Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 214102 times)

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #750 on: June 01, 2010, 09:15:40 am »

Ok, can anyone tell me what happens if your dwarfs get hungry/thirsty and you don't stop them from working (31.04). Can't find anything newer than 31.01 and that seemed pretty inconclusive.
It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, consistency is the key.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 01, 2010, 09:53:21 am »

Mine eventually stop working on their own to grab food or drink. But they get unhappy thoughts from it.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ratboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 01, 2010, 10:13:52 am »

Mine eventually stop working on their own to grab food or drink. But they get unhappy thoughts from it.

Do they do crappy work? I've only been mining so far and seeing that it's early game I can't tell if they're making less rocks or not. If this makes them do crap work it makes the workshop repeat order pretty useless.
It doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong, consistency is the key.

wurli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 01, 2010, 10:38:47 am »

Do they do crappy work? I've only been mining so far and seeing that it's early game I can't tell if they're making less rocks or not. If this makes them do crap work it makes the workshop repeat order pretty useless.

exactly like that
you have to constantly monitor everyone and tell them to stop if a need arises
or you get crappy products that are produced very slowly

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »

Figured that out the hard way. From a month or two in, my Craftsdwarf has been on "Make Stone Crafts (r)", its three years, and he only makes a masterwork once or twice a month. Took him off, let him drink and eat, and put him back on, 10 masterworks within the season.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 01, 2010, 03:16:01 pm »

Would be nice within the Orders tab, there was a way to halt all current jobs for a "break" time.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 01, 2010, 03:43:16 pm »

Would be nice within the Orders tab, there was a way to halt all current jobs for a "break" time.

Just use the manager screen for all jobs instead of /r in the workshops

Make orders for large numbers of whatever you want that will be finished before the worker gets thirsty/tired/hungry.
So when you get the "X rock crafts have been completed" message just give the crafter a few minutes to eat, drink, whatever and then add another order for X number of items.
With a bit of practice that gets the best out the dwarfs without over stressing them.  About the only thing I ever put on /r is smelting and block making.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 01, 2010, 03:51:15 pm »

you have to constantly monitor everyone and tell them to stop if a need arises
or you get crappy products that are produced very slowly
If this is true, then the attitude of dwarves about work versus eating and sleeping needs some more work.  DF certainly doesn't need more job micromanagement.

I recommend that dwarves not start a job if it would take so long that they would be annoyingly hungry, thirsty, or sleepy by the time they finish it.  Personality would affect this, but it would also affect the level of unhappy feeling, so the actual willingness to be get X unhappy feeling to do a job would be fairly constant (and low).

What about jobs that take so long that nobody will do them because of this rule?  Well, then you make the job shorter, or split it up, or allow a dwarf to do a job in stages.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 01, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »

Well.. assuming I can get my old laptop to sell (Bloody macbook, I've had it with your EFI insanity), I should be getting a new one with a radeon card within a month or so. Feels like a sacrifice, given how annoying opengl has been on radeon... it's actually a pretty good card, though.

But the good news for you is, that means I'd be able to test my code on ATI and nVidia, drastically increasing the chance that it works! So cross your fingers. :P

In other news, I've been doing some downright silly optimizations lately. Perfectly safe, but I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't be chasing 1% graphics-code performance improvements. Though the chase did net me a 4% one a bit earlier.

Oh well. It's fun.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:46:25 pm by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 01, 2010, 08:36:56 pm »

I'd like to just ask if the ramp digging is special, because it seems to cause my computer to lag more than normal mining?
and of course ramp removal is also suffering from the same problem as well, is this necessary?

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 01, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »

Well, sad to say it, but it looks like I won't be able to play this version of DF (at least not very happily). I had the same experience with the last couple of D## versions. 40d16 gave me great framerates, but the one that suddenly had tons of options killed my fps. At the time I didn't really worry about it, but since that's the version of opengl stuff that moved into 31.04, my already lower framerate got cut by 50% or more. It runs about 40-80 on embark instead of 100-250. I know 40-80 is playable, but once you get more than 7 dwarves fps drops pretty quick.

How are other people getting the magical huge framerate boosts? I've tried every graphic mode, including 2D and PARTIAL with a variety of different numbers, all to no effect.

If anyone can figure out what the deal is, I'd love to play more 31.04. It's 64-bit Windows 7 with an nvidia card if that helps at all.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 02, 2010, 12:19:59 am »

Don't feel so bad. I get 25-30 FPS on Embark, and that on .03 where it's actually faster than .04 (at least it is for me.) Any tips to make .04 run faster? (Comp stats in sig)

Edit: What is Legacy?

Edit Edit: And what is 2D, 2DSW, 2DASYNC, PARTIAL:<number>, ACCUM_BUFFER, FRAME_BUFFER and VBO? Partial, I assume, it like Partial Printing. But when I set that to 2, I still don't get as good as frames as I did before.

Edit Edit Edit: Would turning SINGLE_BUFFER on help anything?

Edit Edit Edit Edit: Okay, another edit. (Yes I enjoy edits.) Anyways, 2D gives me at least 16(11) FPS. Now, I don't know what that means, but I swear that it looks like it's going as fast as my 25 FPS. WTF?

Edit x5: On my ever continuing quest to make .04 decent runnable on my PoS computer, I've found that 2DSW gives the same as 2D. Onwards!

Edit x6: Last edit probably. All the 2D's give comparable stats, so I'm just going to stick with vanilla 2D, at least until someone tells me what the Buffers and VBO do. Also, I still don't understand how this game can be changed to 2D...what is it if not 2D?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:00:15 am by FuzzyDoom »
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Corbald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:10 am »

DF has two different definitions of 2D and 3D. The old school 2D vs. 3D meant back when DF only had the one z-level, Toady later added '3D' or multiple z-levels. The current 2D vs. 3D is about what method is used to draw the screen. With 2D, it's the CPU that's doing all the graphical calculations and having to share it's processing power with both drawing, and things like path finding. 3D shunts all the graphical stuff off to your graphics card, leaving the CPU to do the logic side of things without being dragged down with all that "Where the hell does this pixel go?" BS.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:31 am »

Okay, that means that 2D is for me since I don't have a Graphics Card. BTW, tried the Buffers, no difference for me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:29:25 am by FuzzyDoom »
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 02, 2010, 02:23:10 am »

They make computers without graphics cards still?  Blast from the past, man.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 55