Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 404364 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4650 on: December 29, 2011, 10:40:26 pm »

@trees: yes i did change the MATERIAL_SIZE by 150, by for balancing reasons I made it 1 bar for armor rating 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3. but since armor rating has nothing to do with how good the armor is, as you said, i have to rethink the number of bars per item.

About the negative value thing:

I know for a fact that negative value on items works and is portait like that ingame.
The value of an item adds to wealth, so negative value SHOULD decrease it. Untested.
It is also true that the number of migrants correspond to the wealth. No exact numbers though...

One fun thing of note: You can sell these items to traders, but you have to pay them to take it. lol, awesome.

So the theory is sound. But testing will be hard and how should you know if it really works ? once a certain wealth is created you jump over a treshhold. For example Invasion. Even if you lower your wealth below the invasion treshhold (100.000 created wealth default) the invasions still come, since you topped it once.

I dont know if migrants work the same.... 

For your material use do some research on the article of armor, gauntlets would take one bar, where a breastplate might take 4-5 bars, chainmail at the 3-4 (which is odd as chainmail in vanilla DF has more coverage area then breastplates.) greaves and chain leggings 2-3 bars, boots (high) 2 bars boot (low) 1 bar. Helm would probally be 2 bars, and a buckler would be 2 where a shield would be 3 bars (larger)

I did not know that Migrants where affected by wealth I thought it was time, time to make a super -X value item so I can get rid of migrants without changing the POP_CAP in the init.txt

since your more concerned about the invaders BP's being the -X values you won't have to worry about paying traders to take them :P or getting paid to take them from traders lol

And I believe the invaders come no matter what just as long as you flipped that switch PROGRESS_TRIGGER_(reason). this is a theory because even if my population goes below their TRIGGER I still have that crap load of wealth which sets off their TRIGGER_WEALTH soo... Yeah should try with a invading Civ that only has a PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP so once you get enough ppl murdered will they not invade next season (also make them active all year round)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4651 on: December 30, 2011, 11:20:43 am »

Right know I am more of a mind to give invaders a custom_corpse, made of liquid:blood. I tested, anything that dies leaves it's equipment and a bloodsplatter instead of a corpse. I added a Crematory to burn vermin corpses, bodyparts and corpses, but corpses do not work, apparently hardcoded.

In my test game the invaders arrive with half up till full armor and  no clothing. If I get rid of the corpses I have only goblinite left. On the other hand dumping corpses on something really hot would work as well. Instead of a reaction that takes corpses as ingredient I could just add a Junkburner to be build under a open space tile and use the ingame mechanic of heat to burn them. Would be a bit counter intuitive though.

Questions over questions... argh. I will continue for now to eliminate redundant features...

EDIT: DAMN IT. Completely forgot why I came here for the first place:
I know you can not edit/mod standart building, like adding reactions to them. Let's say burn wooden furniture to create coal in a wood burner- workshop. BUT can I not just delete the original Permitted_building:woodburner and add a new custom workshop, same name, same look, same hotkey, that has the Make ash and Make charoal reactions the original woodburner had, and then add more custom ones ?

If this works then you could in theory mod every building in the game...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:34:33 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: December 30, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »

For corpses most people just create an atom smasher (raiseable bridge with a garbage dump under it) but since you are using the "drop blood splatter" on death doesn't that show up in the LIQUID_MISC or GLOB part of the stocks screen? Because if you wanted the value decrease, you could make it a tool that is -X value that is also made from a material that has a -X value aswell. And if you make [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN] "ACCEPTABLE" they should be able to use the Corpse item (not the CORPSE but the dropped tool)

And your creametory/kiln (what your using for buring) for the wooden funiture (and any other wooden item) goto the material_template.txt and add [REACTION_CLASS:WOODEN] to it then you can use this formula for a reaction
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:GET_WOOD_FROM_DOOR]
[NAME:deconstruct wooden door]
[BUILDING:WOOD_REGEN:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:DOOR:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:WOODEN]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:CARPENTRY]
Of course you would have to change it to make ash/coke/charcoal/wood depending on how you want to do it. Now with stone stuff that easy because all you need to do it replace [REACTION_CLASS:WOODEN] with [WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY].

And removing of the vanilla buildings to be replaced by custom ones it just... just Brilliant! since the mason's shop basically takes the nearist stone anyways to make funiture, we can make reactions that do that... My God I think I will use this idea... Get rid of that redunant Mason's Workshop 2 that only has like 3 reactions anyways.

EDIT:
wait just looked at the entity, and it seems only SOAP_MAKERS shop and SCREW_PRESS are the only ones that can be removed... Still a good idea tho, if it could be done.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 12:52:37 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4653 on: December 30, 2011, 01:32:50 pm »

You dont have to remove the building. Just the Permitted_building tag in the entity.. then it should not show up anymore in fortress mode. Then just make a custom workshop that is an identical copy of the original building, and now you can add any reaction to any workshop you want.

Please tell me that I am wrong, because doing that would be a ton of work. ;)

EDIT: I am an idiot. Ignore what i just wrote.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:34:38 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: December 30, 2011, 07:15:12 pm »

That's really helpful.

How long do eggs take to hatch? Does egg size make a difference in how long the eggs take to hatch ?
Sorry for the late response

I'm afraid I don't know either of those for sure.  I'm not the scienc-y type,  I don't have the patience to keep track of exactly how long after laying an egg takes to hatch.  I just go with 'eventually'.  After 2 years the eggs are probably duds.  Rumor is egg size directly impacts hatching time and a good number of folks seem to believe it, so that may help you a bit anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4655 on: December 30, 2011, 08:11:29 pm »

The wiki also states that the egg size does influence the hatching time. the bigger the egg, the longer it takes.

