Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!  (Read 17153 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:58:32 pm »

Hey all,

This tool was inspired by, and will become a part of the Lazy Newb pack.  It's purpose is to create an easy to change settings screen for DF to change various options in init files, a few hacks/mods, and swap tilesets.

Please offer suggestions that would be great for this!

Very early version 1.6 of DFConfig.

File on DFFD: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2563

How to Use:
Unzip and place the files and folders in the folder with the Dwarf Fortress .exe

Features:
  • Easy tileset swapping! (including ability to easily add other tilesets)
  • Change Invaders/CaveIns/Economy/Temperature/Weather easily
  • Alter Population/Child caps
  • Turn on/off visible liquid depths.
  • Turn on/off Aquifers in newly generated worlds. (See Note2)
  • Remove [PET_EXOTIC] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tags, so that a Dungeon Master isn't required for training many animals.
  • Add option to use default or Laptop keybinds.
  • Moving the DFConfig.exe and DFConfig.txt files to a new DF version and running DFConfig.exe will automatically set your saved settings.

Notice::
  • This doesn't read your settings.  On first load it'll set your settings to the default (all on), all changes you make will be saved.
  • If you've applied the LazyNewbPack (V2.0) no aquifers patch, use their process to remove it or this tool won't work for editing aquifers
  • The settings which are not universal (mods, tilesets) won't apply to savegames.  New worldgens are required for them to take effect.
  • changing tilesets will blank your settings (for now), so apply tileset first, or apply tileset then cycle through the settings.  This will be fixed in a release soon.

Planned Features:
  • Read your settings on first run
  • Additional Options:
    • Colors

Credits
In setting up a tileset changer I added some default tilesets, below are links and credits to the creators of those tilesets.  I had nothing at all to do with their creation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:46:38 pm by Mason11987 »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: DFConfig - New Convenience Tool - Suggestions Needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:31 pm »

Personally I dont find adjusting the init very diffucult at all, but if included with the 'lazy newb pack' this could be of some use.

As for suggestions, you could include a population cap regulator and a child cap regulator. Some display stuff like displaying water height as numbers could also be useful. And theres colors, you could add in a preview of a set of colors or something.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:28:16 pm »

I would use that, and may I suggest a save configuration option? I really get tired of having to redo everything in the init file every time I switch versions.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 04:37:28 pm »

Personally I dont find adjusting the init very diffucult at all, but if included with the 'lazy newb pack' this could be of some use.

As for suggestions, you could include a population cap regulator and a child cap regulator. Some display stuff like displaying water height as numbers could also be useful. And theres colors, you could add in a preview of a set of colors or something.

I don't find it difficult either, but after I set this up I would love to be able to just drop the exe in the DF folder, open it and turn on settings and off settings when I get a new version.

Great suggestions  Those will be in.  Colors would be cool too, I haven't messed with those but I could see a preview being really helpful for those.

I would use that, and may I suggest a save configuration option? I really get tired of having to redo everything in the init file every time I switch versions.

Yes, definitely a save config option.  That is, for myself, the main use for this.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »

This is EXCELLENT!
I would even pack this into Lazy Newb Pack.
A suggestion would be:
Remove/Add aquifers
(assuming you can do a Find and Replace on [AQUIFER] into AQUIFER or -AQUIFER- (something which lets you easily find and replace aquifers BACK!) on existing raw files, instead of replacing the entire file, this would remove concerns on tileset/mod compatibility!)
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »

This is EXCELLENT!
I would even pack this into Lazy Newb Pack.
A suggestion would be:
Remove/Add aquifers
(assuming you can do a Find and Replace on [AQUIFER] into AQUIFER or -AQUIFER- (something which lets you easily find and replace aquifers BACK!) on existing raw files, instead of replacing the entire file, this would remove concerns on tileset/mod compatibility!)

First stab at setting up something:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2563

Awesome idea for Aquifer.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:01 pm »

Nice. Tested it and it all works for me!

