Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 113191 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2010, 11:09:47 pm »

So can I stick adamantine armored and crossbowed dwarves in little pods, drop them from 100 z-levels up, and have them fight off sieges from the outside of my (sealed) tower?

awwesome

That's not really what the sub does :P If you want to do that, order your soldiers into a 1x1 room with a retracting bridge floor, and far below have a similar 1x1 room with a cat chained in. They'll all land happily on the cat (or each other) without damage. Though I believe in 0.31 retracting bridges won't retract when a creature is on them.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2010, 11:44:42 pm »

Shoot me for only reading 6 pages of this, but...

one could cast obsidian above the ocean, and (presumably, I've never tried) the obsidian would fall. If you make a box 'o the stuff, you could mine it out, and live underwater. (Or, you could use it to keep water out for the construction of a hardcore sub)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2010, 11:48:34 pm »

I am currently in the process of mining out a 4x4 embark containing a thin strip of good-aligned ocean to the east and towering volcano to the west. Once I have at least 10 z-levels below sea-level cleared out, I plan to knock down the sand wall and let the ocean pour in. Then I can finally start up Dwarven Sealab.

That's the plan, at least. Even with super-speed robot Dwarves, this is taking forever.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2010, 12:01:56 am »

one could cast obsidian above the ocean, and (presumably, I've never tried) the obsidian would fall. If you make a box 'o the stuff, you could mine it out, and live underwater. (Or, you could use it to keep water out for the construction of a hardcore sub)

Yeah, check pages... I think 10 onwards. There's a design for the Hammer, a hammer-shaped (that is, an upside-down T) obsidian cast that you can first drop into the water and then have your dwarves dig in through the 'handle.' Then you can collapse the handle down and have the sub totally independent from the surface.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2010, 07:46:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll just leave this here. Tested and confirmed in Fortress mode. Only a partial success because my 7x7 base broke up on collapse due to some extra lava, but we have dropped dwarves living under the sea.

The Hammer Method is a winner!
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2010, 11:40:51 am »

Yeah, check pages... I think 10 onwards. There's a design for the Hammer, a hammer-shaped (that is, an upside-down T) obsidian cast that you can first drop into the water and then have your dwarves dig in through the 'handle.' Then you can collapse the handle down and have the sub totally independent from the surface.
Crap. My bad.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »

The Hammer Method is a winner!

VICTORY!

Crap. My bad.

No worries, it is getting to be a monster of a thread :P

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2010, 05:31:53 pm »

After reading the entire thread (and I did read the entire thread, don't judge me.), even though the hammer method, and the rapture method work, it's just not the same as dropping an obsidian block down there and somehow inhabiting it.
So my questions are, do natural ramps support natural ceilings, and does burning material have the capacity to evaporate water faster than it can flow in under the pressure of the whole ocean?
I doubt the ramps will work, because natural stairs don't work.
Using burning material was mentioned earlier in the post as a possibility for creating a temporary dry platform while dwarves dig into, and seal the obsidian submarine.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2010, 08:42:42 pm »

Im trying a method of sending down sealed compartments, dwarf free, and then having the dwarves deconstruct walls to form rooms from these compartments. Ill post the results soon.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

It did not go so well. Collided with SMR and BOOM! no more beautiful obsidian sub.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 15, 2010, 10:17:17 pm »

Gah! So much to mine! And now an aquifer!

Kadzar cancels mood: went insane
Kadzar is stricken by melancholy!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2010, 12:35:57 am »

Just to be technical, I think the proper term would be Submagmatic
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2010, 04:11:56 am »

Insightful...
do natural ramps support natural ceilings

Probably this:
I doubt the ramps will work, because natural stairs don't work.
Solids just fall, as far as they can.

does burning material have the capacity to evaporate water faster than it can flow in under the pressure of the whole ocean?
Potentially.
I seem to remember using a utility to raise a single square to 20000 Urists, and that draining five squares around it. However, a lignite bin won't burn that hot. If you set up an unbroken ring of them I'm sure it would work, but I'm not sure for how many z-levels of water.
Dwarven science required.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 16, 2010, 07:17:08 am »

I tried this in 40d, except I didn't even know about obsidian-casting at the time.  Just constructed the sub on a jetty and dropped it.  Was disappointing, obviously ):  It's inspiring to see that my dream may be possible though!

Posting to follow, mainly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 16, 2010, 07:14:27 pm »

Giving this a shot myself. I've got the submarine down as well as the shaft, now beginning to dig down into it. I'm doing this on a bigger scale than the examples, with an ovular sub that's 13x15x7 plus a 5z high 'tail' that is a make-believe propellor :P I think with careful use of baffles I can dig diagonally under the sub and have water underneath the sub without rising up and flooding it. Making the 'hammer' is going to be tough as hell, though, since it's going to have to be I think 7z high and shaped more like a square ring with a pillar in the center of the ring than a hammer (damned 3d world!)

The biggest problem was the shallowness of the ocean, actually. I had to dig out a massive 19x19x10 dry chamber under the sea with a floor-thin ceiling and then collapse everything into it :P
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18