Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1987035 times)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.18] [V7.0] With Graphical User Interface!
« Reply #630 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:19 pm »

This thread is important enough to be censored but not important enough to be stickied?  I am disappointed.  Most helpful thread on the entire DF subforum.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 17, 2011, 10:00:32 pm »

*insert witty signature here*

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 18, 2011, 02:22:40 am »

Its already listed in "Additional Downloads" along with installation instructions. It's not included because it would add an extra 100mb or so to the download.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 18, 2011, 07:49:47 am »

Actually... zwei has really trimmed down the program portion of SoundSense and the package now takes up slightly over 500 Kilobytes. It's the separate download of the Sound Pack which is a whopping 135 Megabytes! (And like some monster B movie series, it's growing with every new release!)

zwei and others have discussed the idea of asking you if the program portion of SoundSense could be included in LNP. It would not make the LNP package much larger, while it would save a lot of SoundSense users (particularly newbies) some installation headaches. Of course, they would still need to download and install the Sound Pack, but that part of installation is the easy part.

Personally, I am divided on the issue. Not all LNP users will bother to download the Sound Pack or use SoundSense. And I think there are ways of simplifying the installation without having it included in LNP.
...But I do see their point.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 18, 2011, 09:58:55 am »

I removed the latest fight back some posts.  Please don't derail the thread.  I don't want to contribute to that, so please don't reply to this (I won't reply), but on the subject of version numbering, 0.31 referred at the time to 31 of the specific dev 100 core items being finished.  Then we changed dev systems and the version number was on hold for a while.  Now it refers to being 0% complete done with a new list that counts for 0.69 of the version number, but the new slightly unsettled list pretty much corresponds to the old core items, so it's not much of a change.
Cool, thanks for the info!
Actually... zwei has really trimmed down the program portion of SoundSense and the package now takes up slightly over 500 Kilobytes. It's the separate download of the Sound Pack which is a whopping 135 Megabytes! (And like some monster B movie series, it's growing with every new release!)

zwei and others have discussed the idea of asking you if the program portion of SoundSense could be included in LNP. It would not make the LNP package much larger, while it would save a lot of SoundSense users (particularly newbies) some installation headaches. Of course, they would still need to download and install the Sound Pack, but that part of installation is the easy part.

Personally, I am divided on the issue. Not all LNP users will bother to download the Sound Pack or use SoundSense. And I think there are ways of simplifying the installation without having it included in LNP.
...But I do see their point.
We could do that. Next release though, as it's just tedious to do 2 versions the same week.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 18, 2011, 11:52:02 am »

I'd say wait until 31.20 or 31.21, or whenever the new version gets the bugfixing done, then go all out on a new version of the pack. I don't think there is much point in doing one for 31.19 when it has some major bugs that will likely be resolved soonish, just like there wasn't much point in doing one for 31.17.

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 18, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »

Hey sorry to interupt any Dwarf Fortess Elite out there but after the new update was put out i have been using that one, anyways i was just wondering how you put it so you can see liquid depts for i have googled and searched dwarf fortess but the only thing i have found was a heap of text about farming and other related things.
anyways hope i get an awser soon.

Man the people on this game like writing about stuff( in a good way)
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 18, 2011, 12:46:59 pm »

either init.txt or d_init.txt in your data>init files. there should be a tag "SHOW_FLOW_AMMOUNTS". set it to "yes"
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

TheIcelandicManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 18, 2011, 12:49:47 pm »

either init.txt or d_init.txt in your data>init files. there should be a tag "SHOW_FLOW_AMMOUNTS". set it to "yes"

Thanks alot, i have been loking around for 2 days now. :D
Urist McHappy has entered a fit of euphoria!
Urist McHappy hugs the Fish Cleaner in the upper body, jamming his love through the brain and warming his callous heart!
The Fish Cleaner has been taught the value of friendship!
Sigged

steampvnc1880

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:39 pm »

When i tried to run DF from the GUI my copy of AVG called it a malware. Four Box Severity. Wat Do?

Maybe because it doesnt like an executable activating an executable?

File name: E:\GAMES\DWARF FORTRESS LAZY NEWB PACK\LAZY NEWB PACK[0.31.18][V7.0]\DWARF FORTRESS 0.31.18\DWARF FORTRESS.EXE
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:20:34 pm by steampvnc1880 »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 18, 2011, 06:35:58 pm »

Probably just a false alarm. Put it on your whitelist so it ignores the exe.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 18, 2011, 10:12:06 pm »

I'd say wait until 31.20 or 31.21, or whenever the new version gets the bugfixing done, then go all out on a new version of the pack. I don't think there is much point in doing one for 31.19 when it has some major bugs that will likely be resolved soonish, just like there wasn't much point in doing one for 31.17.