Back again with more questions:
What influences the actual creatures that will be sent into sieges by a civ. Do they randomly select creatures from their civ, from random castes, and just spawn ?

Or is their a way to influence the number of each specific creature. Like attacking with 60% meele, 30% ranged and 10% building destroyer caste + 1 special unit. ?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: December 30, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »

1. Yeah.

2. Nope. Not that I know of.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: December 30, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »

You can't select what the invaders bring as in you cannot control the squads (Hammermen, Macemen, Bowmen, Crossbowmen, etc..) you can however have some sway over what castes spawn to attack by using the [POP_RATIO:xx].

Now since it is a ratio it would kinda go like this.

common [POP_RATIO:100]
not so common [POP_RATIO:50]
fairly rare [POP_RATIO:25]
rare [POP_RATIO:5]

so the ratio looks like this 100:50:25:5
so for every 100 "common" units spawned there will be 50 "not so common" units 25 "fairly rare" and 5 "rare"

Now this is only taking what you mentioned as the caste is the creature, but any of them can be dropped into a squad. So you may find that "common" combat grunt is in a bow squad and your "rare" is in a mace squad.

So to summerize:

You cannot have any control of what fighting squad is chosen (unless you give them only one weapon "bow" then all of them will be archers)

You can however make one caste more common "grunts" that are the weakest and "leaders" which are stronger, but are more rare. Example
grunts [POP_RATIO:100]
leaders [POP_RATIO:25]

I chose these numbers because they are easy to do simple quick math
everytime one of this creatures race is born/spawned it has a %25 chance to be a leader, if it misses that it joins the %75 of grunts

Anyone disagree? or have more info?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4658 on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »

Sounds good.

How come that goblins have single "master" units then, Legendary in one combat skill, that accompany their squads ? Are these hardcoded to be simple legendary copys of an existing caste ?

And the pop ratio just changes the CHANCE a caste is chosen for a squad, but not the actual number of units in the squad ?

If this is Yes and Yes, then i have everything to get started :)

Edit: I just lied. One more question to come: How come Trolls are in goblin sieges, they are no goblin caste.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:57:19 pm by Meph »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: December 30, 2011, 09:00:17 pm »

Think of that "Master" unit is the squad leader, and it's going by the fact that "the best is leader" he is basically a trained "caste" of the race

And [POP_RATIO:xx] does not alter squad size, just "what" caste of creature is spawned to be in a squad

So hopefully I understood what you asked lol

I will have to say

Yes, basically a trained leader (he gets killed squad flees, donno if [NOFEAR] negates fleeing and makes them do a LMS)

Yes as for the chosen caste for a indiv. member of the squad, and Yes does not affect squad size.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »

Sounds good.

How come that goblins have single "master" units then, Legendary in one combat skill, that accompany their squads ? Are these hardcoded to be simple legendary copys of an existing caste ?

And the pop ratio just changes the CHANCE a caste is chosen for a squad, but not the actual number of units in the squad ?

If this is Yes and Yes, then i have everything to get started :)

Edit: I just lied. One more question to come: How come Trolls are in goblin sieges, they are no goblin caste.

"Master X" is literally the job title for a unit with a legendary weapon skill, and I believe those are hardcoded to show up in sieges. Pop ratio is only chance, yes. Trolls are in goblin sieges because goblins use evil cave animals and SLOW_LEARNER creature that are domesticated by civs--such as trolls--will show up in sieges.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4661 on: December 30, 2011, 09:30:48 pm »

And thanks again. I love this thread. :)

Then I know how I will set up my entitys and creatures.

But adding another [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM][CAN_LEARN][SLOW_LEARNER] creature would mean that Goblins bring that as well as trolls... or, the other way around, if I make another race that uses cavern creatures, they would bring trolls...

Any way of differentiating (is that a real word?) (any way to influence) which entity brings which cavern animal that can learn with them ? I found only subterrean chasm biome tag on trolls, but goblins always bring them in any genned world.

Would it work to make the creature share a biome only with the sarting biome of the wanted entity ?

And sorry if I ask so much, but I cant really find anything about this on the wiki, not even in the entity token section...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:58 pm »

Well tecnically it would have to be a [EVIL] CHASM learning creature :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: December 30, 2011, 10:54:23 pm »

You can however make one caste more common "grunts" that are the weakest and "leaders" which are stronger, but are more rare. Example

everytime one of this creatures race is born/spawned it has a %25 chance to be a leader, if it misses that it joins the %75 of grunts

Just want to point out a bit of math here dealing with ratios. You claim that each time a creature is born it has a 25% chance of being a leader, but actually it would have a 20% chance. 100/25= a 4 to 1 ratio, meaning 4 grunts are born for every leader that is born. To get the percentage chance, you add up all of the ratios (100+25=125), and divide each ratio by the total (100/125=4/5=80%, 25/125=1/5=20%). For a 25% you would want the pop ratios to reduce to a 1 to 3 ratio, such as [POP_RATIO:75] and [POP_RATIO:25]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: December 30, 2011, 11:00:31 pm »

Just want to point out a bit of math here dealing with ratios. You claim that each time a creature is born it has a 25% chance of being a leader, but actually it would have a 20% chance. 100/25= a 4 to 1 ratio, meaning 4 grunts are born for every leader that is born. To get the percentage chance, you add up all of the ratios (100+25=125), and divide each ratio by the total (100/125=4/5=80%, 25/125=1/5=20%). For a 25% you would want the pop ratios to reduce to a 1 to 3 ratio, such as [POP_RATIO:75] and [POP_RATIO:25]
Lol sorry I'm a bit tired. but that definalty makes more sense. I was hoping for simple math lol :P
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 357