Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214100 times)

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »

"GPU unable to accommodate texture catalog. Retry without graphical tiles, update your drivers, or better yet update your GPU."

When i try to make a new map this is what i get in a message box :|

Of course when i turn off graphics, it works fine.

I have a 9500 nvidia gt graphics card with a gig of memory. I think that should be good enough to accommodate this?

known issue
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1911

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 17, 2010, 01:40:16 pm »

I don't have a graphics card (I know, I know...got the laptop used for free from a relative after mine broke).  I'm guessing this version won't work at all for me?

kuaera

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 17, 2010, 01:48:00 pm »

I don't have a graphics card (I know, I know...got the laptop used for free from a relative after mine broke).  I'm guessing this version won't work at all for me?
It will work; there's still a 'fallback' option for classic rendering. It just won't be as fast. If your laptop's integrated graphics have any manner of 2D/3D acceleration [which it more than likely has, if it's capable of playing DF in any capacity], you can select some of the other acceleration options for better speed, though.

I play DF 40d on a four-year-old IBM Thinkpad T42. Even though the graphics chip is old [Radeon 7500 Mobility, I think?], it's still accelerated.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 17, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »

I'm too lazy to check all 18 pages, but has the retarded doctor bug been fixed?

I know dressing and sutcures aree fixed (cant play for a while) but what about surgery and traction?

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 17, 2010, 01:56:31 pm »

I'm having all sorts of troubles getting the program to work properly on Linux, now; it refuses to load any manner of PNG file, likely due to my system primarily running version 0.14 and DF expecting 0.12 [ldd dwarffort.exe reveals that both v0.12 and v0.14 are being loaded].

My libpng is 1.4.1 (0.14 was that a typo?), works fine. Unfortunately ldd doesn't work for me so I can't check, but the only libpng libraries I have installed are the 64- and 32-bit 1.4.1.

I can't seem to Alt-Tab or CTRL+ALT+D (show desktop) out of fullscreen-mode in the Linux version: this may well have always been an issue but seems like something that could use a fix. Similarly, the close-window button should really be functional - we don't all live in front of a DF window 24/7 :)
Why not just hit F11 to switch to windowed mode if you need to quickly check something? Providing global hotkeys for all kind of different operating systems, distros, window managers etc. can become quite a burden. There's a lot more under the hood between windowed and fullscreen mode than just how it looks to the end uesr.. and often if the window manager forces the focus away from an fullscreen application (like on Windows), many apps just crash. Alternatively, just resize the windowed mode to cover up most of the screen, since this version now supports free window resizing.

The quit button behaviour depends on the window manager (mine doesn't have any buttons), but generally speaking is the same on Windows, Linux (and Mac?), meaning it is the same thing as hitting ESC. What would you expect? Should the game quit without saving? Should it first save and then quit? But what if the WM doesn't wait until saving is finished and force kills the application? Then you get a corrupted save game. Not nice.

Every computer has a graphics card or chip. Otherwise you wouldn't be seeing anything on your display.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:06 pm »

Using the Windows Small/No Music download, my d_init file does precisely nothing. None of the values I enter into the file have any effect on the game. It doesn't appear to even be read by the game. No autosaves, no initial save, no pause on saving, no control over temperature/weather/economy, no map reject logging, no embark rectangle default changing, etc etc etc. Basically makes the game unplayable for me.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2010, 02:00:21 pm »

I know dressing and sutcures aree fixed (cant play for a while) but what about surgery and traction?

Surgery and traction aren't fixed, but Toady has "acknowledged" them, so that may mean they'll get prioritized. 

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2010, 02:17:07 pm »

Surgery and traction aren't fixed, but Toady has "acknowledged" them, so that may mean they'll get prioritized.

Well that sucks, surgery seems the most buggy out of all, (I only had this happen once tho.)

