Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1077217 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #8775 on: February 17, 2011, 01:59:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unless I'm mistaken, higher numbers are slower, so the values I've put in should be just what I wanted. Still, that miner doesn't seem to have gotten her stats increased by much, or even at all, even though she went from level 5 to 20 in less than a year.

Big Bee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: February 17, 2011, 02:21:24 am »

Are Yaks unbutcherable?  I have a "stray yak bull corpse" directly adjacent to the butchery, but I keep getting the "needs butcherable nearly unrotten item."  It is nearby, it is unrotten, it is, so far as I can tell, butcherable.  Any suggestions?

If it makes any difference, both the buchery and the refuse stockpile are outdoors.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: February 17, 2011, 02:28:47 am »

I'd have to test this, but I think tame (stray or otherwise) animals can only be butchered, as in, killed by a butcher and processed. Something that dies of old age, gets killed by some hostile entity or (in the new version) starves to death seems to be off limits. At least that's how I remember it.

EDIT:
Just noticed that your refuse stockpile was outside. Look under standing [o‌]rders whether your dwarves have outside refuse hauling enabled.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:43:53 am by assimilateur »

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: February 17, 2011, 02:31:40 am »

Are Yaks unbutcherable?  I have a "stray yak bull corpse" directly adjacent to the butchery, but I keep getting the "needs butcherable nearly unrotten item."  It is nearby, it is unrotten, it is, so far as I can tell, butcherable.  Any suggestions?

If it makes any difference, both the buchery and the refuse stockpile are outdoors.
Is it in refuse stockpile? Only stockpiled corpses are butchered, and dwarfs do it by themselves just like fat rendering and processing hides. So all you need is to put a stockpile near that shop.

My question is about crafting armor. How much material does it take and how does it look like (I mean if thi is a single item or set of)? I was producing those breatplates, geaves and leggings and wondering why did no one equip those until i bumped into "create armor" option. Now it seems that equiping military with steel is not that hard.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8779 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:27 am »

As of .18 (I haven't played .19 yet), armor, as well as other forged items, only require one metal bar. This is supposed to be a bug, since the material size values for certain items suggest that they should require more (I think it was 2 for mail shirt, 3 for breastplates, 3 for most furniture items, etc.), and when melting furniture (with the notable exception of chests, which won't melt) you get one bar back. Recycling should hardly give you 100% of your resources back.

Most armor pieces you order forged come as one item with the exception of hand- and footwear. A fully-equipped soldier will thus be wearing not one "metal armor" but, for example, one breastplate, one mail shirt, one [pair of] greaves, two gauntlets, two boots, etc. You can also tell them to wear various non-metal items as part of their uniform. Notable are cloaks which provide their faces with some light protection they would otherwise lack completely. Personally, I've modded mail shirts to also cover faces; I would have done so for helmets, but I wasn't sure it would work, plus I picture my modded mails as really cool-looking.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:41 am »

What? I've been playing 31.12 and still need 3 bars for a door etc.. mostly i haven't upgraded because ghosts scare the bejusus out of me
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: February 17, 2011, 03:20:39 am »

OK then, and what does "make leather armor" at leatherworks do? Breastplates and greaves are listed individually, afair.
Also my dwarfes' clothing began to wear out, so I told my manager to produce some clothing. Is it enough to just make a pile an then check through stocks menu whether I need to produce some more clothing?

Seems that I produced armor the right way, but had to make a squad after armor is ready, so that they all grab their equips.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: February 17, 2011, 03:31:15 am »

I don't think I've even played any .31 before .18, other than perhaps some brief testing when it came out in April. All I can say is that whenever I forge shit, it only uses one bar - despite sometimes giving me cancellations when I have fewer than 3 bars available - though I guess I haven't tested that thoroughly either. For all I know, some furniture might still require 3 bars.

OK then, and what does "make leather armor" at leatherworks do? Breastplates and greaves are listed individually, afair.
Also my dwarfs' clothing began to wear out, so I told my manager to produce some clothing. Is it enough to just make a pile an then check through stocks menu whether I need to produce some more clothing?

