Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Interconnected community pixel art  (Read 12893 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Interconnected community pixel art
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2010, 09:59:48 pm »

Hm, so it's a "winning" thing rather than having the artists agree on the matter.
 Also, I could see Omegastick's image earlier, but not now.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2010, 10:02:15 pm »

I just realized that two of the tiles I've submitted dropped a shade or two in the uploading process...

should I re-upload them or is this not a serious issue?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2010, 12:26:42 am »

Depends on if it doesn't look right to you, or doesn't match up to the tiles near it. Although supposedly a lot of the shading problems will be fixed when we are done.

Would it be possible to add animations to other people's tiles?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Halindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2010, 02:39:15 am »

Would it be possible to add animations to other people's tiles?
I personally wouldn't like my tiles animated

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2010, 06:39:14 am »

Hm, so it's a "winning" thing rather than having the artists agree on the matter.
 Also, I could see Omegastick's image earlier, but not now.

Not really, it's just that that was the best way to phrase it. The artists need to agree and fix something before it will be used, it's just the most recently submitted image that is rejected temporarily. In that case, it would count as a reservation rather than a full image(maybe with a neat "didn't fit" icon), until either of the conflicting images(or both) was edited to fix the conflict.

Most of the "rules" were unnessecary, because I was trying to ensure that *if* a troll came and decided to put hard-to-use images everywhere, there had to be a way to deal with it. I guess they still could, but since the rules are more generally guidelines, they would be rejected and have any intentionally bad images removed, because the point is to make this work as best as possible for the community without seeming arbitrary.
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2010, 06:51:44 am »

Both combined into one image, *and* partially colour-corrected!

Everything on there now will never be lost if a host fails to host it.
Eh?
Eh!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2010, 08:42:49 am »

I claim E5.

Image done. The colour of the background doesn't quite match up, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:04:43 am by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2010, 09:33:17 am »

I claim E5.

Image done. The colour of the background doesn't quite match up, sorry.

This one should match.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2010, 03:47:43 pm »

Well, when I wanted to animate the light from the magma, since it would be fairly easy, and look decent.

Spoiler: Again again! (click to show/hide)
_I keep trying to figure out what the gray stone layer is, so I know what formations and gems to use. Since it's beneath white marble, that would mean it's probably a contact-metamorphism stone or a laccolith, but I thought it would be black in that case. Could a more serious rock nerd come help?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2010, 05:26:46 am »

(g,8) was mine, and I'm fine with someone animating it if they feel like it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:03 pm »

sweet! Someone connected one to my piece! Anyhow, the black line around the village is unnecessary if anyone wants to remove it to better match with their picture.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:51 pm »

Note that the composite is based off the array in the first post, so please don't bother creating a new composite image with your changes, this isn't a "pass around the image and add to it" game.
Eh?
Eh!

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2010, 09:55:23 pm »

A8 please.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:19 pm »

Note that the composite is based off the array in the first post, so please don't bother creating a new composite image with your changes, this isn't a "pass around the image and add to it" game.
Could you tell me how the first part of the sentence leads to the second? Why don't you use a composite image for the first post? It would be easier.

Edit: Barbarossa, you'll probably want to send in a different version without the line... and possibly a town wall in stead.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:04:53 pm by Nivm »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:08 am »

Simply because I can edit the first post without access to any sort of image editing tools. Also, since some people may put their images at a place that they can alter them later rather than having to ask to have the new one replaced in the composite.

And making a new composite image also requires uploading it, further restricting and complicating matters.

Finally, any decent browser should cache the images, so if it does, then only the newly added ones must be downloaded. Also, composite images are large, so posting one will make this take even longer to load. Any user still on dialup probably wouldn't prefer to have ~10 500k images per page.

Edit:
Oh, and because I no longer would control the images, someone could easily begin subtly altering the composite every time they added to it. I doubt anyone would, but I would rather not give anyone a chance.

Plus, I keep my composites in .xcf format while the animated .gif only allows 255 colours *total*, so there would be a loss of quality after each person adds to the image.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:12:18 am by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19