Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218716 times)

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.32! Brighter color scheme!)
« Reply #750 on: June 18, 2010, 10:05:42 am »

A blessing! A blessing from the Lord!

...but I liked old, darker colors.txt more, so I changed it for earlier version. Now I must only find a way to change the brightness of water tiles in ironhand.png, because the snow is now dark gray and there is little difference in brightness between both water tiles. I also liked old loose stone more, it was more "realistic", I only made it always more transparent to make it less visible, so I will change it also for earlier version and the loose ore for "*".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now please continue great knight your quest for the graphic grail!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:25:56 am by Prastary »

taoofjord

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:46 am »

I apologize, as this is surely common knowledge on this forum, but I'm not much of a programmer (the most I've done is fiddled with config files to change resolution or turn on vsync in my time with pc gaming) and I would really appreciate instructions on how to get Ironhand running on my Mac.

I read a post that said I just needed to replace the .exe with the Mac version's executable but that didn't work. As I understand it, the Ironhand creator is intending on releasing a Mac version of DF with Ironhand already on it but until that happens can someone tell me how to get this running the hacker way?

Thanks!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 18, 2010, 11:25:08 am »

Coming along nicely.  Keep it up!
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:19 pm »

One question - what meaning has the transparency in water tiles? Am I loosing something when I use non-transparent tiles here? (I converted your new water tiles to change their brightness, but they lost transparency)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:13 pm »

Uh... yeah, transparency shouldn't actually do anything with those.
You can just slap them on black and they'll work exactly the same way.

@taoofjord: Here's what you're gonna do:
Download a Mac version of DF 0.31.06 from Bay12games.com/dwarves. Download Ironhand Graphics version 0.32 from the DFFD.
Copy the whole raw folder and the whole data/init folder from Ironhand and replace the corresponding files in the Mac version.
Then copy the file ironhand.png from data/art into data/art of the Mac version.

That should do it!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 18, 2010, 01:41:13 pm »

Hey. I tried to put a save file from a raw 0.31.06 game into an Ironhand game, and it didn't work. It said "Missing material template: STONE_TEMPLATE". How do I fix this?

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:57 pm »

Uh... Is this how alunite is supposed to look?
Also that chicken leg is a lungfish

Nevermind, I forgot I was using a previously genned world and needed to update its raws  :P

I think a personal preference problem I have, is that I don't like the "noisyness" of all the tiles. I understand its a stylistic choice though.

Hey. I tried to put a save file from a raw 0.31.06 game into an Ironhand game, and it didn't work. It said "Missing material template: STONE_TEMPLATE". How do I fix this?
Since I just did it, Cheddarius, here is how to update your raws:
Assuming there is no mods you want to keep from your old game:
Go into your Ironhand folder (assuming you have a clean version of it, just download a new copy if you dont) and copy its "raw" folder. Go into your save file, and delete the "raw" folder, and then paste the Ironhand raw back into your save file.

Otherwise you can try to manualy find the missing file and copy that single one over (not sure which one. "material_template_default.txt" maybe?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:12:14 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 18, 2010, 03:18:53 pm »

The FPS counter is the same blindingly bright blue as microcline in .32. It is quite hard to read the white text.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 18, 2010, 03:38:39 pm »

EEeyeah, sorry. That's just me trying to brighten up brooks, I guess.
I'll scale it back a bit in the next version. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 18, 2010, 03:54:21 pm »

It worked! Thanks a ton, Lucas!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.32!!!)
« Reply #760 on: June 18, 2010, 05:00:40 pm »

Ironhand, I'm not actually using your tileset because I don't have the resolution for it, but I'm your fan and like looking at it so I hope you won't mind a bit of criticism  ;)

Walls are still too hard to tell apart from floors. The grey stones on other screenshots look acceptable but the yellow stone here is very confusing. I don't think I'm sight impaired but I really have trouble seeing the floor there:

In comparison, look at generic tilesets handle yellow stones:

If I'm not mistaken, the thing you've done is you made the colors brighter and perhaps increased the saturation of walls. But you need to increase contrast instead or, in other words, use more white on the walls. If you look at the vanilla game, it has black backgrounds for all floors, white backgrounds for all walls which make is easy to distinguish. By using black background for both, you are lowering the contrast and the distinguishing job has to be done by the tiles thelselves. And with your tendency to blend tiles, it's hard. It works for some (the grey ones above) but doesn't work for others.

I'd suggest using more transparency (perhaps even 100% in some placer) on the wall tiles to allow more of the white background to show. What if you deleted the white pixels you already have on the tiles? By painting white on the tileset, you make them colourable, by leaving them transparent, you'd leave them white.

But that's just my two cents, perhaps it goes against what you and the people who actually use this like. Feel free to ignore me and keep up the good work  ;)

Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 18, 2010, 05:21:03 pm »

Ironhand, here's a worldgen pic if you still need pictures:
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 18, 2010, 05:59:48 pm »

Oooh, pretty. Thanks. Really makes me want to play with those map trees, though...

@Jiri: Alright, cool. I will definitely try to address that before the next release.
Also, you don't actually need 1440 pixels to use my tileset, now that it's SDL.
If you fullscreen the game, it'll shrink the tiles just a tiny bit so that they fit.

So jump on the bandwagon if you want. = P

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 18, 2010, 06:06:10 pm »

Hey Ironhand, I just downloaded your tileset and noticed that llamas were added to the domestic creatures file and it looks like some additional food names were added as well; not sure if this was intentional or more likely just leftover from some mod/modding but I wasn't expecting it when downloading a tileset.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 18, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

@Jiri: Yeah, I agree with you. Walls definitely could have more contrast. It's not just you.
@Cheddarius: no problem, glad it worked.  :)
@Aeg1s: Didn't know about the food, but yeah, llamas are Ironhands thing. Personal touch?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 329