Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218683 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (still waiting for 0.50...)
« Reply #2205 on: August 12, 2010, 10:33:03 am »

I'm not depending on a particular shader model, I'm depending on particular extensions, because they speed things up.

At the moment, those are EXT_texture_buffer_object and EXT_texture_array.

You can use GLView to check whether your computer supports those or not.

Later, however, I will attempt to make things also work without them. Just not before I've got something that works at all. It may not even be possible to make shader-mode work fast without texture-buffer-object (couldn't make it do so before), but given that it's now got more features than just raw speed, I will certainly try to make it work.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: August 12, 2010, 10:35:05 am »

Maybe in perfect world it is ok to burn 400 watts of energy for 10+ hours gaming, i cannot do that.
Your GPU has a power-savings mode, probably several. Running DF's shader-mode on it is not going to make it power up very far, unless you're using a really badly written custom shader. On my laptop, it skips from the lowest power-saving mode to the second lowest, and that's just because, being a laptop GPU, the lowest-power mode has the shaders entirely offline.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: August 12, 2010, 10:35:36 am »

The words that "ironhand, mayday and the like" save the situation are a bit too loud. DF has very accessible graphical resources so anyone can do it. Also more than 50% of people play the game in pure ASCII, there were a few polls about that. So graphical tilesets work for less than 50% of players, I've encountered it when I tried to make graphics-only mods.

That's said not to say anything bad about our great tileset makers, I just mean that you overestimate the meaning of graphics in such deep game as DF. I could play it if it had 16 ASCII tiles but more depth :). I would really like most of the important stuff to be done first, the graphics are not important for an alpha.

Games like ADOM work well in pure ASCII and have huge playerbase :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: August 12, 2010, 10:42:31 am »

yeah, 8000 series or above is needed for that.

good thing I don't actually use tilesets anyways, since it's so much more fun to develop stonesense.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: August 12, 2010, 10:48:36 am »

Woah, I'm like 20 minutes away and hell breaks loose.

Dude i do not like you;
i saw your moronic comment about buying monitor i other topic and i exactly know your kind;
do not tell me about buying anything, i am in computers for 24 years.
Read again, I did not tell you to buy anything. I just commented on your claim that running shaders would need a 800$ gfx card.
And I do not think that you know anything "about my kind". Rest assured, I'm not that kind of guy that buys only the newest alienware pc.

My main problem is, that with 0.12 i AM ABLE to use DF for fort >5 yrs old on my 2 yr old laptop without GFX CARD
And you WILL BE able to in the future.

i hear i may buy gfx card for <100 whatever from you, and you seem to miss i am talking about LAPTOP.
I said that you are unable to upgrade the gfx card on most laptops.

I just got feeling, that we may need ubermachine just for displaying something i saw 20 yrs ago(2d tiles).
DF already pushes the CPU to its limit, where are we supposed to get the number-crunching done, if not on the GPU? And you can't utilize the GPU without shaders.

The main problem is that we have a combinatoric issue at hand if we want the "surrounding-aware" tiles. The games of the SNES era did not have the problems we're having now, they had hand-made maps.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: August 12, 2010, 10:53:55 am »

[just remove it, good luck, nvmd, sorry, and all]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:56:13 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:10 am »

allright, you know, i see slate stonesense 5 TIMES SLOWER than earlier one(while real advantages/differences for end-user are none);
if DF tends to be like that, i just wanted to be cleared about it, nothing more :( .

Sorry bout that.

I'm pretty much to blame for this

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:38 am »

What do you mean by 16x2? You can use PNG with as many colors as you ever need.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: August 12, 2010, 11:01:00 am »

allright, you know, i see slate stonesense 5 TIMES SLOWER than earlier one(while real advantages/differences for end-user are none);
if DF tends to be like that, i just wanted to be cleared about it, nothing more :( .

Sorry bout that.

I'm pretty much to blame for this

erm, uh, thanks for progress, but idd, actual stonesense stopped working like just 2d iso representation, it is lagging so much now, as it was  ogl egoboo or sth;/
...i wish You luck in that awesome project, even if i do not use it now(400 watts draining desktop and power-saver laptop for choose, etc.).

Deon, Deon... where can i get info about whole palette ways then;
you know i have 14 colors of ARROWS to make with unique colors and ONE tile?
----------

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: August 12, 2010, 11:01:49 am »

Aren't the fore-and background colors tinting/overwriting everything?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 12, 2010, 11:04:47 am »

Aren't the fore-and background colors tinting/overwriting everything?

that's wrong question for conscious ones...man. it IS that's the additional prob, lol!~.

ok, now lemme stfme, i really do not want to bew banned just for way i am trying to get information in crowd of very happy people(i can see clearly incoming woes, just that).

Ironhand, sorry for unexpected way of adding to your big topic...gl.
----------

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: August 12, 2010, 11:11:08 am »

that's wrong question for conscious ones...man. it IS that's the additional prob, lol!~.

ok, now lemme stfme, i really do not want to bew banned just for way i am trying to get information in crowd of very happy people(i can see clearly incoming woes, just that).

Your concerns are valid.
Just rest assured, that you will be able to play DF like you can do now. Just some eye-candy is not available.
And until we have full graphics support (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php) we have to work around it (e.g. with shaders).

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:45 am »

Your concerns are valid.
Just rest assured, that you will be able to play DF like you can do now. Just some eye-candy is not available.
And until we have full graphics support (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php) we have to work around it (e.g. with shaders).

McBeer cancels cancelling open beer - opening beer then.

Just rest assured, that you will be able to play DF like you can do now
That's what i wanted to hear, really...

Sorry for being rude, and useless. i would add to the community, but i just have nothing for you, guys...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:15:50 am by McBeer »
----------

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: August 12, 2010, 11:17:21 am »

Sorry for being rude, and useless. i would add to the community, but i just have nothing for you, guys...

You made a nice gardening mod!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 12, 2010, 11:24:51 am »

I'm not depending on a particular shader model, I'm depending on particular extensions, because they speed things up.

At the moment, those are EXT_texture_buffer_object and EXT_texture_array.

You can use GLView to check whether your computer supports those or not.

Later, however, I will attempt to make things also work without them. Just not before I've got something that works at all. It may not even be possible to make shader-mode work fast without texture-buffer-object (couldn't make it do so before), but given that it's now got more features than just raw speed, I will certainly try to make it work.
Wait, isn't what you're doing basically a graphics engine addon anyway? If so, DF won't receive a performance hit even if you make everything run in software. Well, most of the times. As long as the machine running it is dualcore, which even the lowliest laptops in shops around here are, netbooks excluded. What do you think? Would it be possible to swap out parts of your engine that are not supported, and replace them with software emulation on the fly?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 329