If its easy enough, try detecting the current settings instead of assuming the defaults.
For Aquifers, this would be as easy as, if it finds a SINGLE [AQUIFER] tag, it assumes it is ON, and if it doesn't, OFF
Also for the aquifer thing, don't find/replace to just AQUIFER. that could cause some problems (it finds the word "AQUIFER" out of context and gives it brackets, or tries to turn "on" aquifers in a file where they are already on, and adds additional brackets.) So yeah, try -AQUIFER- or AQUIFOFF or something unique (silly) like that.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 06:42:41 pm »

Nice. Tested it and it all works for me!

If its easy enough, try detecting the current settings instead of assuming the defaults.
For Aquifers, this would be as easy as, if it finds a SINGLE [AQUIFER] tag, it assumes it is ON, and if it doesn't, OFF
Also for the aquifer thing, don't find/replace to just AQUIFER. that could cause some problems (it finds the word "AQUIFER" out of context and gives it brackets, or tries to turn "on" aquifers in a file where they are already on, and adds additional brackets.) So yeah, try -AQUIFER- or AQUIFOFF or something unique (silly) like that.

Finding default settings makes sense of course, that's on the list.  I added aquifer changing support as well.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: DFConfig - Suggestions Needed!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 07:37:31 pm »

Aha great. Changing ['s to { is simple enough. I've double checked, and the files seem to be changed and changed back correctly, and I wasn't able to find any aquifers in a new worldgen.
Once you have a build you're happy with, I'll pack this into a new LNP if you're okay with that. If you'd rather me just link here that's fine too (I'll start doing that now actually).
Woohoo! No more ugly primitive folder dragging!

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »

Aha great. Changing ['s to { is simple enough. I've double checked, and the files seem to be changed and changed back correctly, and I wasn't able to find any aquifers in a new worldgen.
Once you have a build you're happy with, I'll pack this into a new LNP if you're okay with that. If you'd rather me just link here that's fine too (I'll start doing that now actually).
Woohoo! No more ugly primitive folder dragging!

Awesome, thanks for the link.  I set it up to add/remove the "exotic" pet/mount tags as well.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 09:20:23 pm »

Nice! Poor madk.
I was going to ask if you remembered to change them to [PET] [MOUNT] and have a way to change them BACK, but you already have the EXACT solution I was thinking of. Bravo!

It's not necessary, but a different sort of organization of buttons might be an idea. Its getting to be an awfully long list of buttons. Even if its just a bit of a space between certain groupings, multiple rows, or text headings.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58797.msg1310395#msg1310395

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 09:29:31 pm »

Nice! Poor madk.
I was going to ask if you remembered to change them to [PET] [MOUNT] and have a way to change them BACK, but you already have the EXACT solution I was thinking of. Bravo!

It's not necessary, but a different sort of organization of buttons might be an idea. Its getting to be an awfully long list of buttons. Even if its just a bit of a space between certain groupings, multiple rows, or text headings.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58797.msg1310395#msg1310395

Yeah, madk gave me the idea for the pets/mounts because.

I didn't realize xnrad had basically already did what I'm doing.  I'm looking to add more difficult to edit options (exotic pet/aquifers/ect) and specifically not duplicate what he did.  I think I'll just add frequently changed options.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 10:25:02 pm »

Sorry, I forgot to put some text before xnrad's link!

I was going to say that you don't want to add too many options or yeah, you'll end up duplicating what he's done,
but that your version is much better if you keep it as simple as it currently is.
people don't want to look at 500 in a messy UI :P. Its not much easier then going in with Notepad.
I wouldn't want to (and didn't) include his utility for that reason. (also its out of date with a few init changes).

Your idea to keep it about the most frequently used and important stuff is a good one.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:30:12 pm by LucasUP »

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 05:05:20 am »

^.^ awesome, now all we need is a world-gen editor. >.>

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile