Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127934 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »

I would just like to say that this was released on my birthday. Dang.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:01 am »

I think I should rename my fort to Macondo. Completely cut off from Dwarven civilization, it's been 16 years and nobody has died, most of the population are children, and everyone here is kind of crazy.

If you don't get it, then do yourself a favor and DON'T read a book called One Hundred Years of Solitude.  :-X
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:12 am »

I was experimenting with Magma(as any self respecting dwarf) in arena mode. here are my findings. It seems that when you dump any non-undead living thing(except dragons, magma men) into magma it evaporates instantly. However if its dead when it comes to contact with magma, the carcass seems to last considerably longer. for example an elk carcass( form testing combat mechanics) was floating in magma for good 15 sec before it burned up completely. Other dead bodies and severed parts display similar increased heat resistance. they all however eventually burn up. The same goes for carcases and severed parts of zombie/skeletal versions of any creature. However if you dump a living undead ( this doesnt seem right, should i say moving undead?? ???) into magma it is all but impervious to heat. The skin, fat, eventually the muscles will all burn out and you are left with charred skeletal remains( on fire) but the creature is still alive
functioning, even after 20 minutes of swim in magma. There seems to be missing a heat damage flag from undead's bones or something. Like i said, once its dead has been struck down, the remains burn up nicely.
Just my observations.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:07 am »

I posted similar stuff here. Basically, corpses never actually catch fire, but seem to heat up enough to get damaged.

Also, I've never witnessed any tissue burning away, on zombies or otherwise. I'm pretty sure that heat damage can never fully destroy a tissue. Any time you're damaging tissue bit by bit, you can never fully destroy it, examples including this, as well as eye-gouging (you can gouge an eye as many times as you want, it'll stay), damaging attacks in general (shatter something's skull or a colossus' toe as many times as you want, it'll never be destroyed), etc.

This causes zombies to wind up being eternal flames, since they don't need blood or anything to live; they just need to remain intact.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2010, 12:11:50 pm »

So that's why I never found Rachel's body after that terrible forest fire.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2010, 12:15:04 pm »

I have both the Linux and Windows SDL version and both run fine but for some reason with the windows version I cannot do capital letters.  Like for example shift+p for pull lever.  I have tried to change the key bindings and no such luck.  Anyone else have this problem or have a clue where in the key bindings I need to look to change it?

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »

very interesting. Your post has prompted my to actually test if any body parts catch fire, and i have ended up with some weird results. It seems nothing actually catches fire while immersed in magma. i have set the damage, liquid and boiling point of default bone template to 1000 (extremely low). Normal creature upon creation immediately catches fire( if just placed on solid ground) and completely burns out within 2 sec. Skeleton dropped in water (if dropped on solid gound just burns forever) catches on fire and burns for about 5 sec, and then his bones liquify (legs, head, lower body etc etc. ) but still stays alive somehow and shows all body parts missing, but is still mobile and can walk around, even ettack other creatures. Its like he has some invisible spirit holding his being together. Similar results are observed with zombies. If left on solid ground eventullay burn to their bare bones. However(!) if dropped in water, their bones quickly liquify and the zombie is left with rotting outer shell ( skin, sinew, muscle) without any bones inside them ( they evaporated). Still fully functional and mobile. If killed (either zombie or skeleton) on open air, their remains quickly evaporate. As i said these tests are done with modified raws with bones evaporating on open air, but it shows that undead are somehow exempted from tissue damage that normally damages other creatures.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2010, 01:19:50 pm »

Damn see thats the kinda bugs that make the game unplayable.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »

See that's why Toady added a temporary fix back in .03 - undead have an invisible "HP" bar so they die when hit enough times. Just that heat damage from magma or anything else doesn't chip away at their HP and other inorganics don't even have an HP bar to begin with. Just means you shouldn't rely on Boatmurdered tactics to deal with zombie invasions, old fashioned axes and hammers still get the job done against undead.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2010, 02:59:56 pm »

Wait...
...since when does the main screen have date in the top right corner? I've never noticed it behind the idlers bar. That's amazing! I had an unhealthy tendency to check the date each minute or two. Just let me move the idlers...

