Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56

Author Topic: Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress (Succession) IS COMPLETE!  (Read 151756 times)

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress! (Succession)
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2010, 08:56:01 am »

what is that water reservoir good for?

Interesting fortress. Water reservoir + tower equals giant waterfall in my thinking. :)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2010, 10:41:35 am »

Will water wheels work if they're fully submerged?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2010, 10:46:03 am »

what is that water reservoir good for?
It's for power generation.

Interesting fortress. Water reservoir + tower equals giant waterfall in my thinking. :)
We do have a moat around the outer wall that is connected to the water source for the pump stack.  8)

Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2010, 11:19:35 am »

Alright, that was a fun turn!

Here's the map with plenty of POI.

Here's the save.

Journal to follow soon...

Edit, OK, finals got in the way of my properly journaling, but I do have some pictures!

Yay, we've got artifacts!

Alright, some loot to stash our loot in!  And another mood?  Yeah!

Ah, erm, now... now we booze it up in style!  OK, not that useful, but there's more:

OK.  That's useful.  We get to pretend to boss people around with this awesome kingly scepter...

Sigh.  So, apparently we're a bunch of spoiled greedy lushes.  What should I have expected?

Here are some shots of my work on the tower:

All the walls and floors on this floor were built using blocks.  The pool of water is meant to be a completely awesome non-functional hot tub heated by the magma flowing through its walls.

Here's a shot of the floor in Stonesense:

Yay magma!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 11:12:31 am by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2010, 12:10:14 pm »

Alright, that was a fun turn!

Here's the map with plenty of POI.

Here's the save.

Journal to follow soon...
Dear god, the magma. ;_;

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:39 pm »

Your forge floor is a work of art.  I'm glad someone was able to get magma up so early.  Bonus points for building the pump stack straight through the caverns.

I was planning on sealing off the first floor, flooding it and using the second floor as a general ore/glass/gem/wood processing facility with quick resource access.  I can see that you've removed the nickel floodgate that would have allowed the first floor to be flooded.

The only issue that I see with the magmaworks is that it looks like we'll need to move the water pump stack slightly to the left to continue higher and build obsidian casting/harvesting floors.

But overall I'm amazed.

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2010, 01:14:51 pm »

That magma industry is way further above ground than I would like normally. I can see a LOT of Fun going into this... =P

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »

The bridge system for the main entrance needed to be fixed, so I built this side entrance for access during repair.

Fixed how?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2010, 01:48:45 pm »

Your forge floor is a work of art.

Thanks!  It was a lot of fun to put together.

I can see that you've removed the nickel floodgate that would have allowed the first floor to be flooded.

I saw the lever, but couldn't find the floodgate for the longest time.  Flipping the switch didn't do anything.  Finally I noticed a hole in the pump stack wall and saw that the floodgate was stuck open with peat, blood, and other filth.  I decided to just play it safe and wall it up.  The thought of flooding the first floor with magma never crossed my mind, but now I can see how it was set up to be totally awesome.  I'd have tried to execute your set up if I had another shot at it.

I think the next player could still do it, if they didn't mind having a casualty.  If you killed the power to the magma stack and deconstructed that wall, you could totally still do it.  Make sure it's some useless kid doing the dirty work and you come out with a magma lake and slightly less lag.

That magma industry is way further above ground than I would like normally. I can see a LOT of Fun going into this... =P

I'm hoping this fort keeps going long enough that the magma works ends up in the middle of the tower.  There's still a lot more room to expand upward.

The bridge system for the main entrance needed to be fixed, so I built this side entrance for access during repair.

Fixed how?

It may have been something I was doing wrong, but neither the large main bridge nor the the thin side bridge were flipping when I hit their switches.  I decided to deconstruct and reconstruct the large main one, and I eliminated the thin side one.  I figured there wouldn't be a lot of times we'd want to keep wagons out and let invaders in.
At last, she is done.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »

For the main one, were you flipping the lever labeled "Main Entrance Control" or somesuch? Because it worked when I set it up.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2010, 04:18:33 pm »

Quote from: Graebeard
I saw the lever, but couldn't find the floodgate for the longest time.  Flipping the switch didn't do anything.  Finally I noticed a hole in the pump stack wall and saw that the floodgate was stuck open with peat, blood, and other filth.  I decided to just play it safe and wall it up.  The thought of flooding the first floor with magma never crossed my mind, but now I can see how it was set up to be totally awesome.  I'd have tried to execute your set up if I had another shot at it.

I think the next player could still do it, if they didn't mind having a casualty.  If you killed the power to the magma stack and deconstructed that wall, you could totally still do it.  Make sure it's some useless kid doing the dirty work and you come out with a magma lake and slightly less lag.

Both pump stacks were designed to be capable of being dried.  On the generator floor are four levers.  Two control the power to the pump stack, and can be pulled if the generator is failing and needs to cut down on power usage, and two control the flow.

The two that control flow work by closing floor hatches on the first floor.  If one is pulled, any additional fluid use will drain the first floor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only issue I can see is designing a new path to the outside to collect sand.

Also, the fact that filth can block floodgates brings a whole new element of terror into the game.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2010, 04:20:47 pm »

This fort jsut feels right somehow.

The magma level is beautiful.

Is the room south of the dining room still being used exclusively for boozahol?

I love the workshop area.

The bottom of the pump stack brings back so many WTF memories. Most notably "WTF?!?!?! A magma man?! How did that get there? I was just about to breach the magma sea! He came early!" (NO "that's what she said" jokes, please)

And that side bridge will be the death of us all.

All in all, I rate this turn a 13/15. No post-worthy chaos, tantrum spirals, or megabeasts, but otherwise perfect.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:36 pm »

It the pool of water in the magmaworks for using the "water covering" bug to melt creatures?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »

For the main one, were you flipping the lever labeled "Main Entrance Control" or somesuch? Because it worked when I set it up.

I deconstructed that lever along with the bridge when I relocated the trade depot. It was replaced with a (pitchblende!) lever connected to a some gear assemblies which operated a pair of pumps of the level above the reservoir which pumped water onto/off of a pair of pressure plates which each controlled one of the new entrance bridged. This was set up so only one bridge would be open at a time, allowing traders access to the depot while keeping the fort safe from intruders.

The other (orthoclase!) lever should've worked, though, as it was connected directly to the side bridge.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »

This was set up so only one bridge would be open at a time, allowing traders access to the depot while keeping the fort safe from intruders.

I thought you said the goblins were extinct?

Kobolds so early?
Be sure to make a moat and a retracting bridge, because gobbos must be in their way now)

Also, the only civs listed on embark were humans and elves, so I don't think we'll be getting sieges.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 56