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 17, 2010, 02:17:54 pm »

The new build works on my dads newer macbook but not on my mac mini. I'm running version 10.3.9 which 40d worked fine on, does the new version not work on this?
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 17, 2010, 02:31:05 pm »

Minor little bug I noticed.  Linking a lever to a bridge, with only 2 bridges on the map, the screen would warp to the bridge that was NOT selected.  I select a cobaltite bridge deep underground in my FB trap, and the screen zooms to the bridge crossing my moat up at the surface, select the surface bridge and the screen zoomed down to my FB trap. 

Linking the mechanisms still seems to have linked to the proper bridge however.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 17, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »

The new build works on my dads newer macbook but not on my mac mini. I'm running version 10.3.9 which 40d worked fine on, does the new version not work on this?
10.3.9 is like 5 years old, Apple tends to phase out support for older systems relatively fast, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd suggest loading Linux on the machine if there was a PPC Linux build of DF, but I doubt we'll ever see that.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2010, 03:04:57 pm »

Default keybindings are weird. Probably because of german keyboard. Meh, they have always been weird. What does physical and logical mean? In any case, i was able to change them successfully..I think.

Mousewheel zoom makes screen go flickery (using some mayday stuff), but works. Screen resize works perfectly.

But: Win XP Pro 32bit SP3. Using 31.03 save, FPS drop from 30 in 31.03 to 15 in 31.04 with an init.txt changed to my likes and, oddly, only 10 with the default. Various other settings are even worse. This is sad. Do I need any kind of system settings or Software to profit from this release? Do I need to install some SDL or OPENGL stuff? Is there some more explanation what the different print mode settings do and what machine should profit from what setting?

Edit: Some setting in the init stops the mousewheel from working; nothing happens when using it anymore. Not sure what causes it. 
I can also confirm the glitching in z-stocks when accessing big columns, e.g. stones or seeds (have739) - the highlight tends to jump one further than intended. It's not impossible to access but it tends to jump it. Touching the key very shortly seems to help sometimes, but not always, while it can be accessed just fine with a "normal short" keystroke sometimes too.

Edit2: Now this is weird. With unchanged DF .04 on a new world I get a blank screen that doesn't go away when reseizing and the mousewheel does nothing.

Edit3: Now this is even weirder. Reloading the same new world reseizing and mousewheel work perfect (not even flickering).

Edit 4: Even with 7 idle dwarves at embark, i get abysmal Framerates (~40, interface jerkyness almost unbearable) compared to 200+ on 31.03. Why do you hate my computer?

Edit 5: I hate this release. *exhausts himself with expletives*

Edit6: setting [WINDOWEDY:50] and [FONT:curses_800x600.png] and [FPS:YES] results in black screen on resize.

Edit 7: entering the "moving records" screen does re-enable mouse wheel zoom???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:08:14 pm by blinking icons »
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

fnool

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 17, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »

Can't seem to get graphics working on my Mac - it crashes as soon as I try to load a map. Turning graphics off works fine.

The only nit I can pick other than that is that the framerate covers up the year in the Status screen.
Getting exactly the same problem here. Launch the game with graphics on = crashes as soon as I try loading/creating a world/entering the arena. Launch it with graphics off = no problem at all.

Screenshot of what terminal showed within:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 17, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »

Arena crashes on my Linux Mint system. Everything else works beautifully, though.

Jazhuis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 17, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

Excellent, my FPS has shot up through the roof.
Not excellent: I get crashes about every 10-15 minutes. Saving and reloading repeatedly seems to avoid these crashes. .31.01-03 were rock-solid.

Is there any way to get DF to dump a proper crash log? I doubt DrWatson is really going to be that much help. I haven't tried fiddling around with the graphic settings yet, I just went with the defaults.

I feel iffy putting "Game crashes" into the bug tracker with such a nebulous bit of information. Any suggestions on things I should try/better dump information I could provide so that it can actually be a useful bug report? :P

For reference:
2GHz Core2Duo
Intel Mobile 965 Graphics
Windows XP SP3
DF runs with:
Sound off
Graphics off, 80x25
Mode: standard, Single buffer: no
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 55