Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1217403 times)

Slye_Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (New walls! Come get 'em)
« Reply #3795 on: March 30, 2011, 10:20:48 pm »

I sorely miss the swirly waters, I would love if they came back.  If it is an issue with people, it could even be an alternate choice, kinda like diagonal walls are now.

Just add them in yourself, it's easy to do.
Just use a program that can edit png's with alpha layer (eg; photoshop with the SuperPNG plug-in) and just replace the 1-7 number tiles with the ones you want (go back a few pages).
Also enable the show flow amounts in one of the int files.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: March 30, 2011, 11:09:53 pm »

Does anyone think it will ever be possible to have multiple graphics for the same tile type, say a wall, that would correspond to each possible set of surrounding tiles?  For instance, you have a wall that is diagonal with that visible jagged edge on the outer side in the unexplored area underground.  It would be nice, then, if the program selected the graphic that had black filling in that side toward the unexplored part.

It would be useful for all sorts of things, like curving the ground rim of a river or softening the change in grass colors.  It would basically allow people like Ironhand and Phoebus to eliminate all the square edges.

I could do a mock-up if anyone is confused about what I mean.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: March 30, 2011, 11:29:29 pm »

Does anyone think it will ever be possible to have multiple graphics for the same tile type, say a wall, that would correspond to each possible set of surrounding tiles?  For instance, you have a wall that is diagonal with that visible jagged edge on the outer side in the unexplored area underground.  It would be nice, then, if the program selected the graphic that had black filling in that side toward the unexplored part.

It would be useful for all sorts of things, like curving the ground rim of a river or softening the change in grass colors.  It would basically allow people like Ironhand and Phoebus to eliminate all the square edges.

Baughn was talking about doing just this with "shader mode".  Unfortunately, he's been really busy lately and it's a ton of work to do something like that.

Anyways, progress!  I only have the transition tiles left.  Not really happy with the pillar tile, though.  Any suggestions?

PS:  I hope Ironhand doesn't mind me hijacking his thread for this.  I'm only doing walls, or I'd make a new thread.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: March 30, 2011, 11:54:07 pm »

Anyways, progress!  I only have the transition tiles left.  Not really happy with the pillar tile, though.  Any suggestions?

PS:  I hope Ironhand doesn't mind me hijacking his thread for this.  I'm only doing walls, or I'd make a new thread.

Since your hijacking his thread you might as well take a look at his pillar.  I think he hijacked it from Phobeus so if you actually use it you might want to make sure it is ok with them first :)

It was posted back on page 248 but here it is.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #3799 on: March 31, 2011, 01:38:16 am »

I sorely miss the swirly waters, I would love if they came back.  If it is an issue with people, it could even be an alternate choice, kinda like diagonal walls are now.

Just use a program that can edit png's with alpha layer (eg; photoshop with the SuperPNG plug-in) and just replace the 1-7 number tiles with the ones you want (go back a few pages).

Gotta pimp my TileGenie program here...  It was designed to do exactly this.  Link is in my signature.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: March 31, 2011, 02:21:04 am »

Baughn was talking about doing just this with "shader mode".  Unfortunately, he's been really busy lately and it's a ton of work to do something like that.

I like how the tiles are clearly distinguishable

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: March 31, 2011, 08:35:38 am »

Yeah, instead of fighting the grid system, I really wanted to show it off as a quasi-feature.  It kind of looks like something someone would draw up for a DnD campaign.  This helps with counting wall segments for symmetrical and planned designs too, since you don't have to hover the cursor over the wall to figure out where one tile ends and another begins.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:37:42 am by KillHour »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:39 am »

I really like the floors and the engraving design but the pixel gaps in the walls are a bit of an eyesore. I guess it's just a matter of taste but I don't like it.

Just a suggestion for something you might try to help make the pixel gaps blend better with the walls is adding low alpha borders around the wall tiles. It should look something like this:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:56:48 am by Lemunde »

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:22 am »

Just my guess, but I think that he made them to justify the gaps that you can't avoind in the diagonals.

It's fine to me, I actually never used a tileset with diagonal walls because I hate the zig zag required to have thick diagonals.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: March 31, 2011, 09:13:07 am »

I really like the floors and the engraving design but the pixel gaps in the walls are a bit of an eyesore. I guess it's just a matter of taste but I don't like it.

Just a suggestion for something you might try to help make the pixel gaps blend better with the walls is adding low alpha borders around the wall tiles. It should look something like this:

I'm worried about how this might look with the diagonal engravings, but I'll try it out when I get home.  Thanks.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: March 31, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »

I love the clear and "runed temple walls" and D&D-ish look. Although I dislike those crenelation gaps.
Very nice! And I like the pillar.

Now I wish you could have several floor types in DF, so you can alternate between several styles (yours and Ironhand's) and thus tilesets. :D

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: March 31, 2011, 04:00:33 pm »

@Baughn

Do you still intend to do this Baughn?  It would be like, the best feature ever!
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: March 31, 2011, 04:07:15 pm »

I love the clear and "runed temple walls" and D&D-ish look. Although I dislike those crenelation gaps.
Very nice! And I like the pillar.

Now I wish you could have several floor types in DF, so you can alternate between several styles (yours and Ironhand's) and thus tilesets. :D
Pretty much agree with this guy, I do.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: March 31, 2011, 04:20:18 pm »

Here, have a pot.  The default entry in the raws sets the graphic as the traction bench but it can be changed.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

Gotta pimp my TileGenie program here...  It was designed to do exactly this.  Link is in my signature.

Hey, thanks!  I will give this a try.  I had tried modifying the tilesets myself in the past, but I am by no means a graphics guru, far from it in fact, and ran into various annoying problems and gave up.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 329