EDIT: Damn, false alarm and false hope. Curse you, non-updating partial print tiles!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:03:48 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2010, 05:56:46 pm »

It does make sense for things dropped into magma to not burn.  Oxygen is required for combustion, and while an item is immersed in anything denser than air it will not be available for combustion.  Whether Toady did that intentionally or by happy mistake it is still good.

Burning in water is a little bit different (modified raw test by Torham).  Some elemental reactions (sodium, potasium, clorine) with water are sufficiently exothermic that they cause the hydrogen and oxygen bonds in the water to break.  This happens because of both heat and electrolisys.  If there is sufficient energy an explosive reaction can occur.  Again whether Toady modelled this intentionally or by accident; the rapid liquifying seems pretty close to what should happen for a chemical based reaction.  The zombies should have exploded into gore, and skeletal undead should just make a mess.

Heat and cold damages not affecting/killing undead ceatures is still a bug that should be corrected.

Damn see thats the kinda bugs that make the game unplayable.
Your opinion is interesting; however not in any useful way.  For the game to be "unplayable" it would have to crash at launch, have no display, not accept any user input, etc.  The current combat bugs can make things very difficult when you encounter them.  All of them are avoidable if you wish to play with out getting into fights.  Many cause some creatures to be immune to some attacks, this is GOOD thing.  Being able to kill everything with a single tactic is dull.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 22, 2010, 06:02:27 pm »

It does make sense for things dropped into magma to not burn.

Dropped in magma != submerged in magma.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 22, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »

It does make sense for things dropped into magma to not burn.  Oxygen is required for combustion, and while an item is immersed in anything denser than air it will not be available for combustion.  Whether Toady did that intentionally or by happy mistake it is still good.

Things dropped in magma do burn. You just don't notice it with living creatures very often, because most of them die long before that happens.

Heat and cold damages not affecting/killing undead ceatures is still a bug that should be corrected.

It's part of a much larger problem related to living creatures and other forms of damage as well, but I've explained that stuff enough times by now.

Your opinion is interesting; however not in any useful way.  For the game to be "unplayable" it would have to crash at launch, have no display, not accept any user input, etc.  The current combat bugs can make things very difficult when you encounter them.  All of them are avoidable if you wish to play with out getting into fights.  Many cause some creatures to be immune to some attacks, this is GOOD thing.  Being able to kill everything with a single tactic is dull.

I do not consider it "a good thing" for severe bugs to crop up that happen to make creatures invincible for no good reason. And yes, those bugs/issues affect combat elsewhere as well. Damn near everywhere else, in fact.

And seriously, playing DF without getting into any combat situations is hardly DF at all, and with the new caverns, it's hardly even plausible.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 22, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

It does make sense for things dropped into magma to not burn.

Dropped in magma != submerged in magma.
Items don't float in fluids yet.  Creatures sometimes realize they can float; but sudden death by immolation tends to preclude that in magma.  I recall in some version past I dropped some coal into my refuse disposal.  I was quite irritated that it was pumping smoke into my fortress for a whole season despite having 2 levels of magma above it.  I haven't tested that with this version, but anyway.

G-Flex, I agree with you.  It is tough to avoid combat completely and makes the game rather dull.  I think we all hoped there would be fewer combat related bugs after reading all the various tests Toady did before releasing 0.31.01.

Small clarification on what I said earlier.
Good idea: some creatures to be immune to some attacks.
Bad idea: for severe bugs to crop up that happen to make creatures invincible for no good reason.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 22, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »

I'm trying to play on linux mint but every time I run it nothing happens. If I run in the terminal I get "./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". I checked, I have a package called libncursesw5 installed.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 37