Seems that I produced armor the right way, but had to make a squad after armor is ready, so that they all grab their equips.

Leather armor is a single item that covers the torso and is hence analogous to mail shirts or breastplates. It can also be worn coupled with mail shirts but not breastplates, unless you mod out the [shaped] tag (there's a limit of one [shaped] item per body part).

I haven't had any luck getting civilians to equip clothes on their own. A couple forts back I made clothing for them and they claimed some of it, but nobody - or close to nobody - wore any of it, instead storing it in their cabinets. One partial and problematic workaround is drafting everybody, assigning them uniforms to be worn even when off-duty, and setting their alert level to inactive. The problem with this is that miners, woodcutters and hunters have hidden uniforms that override anything you assign them to wear. This means that anyone with one of the aforementioned jobs enabled will remove their uniform as soon as they go off duty, pick up their respective tool (pick, axe or crossbow) and go back to running around naked or in tattered clothes.

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: February 17, 2011, 03:52:28 am »

Thanks, so clothes are bugged and not that nesessary.
Is there a complete list of changes in 31.19? I wonder if there was some bug fix and whether it affects .18 saves. Or are there only new features?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #8784 on: February 17, 2011, 04:01:39 am »

"I'm starting the first one to two week bug fix cycle now, so there weren't a lot of bug fixes for this release, but creatures, items and vegetation don't pick up as many contaminants now. "

My 0.18 save works alright.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:21 am »

I haven't had any luck getting civilians to equip clothes on their own. A couple forts back I made clothing for them and they claimed some of it, but nobody - or close to nobody - wore any of it, instead storing it in their cabinets...
This issue has been mentioned on a "Talk" page on the Wiki: DF2010 Talk:Clothing

However, it seems there's no mention of this yet on the bug tracker...?
Perhaps someone should fill out a bug report for this?

Edit: It seems there is a bug report for this after all:
0002481: Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it

No version number is mentioned, but it was originally posted on 2010-06-26 and last updated on 2010-10-24. (Perhaps the lack of a version number means that it got overlooked/forgotten? Though, this is obviously a minor issue.)

Revealingly, Cryten wrote:
Quote from: Cryten
I think the old issue was they used to leave thier old clothes all across the fortress. This was untill Toady locked off the dwarves changing clothes to prevent the clutter.

So, many versions ago Toady intentionally turned off the ability of dwarves to change clothes as a temporary workaround to the problem of dwarves leaving their old clothes all over a fortress as clutter. But I do wonder if leaving old clothes laying around would still be an issue of this was re-enabled. From what I understand, if the clothes of dead dwarves are not inherited by family (no relatives), they get automatically hauled to stockpiles. Why wouldn't this work for discarded clothes of living dwarves if the ownership gets correctly removed?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:44:01 am by Thundercraft »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: February 17, 2011, 06:13:03 am »

How can I stop auto converting thread into cloth in looms (I want thread for suturing, not useless cloth)?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: February 17, 2011, 06:56:31 am »

How can I stop auto converting thread into cloth in looms (I want thread for suturing, not useless cloth)?

Your dwarves will store a certain amount of thread in the hospital (provided that you put some coffers within the designated zone). I'm not sure if the thread is actually kept IN the hospital, but nonetheless, that thread and cloth is "reserved" for suturing and your dwarves will not use it to make cloth.

Suspened the cloth-making task until your hospital is stocked, maybe.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: February 17, 2011, 07:34:15 am »

Your dwarves will store a certain amount of thread in the hospital (provided that you put some coffers within the designated zone). I'm not sure if the thread is actually kept IN the hospital, but nonetheless, that thread and cloth is "reserved" for suturing and your dwarves will not use it to make cloth.

Suspened the cloth-making task until your hospital is stocked, maybe.

The option to turn off autoconverting thread is in the (O)rders menu under (w)orkshop orders. You can set it to "dyed only" or "no auto"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

FallenCleric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: February 17, 2011, 07:44:09 am »

Do dwarfs need a thread to sew cloth/leather image?
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 1178