally! It is pretty much the same as Savage except it is dogfighting instead of melee battling.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »

Gratuitous Space Battles.

I suggest TOTALLY ILLEGALLY LEGALLY TORRENTING PURCHASING IT BECAUSE IT IS A SMALL LINEAR TOTALLY AMAZING GAME

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »

Also Evil Genius I guess.  You couldn't directly control the grunt-level guys, right?

I second this. It's far from perfect - traps are totally impractical and largely useless - but it's a humorous, amusing little game. You control your Evil Genius directly, although you can't fight or do anything practical, and you can give direct orders to your limited number of Henchmen. The standard hordes of minions, however, are exclusively under indirect control, just like dear DF.

Just make sure you hunt down the unofficial patch. The developers went under after releasing one major patch, but there are lots of add-ons and the like that even out some of the imbalances and fix some of the bugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4