Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213778 times)

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2010, 08:12:47 am »

Ok after a little more testing today I'm finding that PRINT_MODE:ACCUM_BUFFER is the best performing setting - I still only get between 25 - 27fps but the game barely stalls to take breaths as it does in any of the 2D modes, except a little one when a message is displayed.

also, sorry my comment was sorta wrong on the fullscreen mode - it works fine unless is set PRINT_MODE to any of the 2D settings

also also, PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER doesn't work at all, it just gives me a grey screen

one other thing I found, the mouse zoom feels back to front, I tend not to use it anyway but when I roll forwards, it zooms out which feels a bit counter intuitive

anyway, I'm gonna dig me a fortress now

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:27 am »

I might have the reason music doesn't work in linux:  it's trying to open them as apple files for some reason.  Running strace on dwarfort.exe, and grepping for "^open", I see this:

Code: [Select]
open("data/sound/song_title.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 9
open("data/sound/song_title.ogg/rsrc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
open("data/sound/._song_title.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("data/sound/.AppleDouble/song_title.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("data/sound/song_game.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 9
open("data/sound/song_game.ogg/rsrc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
open("data/sound/._song_game.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("data/sound/.AppleDouble/song_game.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
so it not only finds the music it actually opens it!  Then takes a nosedive into lala land as it looks for all kinds of apple crap.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2010, 08:38:57 am »

The site finder seems to need a goosing every so often. I set it running. Then being stuck at 1/81 for a minute I went and did something else. Came back and still 1/81. So I pressed buttons at random just to get it to do something, but it started advancing when I hit up-arrow. Then stopped. Hit up-arrow again, same story. It seems to need a hit every time it advances the counter. Maybe the damn thing is waiting for input...

This is true for both the Mac and Win version.

Yes.  Basically it will search one area until you hit a key, then it will search the next area.  It takes ~10 sec or so on my mac laptop, so on a large world with 200+ areas, that's a lot of waiting, pressing a key.  Definitely seems to be a bug.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2010, 08:51:17 am »

Windows 7, X64
Radeon Mobility HD 3650

Every draw mode crashes on launch except for the 2D modes, which all work fine.
Even standard!

The last 40D# works for me for all of the 3D modes.

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 18, 2010, 09:11:39 am »

The site finder seems to need a goosing every so often. I set it running. Then being stuck at 1/81 for a minute I went and did something else. Came back and still 1/81. So I pressed buttons at random just to get it to do something, but it started advancing when I hit up-arrow. Then stopped. Hit up-arrow again, same story. It seems to need a hit every time it advances the counter. Maybe the damn thing is waiting for input...

Yes.  Basically it will search one area until you hit a key, then it will search the next area.  It takes ~10 sec or so on my mac laptop, so on a large world with 200+ areas, that's a lot of waiting, pressing a key.  Definitely seems to be a bug.

I found frantically clicking the mouse and swearing helps

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2010, 09:16:23 am »

Are all future updates going to be like this?  I can't get mine to look right in this version, and am just reverting to 31.03.

grymwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2010, 09:18:17 am »

i think the mud/pond is broken in 0.31.04 i irrigated via pond and the mud was just partly there

it looked like that:
oooxo
oxoox
oxxxo
ooxoo
ooooo

o==pile'o'mud
x== without mud

but the oddest thing is.. the descripton of the tile said... "muddied smthg floor" and sometimes there were piles of mud on that tile.. and sometimes not

Dwarves will clean mud off smoothed floors. Is there any chance this is what's happening?

I had the same thing happen, irrigating from brook - not cleaned, re-flooded and ensured that spot was covered by water, then dries up with no mud but the tile is called "muddied bitumous coal floor"

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:41 am »

Are all future updates going to be like this?  I can't get mine to look right in this version, and am just reverting to 31.03.

I don't believe so. from what I understand of it the merge with the 40d# stuff required a lot of the code to be replaced, resulting in errors. Once this is sorted out, I *think* we're moving onto fixing some of the worse 31.03 bugs. (potentially after some time off for Mr. Toady)

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 18, 2010, 09:30:16 am »

I might have the reason music doesn't work in linux:  it's trying to open them as apple files for some reason.  Running strace on dwarfort.exe, and grepping for "^open", I see this:

open("data/sound/song_title.ogg/rsrc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
open("data/sound/._song_title.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("data/sound/.AppleDouble/song_title.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("data/sound/song_game.ogg/rsrc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOTDIR (Not a directory)
open("data/sound/._song_game.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("data/sound/.AppleDouble/song_game.ogg", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
so it not only finds the music it actually opens it!  Then takes a nosedive into lala land as it looks for all kinds of apple crap.

.. but music works. o.O

Did you notice this one, might be related? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57492.msg1260020#msg1260020

I found frantically clicking the mouse and swearing helps

Sounds like the SDL polling for keys is blocking the process for some reason?

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:12 am »

I don't believe so. from what I understand of it the merge with the 40d# stuff required a lot of the code to be replaced, resulting in errors. Once this is sorted out, I *think* we're moving onto fixing some of the worse 31.03 bugs. (potentially after some time off for Mr. Toady)

Oh, I didn't mean in terms of bugs.  I'd never fuss about bugs with a game as neat as DF.  What I mean is the whole thing with the resolution and window sizing stuff.  I just can't get mine to look the way I like it, and I'm wondering if I will be able to keep playing DF the way I have been.  It really screws with my experience of the game when I can't get it to look right.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 18, 2010, 09:56:40 am »

The new build works on my dads newer macbook but not on my mac mini. I'm running version 10.3.9 which 40d worked fine on, does the new version not work on this?
10.3.9 is like 5 years old, Apple tends to phase out support for older systems relatively fast, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd suggest loading Linux on the machine if there was a PPC Linux build of DF, but I doubt we'll ever see that.

Fuck.

Well that's a year of waiting for nothing.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:08 am »

.. but music works. o.O
Really?  In linux?
Sounds like the SDL polling for keys is blocking the process for some reason?
SDL_PollEvent would not block, SDL_WaitEvent would block.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 18, 2010, 09:58:03 am »

Is it the 800X600.png not seeming to be sized the same that is throwing you off?  Back with the 40d# versions I was having that little odd size thing was bothering me as well.

Back in one of the the 40d# threads there should be a .png 800x300cursesold that is has the old proportions.  But I think you can still use the old .bmp files with this version, which could simplify matters.

Found the post in case it is more useful. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40349.msg889535#msg889535
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:02:13 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 18, 2010, 09:59:09 am »

The new build works on my dads newer macbook but not on my mac mini. I'm running version 10.3.9 which 40d worked fine on, does the new version not work on this?
10.3.9 is like 5 years old, Apple tends to phase out support for older systems relatively fast, I wouldn't be surprised. I'd suggest loading Linux on the machine if there was a PPC Linux build of DF, but I doubt we'll ever see that.

Fuck.

Well that's a year of waiting for nothing.
Welcome to the Apple treadmill, please bend over and accept the brand while your wallet is looted for the Apple Cause.  Have you bought this years' latest and greatest machine yet?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2010, 10:11:13 am »

Windows 7, X64
Radeon Mobility HD 3650

Every draw mode crashes on launch except for the 2D modes, which all work fine.
Even standard!

The last 40D# works for me for all of the 3D modes.

Same here, except on Vista x64, on a desktop pc. My 7 x64 pc works fine. And both have nvidia cards (GTX 260 in the crasher, GTX 285 in the working one).
EDIT: And graphics is off. This is a proper crash, not the graphics not working error message.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:13:41 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 55