I agree. Even after all the major bugs and game balance issues are resolved (which should be soonish), it will be a while before many of the utilities and mods catch up. To be fair, the Ironhand and Phoebus graphics sets are already updated. And Mike posted that he will be updating the Mayday set this weekend. Still, I'm not sure there's much point in switching to a new LNP until a new DFhack is released with new memory offsets and at least partial .19+ support.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:16:23 pm by Thundercraft »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 18, 2011, 11:20:28 pm »

When i tried to run DF from the GUI my copy of AVG called it a malware. Four Box Severity. Wat Do?

Maybe because it doesnt like an executable activating an executable?

File name: E:\GAMES\DWARF FORTRESS LAZY NEWB PACK\LAZY NEWB PACK[0.31.18][V7.0]\DWARF FORTRESS 0.31.18\DWARF FORTRESS.EXE

Weird. It happens when you try to run Dwarf Fortress? Does it happen if you try to run any other utility from LNP?
Right now LNP opens other programs by creating a batch file which will open the target program in its root directory, rather then from the directory Lazy Newb Pack.exe is in. Its a bit weird so maybe AVG thinks its suspicious? There's probably an easier way to do it, but I've yet to figure it out :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:27:37 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 19, 2011, 08:34:53 am »

I like LNP, and LNP(31.16) got me into the game. I want to comment on the new GUI:

Having all options in one place is more convenient than editing init files, but I got used to them, and after initial reading through all options I can quickly find what I want to change, so no big deal for me. Good work with tooltips for all buttons, but IMO they are a bit too funny / confusing rather than boring / informative for someone new to the game.

When I select nothing in Utilities tab, and click "run program" I get this:

************** Tekst wyjątku **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Indeks wykraczał poza granice tablicy.
   w System.Array.InternalGetReference(Void* elemRef, Int32 rank, Int32* pIndices)
   w System.Array.GetValue(Int32 index)
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.GetArrayValue(Object[] Indices)
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.InternalLateIndexGet(Object Instance, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Boolean ReportErrors, ResolutionFailure& Failure)
   w Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateIndexGet(Object Instance, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames)
   w LazyNewbPack.MainForm.RunSelectedUtility()
   w LazyNewbPack.MainForm.RunProgramButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   w System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm running PL version of Windows. This says "exception: index outside of array", and I'm sure you can easilly fix this.

Installing NET 3.5 was somewhat annoying, but maybe it will be usefull for other programs, so no big deal.

IMO Population / child cap would be better with label + textbox rather than poping edit boxes, that I have to edit, and click OK. You already have something like that for FPS and GFPS.

There is no obvious "save inits" button, but it seems to save after each change.

No option to change print mode.

Two panel init files editor is usefull, especially when maximized.

Overall I like LNP for having DF + graphic pack + Therapist + DF Hack, but central GUI is not so important for me. I'm not writing this to criticize LNP, just to give you some feedback.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 19, 2011, 09:45:50 am »

Having all options in one place is more convenient than editing init files, but I got used to them, and after initial reading through all options I can quickly find what I want to change, so no big deal for me. Good work with tooltips for all buttons, but IMO they are a bit too funny / confusing rather than boring / informative for someone new to the game.
Eh, we should put a disclaimer up  :P

When I select nothing in Utilities tab, and click "run program" I get this:
*PROBLEM*
I'm running PL version of Windows. This says "exception: index outside of array", and I'm sure you can easilly fix this.
This shall be addressed.

Installing NET 3.5 was somewhat annoying, but maybe it will be usefull for other programs, so no big deal.
Yeah can't get around that...

IMO Population / child cap would be better with label + textbox rather than poping edit boxes, that I have to edit, and click OK. You already have something like that for FPS and GFPS.
I kinda fits with the rest of them but we could do that.

There is no obvious "save inits" button, but it seems to save after each change.
Yes it does, that should be clearer.

No option to change print mode.
TrueType? Yeah we'll add that in

Overall I like LNP for having DF + graphic pack + Therapist + DF Hack, but central GUI is not so important for me. I'm not writing this to criticize LNP, just to give you some feedback.
thank you. replies are in bold
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 137