Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Disappointed.  (Read 8260 times)

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed.
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 07:02:32 pm »

No matter what Toady does, some people won't like it.

As long as some people like what he's doing enough so he can live from their donations, why shouldn't he develop the game the way he wants to?

And while I agree that he might be better off working with some people at some point (as he already does) and to make the game modable so that the community can contribute (as he already does)... Dwarf Fortress is Toady's game. If it wasn't primarily a one man show, it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 07:03:25 pm »

Got sad after reading the first page of the thread, and skipped right to the reply-part:

I don't get any of the complaints in this thread. Toady has announced a buggy release. He has announced that he will release an opengl-merged version. He is going to fix the worst bugs first. I honestly can't find reasons to be mad at neither the game or Toady one, because he has delivered exactly what he made us expect, if not better.

If you don't like the new bugs: Wait for a fixed release, and play the relatively stable 40d in the meantime.
If you don't like the 40d-bugs: Wait for a fixed release, and play something else. Personally, I havent found any horrible bugs in 40d, and has very much enjoyed playing it.
If you cannot fix tilesets in the new version: Find the link on the frontpage of the wiki, with the mayday-tileset preset and prepackaged.
As for the resizing of the window: it's on its way!

Seriously people, it's the best game you can get for free anywhere. Stop your complaining, and work on your patience-skills!
/end rant
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:17 pm »

I'm not disappointed at all. I think if you are disappointed, you weren't really following the development.

No one said this was going to be Dwarf Fortress II. It was pretty clear from the start of this dev cycle that it was much more about restructuring the games core mechanics in order to make the big game play additions possible. Basically he's worked very hard to create a bunch of new and flexible systems so that adding all the stuff that is going to improve the hell out of this game will be easy.

I'm actually impressed by the flexibility of these systems, which I think are especially evident if you look through legends and play around with adventure mode a bit. There are only a few functions so far (demons becoming rulers, et cetera...), but the implications are obvious.

The idea that you could open-source this and achieve quality is a bit misplaced. Most open source projects die too. In reality we have one person who is devoting his entire life to the development of what is amounting to his life's work, which is something which already stands out among games even though it is hardly completed. Having one guy with a dream that is willing to go at this full force is far more valuable then a legion of half assers. How many open source games would you rather play over DF?

I think what were going to see is some fairly rapid bug fixing, and then probably a lot of content that is going to be plugged into the new systems in less than a year.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:46 pm »

Two words: Troll Thread.

Some more words: You are all posting in it, and I thought you should know about that.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »

I suppose we don't need to point out the irony inherent to your own post then :P

I don't get any of the complaints in this thread. Toady has announced a buggy release. He has announced that he will release an opengl-merged version. He is going to fix the worst bugs first. I honestly can't find reasons to be mad at neither the game or Toady one, because he has delivered exactly what he made us expect, if not better.

It's the attitude the "normal" game industry breeds in gamers. We over pay for half-finished products, tired paradigms and the like. We can do nothing except bitch about what we're handed, because we know that most developers won't read what we say, and even though they might "care", it's largely out of their hands.

It's a different story around here, but some people automatically default to "enraged/disappointed/disillusioned" fan.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:11:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »

I suppose we don't need to point out the irony inherent to your own post then :P
Posting about the thread is not the same as replying to the troll.

Replying == feeding the troll
Ignoring him and informing others of his shenanigans == angering the troll. Even if they say they are not angry.

Don't feed the trolls.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »

*shrug* I was replying more to the people who were talking about the serious concerns about this release. Not the 'omg it won't auto-resize' nonsense.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 08:00:20 pm »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:12 pm »

Wow. I'm really glad Toady doesn't read the forums.

You want to talk disappointment? This thread disappoints me. We're talking about the alpha version of a free game. Some of you folks are acting like the guy owes you something just because you sat on your ass and waited for two years. Big fucking deal.

And you open source fuckers can go to hell. You want to see what a community project looks like? Go look at the fucking TOME forums. Everybodies to busy pointing fingers to sit down and get anything done. Do you want DF to turn into that, just so you can get your name in the program and increase the size of you epeen by OVER 9000?

If so, fuck you.

I'm out. I've got RAWs to to check and bugs to test. If you want to do something useful, you can contribute.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 08:21:01 pm »

You want to talk disappointment? This thread disappoints me.

I got this far and was like "Yes!" and then your post went sharply downhill.  What's with everyone flaming each other and posting dumb images?  People are allowed to be disappointed, and they're allowed to post about it.  I guarantee you that Toady and TT will be much more displeased with people calling each other "open source fuckers" than with reasoned criticisms of their development style.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:23:39 pm by Footkerchief »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 08:23:35 pm »

Sorry Foot. Just being honest.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:54 pm »

Wow. I'm really glad Toady doesn't read the forums.

You want to talk disappointment? This thread disappoints me. We're talking about the alpha version of a free game. Some of you folks are acting like the guy owes you something just because you sat on your ass and waited for two years. Big fucking deal.

And you open source fuckers can go to hell. You want to see what a community project looks like? Go look at the fucking TOME forums. Everybodies to busy pointing fingers to sit down and get anything done. Do you want DF to turn into that, just so you can get your name in the program and increase the size of you epeen by OVER 9000?

If so, fuck you.

I'm out. I've got RAWs to to check and bugs to test. If you want to do something useful, you can contribute.

rofl

I love how people always refer to this as an "alpha". As if that means anything. He could call it the beta version, the gamma version, whatever. It wouldn't matter.

NEWSFLASH: The game will always be in "alpha". The game is never going to be "released". It will be like this forever. Don't think that one day there's going to be some kind of transition and "alpha" will "end".

And because it's "free" we can't critique it? Grow up already. It's ok to critique something, even to be disappointed by it. You say it's  a "free game", but it's not. I pay for it. I pay to support Toady so that he can keep working and so do a lot of other people. I WANT to keep contributing and I WANT Toady to fix it.

You have to understand that the release is buggy, sure, we all expected that. But we didn't expect it to be so massively filled with fail and add so little 2 years after 40d was first released. It's really sad, to  be honest.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:33:56 pm by ZeroGravitas »

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:31 pm »

I feel like when I take some time and try to write out a reasonable post, it gets buried by unrelated/unreasonable posts.
Alright, so "Son I am Disapoint" is funny but it didn't really add anything to a conversation. Same with calling the OP a troll. Whats the point? Do you rack up some kind of points by making posts of no informational value?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 08:34:28 pm »

I feel like when I take some time and try to write out a reasonable post, it gets buried by unrelated/unreasonable posts.
Alright, so "Son I am Disapoint" is funny but it didn't really add anything to a conversation. Same with calling the OP a troll. Whats the point? Do you rack up some kind of points by making posts of no informational value?

I agree. Whether you like the new DF or don't like it, those kind of posts add nothing to the conversation and those people should be summarily banned.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 08:37:30 pm »

Zero: I think you are underestimating Toady by saying it will never be 'released.' I agree in saying that the alpha distinction is arbitrary. But, I think the end goal for Toady is to have a game with the details he wanted that more or less functions the way he wants it too. That is what is meant by 'released.'

The vocabulary for traditional game development is being used for lack of an alternative.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:42:20 pm by Spreggo »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8