Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214139 times)

naptha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #705 on: May 29, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

Thanks to all the bug reporters and coder gremlins, it makes life for the rest of us that much better!  :D
burninating the countryside, burninating the peasants!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25:33 pm »

Hi!

2. Maybe I should have used search, but search works so crappily on bboards that I rarely bother.

Please don't misunderstand my intention. I don't want to attack anyone, but I think you may find this information interesting:

As far as I recall, they said that the thread search function at bay12 forums has been fixed in the past few days/weeks. So, maybe the search works better here now (haven't really tested it, though).

I just mention that since it may be generally useful for you and you do not seem to be aware of that.

Deathworks

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 29, 2010, 02:45:32 pm »

It has. Search should pick up new messages within five minutes, now.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 29, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »

Using the binary posted somewhere earlier in this thread (the win32 one that skips texture checks, iirc) I have been able to get ogl mode (VBO, specifically) working. Been playing around for a bit, and (bugs aside) I gotta say I like the new stuff. Burrows are FRIGGIN AWESOME!! and the new military setup, while confusing, (and buggy) is also exceedingly powerful. I haven't done much with the Hospital stuff yet. Also loving the new HFS...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm planning on creating a very large open area a few z-levels above the hot HFS for tree farming, but I'm running into the same issue with mud washing away that others are, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Only two more things that would make my fortress perfect. A rotation sensor, to flip switches when an axel/gearbox changes state, and an 'Alert Bell' that would toggle between two Alerts when a switch or pressure sensor changes states. (Hum... think I'll post those in the suggestions forum as well)

Bugs aside, I love the new content, and can't wait for my first siege to test out the military, and all this steel armor/weapons I have made.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 29, 2010, 03:43:14 pm »

You should be careful about the hacked binary. The graphics failure is actually due to a threading error - race condition and erronous opengl use - and bypassing the safeties like that hack does is quite likely to make DF crash eventually.

That said, if it works for you, good. I only hope the fix I've got actually fixes the real problem, since here I just got a crash instead of seeing the dialog. I fixed the crash, but can't be sure that's all of it.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 29, 2010, 04:14:47 pm »

Baughn, thought of one more piece of the puzzle.  If the interface breakdown level changes in response to an input then the inputs need to stop feeding.

You might want to put a commented section in between the call to currentscreen->logic() and the feeding of input.  Then let Toady decide on the efficacy of that code.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:42 pm »

Definitely true, and well spotted with the whole issue. DF in general has trouble handling multiple input events in one frame, however; there's even code specifically to avoid giving any on particularly troublesome screens, like all of adventure mode.

Right now, I'm wondering if maybe I should just stop giving more than one event per cycle at all. Most of the time nobody will notice, but it could make very slow forts even more sluggish.. I'll try just adding this exception first, see if that's the last of it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 29, 2010, 04:36:37 pm »

It has. Search should pick up new messages within five minutes, now.

I noticed the improvement, and yeah, it's almost back to being as functional as it was before Sphinx.  One shortcoming that confuses me is that, assuming it builds an index of each word's occurrences, it's very strict about matching search terms against those indexed words.  For example, searching for "multipl" doesn't return any results for "multiple" or "multiplayer".  Is this an option that can be toggled?

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:54 pm »

quite likely to make DF crash eventually.
I see irony there ;D

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 29, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »

Footkerchief: I'm not sure, but I'll look into it.

Corbald: Crashing *immediately* is generally considered a better idea.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 29, 2010, 06:51:04 pm »

There is still the key_conflict that Toady put back in on just a few global key tests and he put the feed call after those tests again.  It really needs to be either the global key tests are handled in the interfacest::loop without any override from the view; or the view can override all of them.  Having a partial split like it was put back makes the code harder for both Toady and you.

The definition for viewscreenst::feed is quite clear that its events parameter can be modified by the view.  If Toady wants override abilities, which putting the default LEAVESCREEN on the same key as OPTIONS indicates; then he should do events.clear() within the feed and the feed call should be before all the global tests.

Bug Report
Toady's changes caused this sequence to no longer work: load save game, press U to display Units view, click window X to bring up the Options view.  When I was working on the input stuff originally Toady said the user should always be able to access the Options screen.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 29, 2010, 07:16:15 pm »

Corbald: Crashing *immediately* is generally considered a better idea.

Fortunately, I'm not having any issues/crashes that can't be found on the bug tracker. Oh, and great job Toady/Baughn/everyone else associated with this game. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!!  :'(

aiss1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 30, 2010, 05:19:26 am »

Hello,

I am running DF version 0.31.04 on my headless linux, with PRINT_MODE set to TEXT.
Everything works like charm until I come to the Choose fortress location -screen (shown below). The screen and every screen after it have extra letters in the left side of the screen, which print over the text and graphics of the game. This makes the game unenjoyable.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 30, 2010, 07:01:51 am »

This , is the shit

You are Credit to The World , Toady

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 30, 2010, 07:23:21 am »

aiss1: It's because of a linking error in DF; it links to ncurses instead of ncursesw.

I'll make sure it's fixed in 31.05. Meanwhile, you can fix yours by symlinking /lib/libncursesw.so.5 to df/libs/libncurses.so.5
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55