Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569436 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1935 on: November 11, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »

About 10 seconds ago.
what does that mean?

It means nothing. Nothing at all. Disregard it. Whatever you do, don't refresh the main page.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 11, 2010, 06:43:32 pm »

So has anyone found out what "Burial is now more encouraged in dwarf mode" meant?

What happens?

Sounds like the corpses might come back to life as zombies like they used to.

Sounds yes, but I'd like to know for sure. Has anyone here had experience yet?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 11, 2010, 06:50:46 pm »

Also, I'm kind of annoyed.  The newest version likes to move twice for every button press, which leads to a lot of really annoying issues like trying to pick up items or go in small rooms.  Also, sometimes I'll stab someone and and when I go to pull it out I'll pull it out and immediately attack again, which disorients me a bit because I can't tell I pulled the sword out.

I had this problem once, try increasing [KEY_REPEAT_MS:150] in init.txt.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 11, 2010, 06:53:36 pm »

Boogymen and night creatures are very difficult. I love this. It makes you actually want to have followers who are not just meat-shields.

Also, when playing around in the arena, it seems that elves are now represented by "e". (as apposed to "E") Is there a reason for this? Not that I dislike the change.
As stated in the update post, It's because they are small.

Does that mean small as compared to humans (like Santa's elves), or small compared to dragons, colossi, and the like?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1939 on: November 11, 2010, 06:55:24 pm »

Boogymen and night creatures are very difficult. I love this. It makes you actually want to have followers who are not just meat-shields.

Also, when playing around in the arena, it seems that elves are now represented by "e". (as apposed to "E") Is there a reason for this? Not that I dislike the change.

Does that mean small as compared to humans (like Santa's elves), or small compared to dragons, colossi, and the like?
I think it's more compared to elephants really.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 11, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »

I just want to say - Thank God my exams finished yesterday.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 11, 2010, 07:17:13 pm »

I like how the minotaurs yell taunts in their maze. I've been able to get by pretty easily thanks to a massive army of followers. We just totally gank anything that gets in our way. The aimed shots and new wrestling interface  work great as well.

I was less lucky. I just turned around a corner, quickly followed by my 13 companions. Then the minotaur charged me, and before I could do anything, I had both my hands and my lower legs cut off.
I then proceeded to bleed to death in one round, quickly followed by my 13 companions.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1942 on: November 11, 2010, 07:36:05 pm »

I like how the minotaurs yell taunts in their maze. I've been able to get by pretty easily thanks to a massive army of followers. We just totally gank anything that gets in our way. The aimed shots and new wrestling interface  work great as well.

I was less lucky. I just turned around a corner, quickly followed by my 13 companions. Then the minotaur charged me, and before I could do anything, I had both my hands and my lower legs cut off.
I then proceeded to bleed to death in one round, quickly followed by my 13 companions.

Yeah, minotaur seems a bit overpowered right now. I survived him thanks to my companions (I caught a good halberd blow to the chest and dragged myself off while they finally forced him to collapse in exhaustion, though not before he amputated a few people.) The dragon was pretty pathetic, but died so slowly that it managed to bite the hands of one of my swordsmen before said swordsman somehow killed it with a bite.

Also, has anyone been fast traveling and gotten the message "You Feel Uneasy", been tossed down to the normal screen and then just been able to leave?  Seems weird.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:22 pm »

It's the elves new tile to indicate a soldier.  Humans also have an accented U to indicate their soldiers.   Goblins don't appear to have a special tile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 11, 2010, 07:46:40 pm »

Bogeymen are creepy as fuck, they just keep spawning until dawn me thinks. I had an elf and I kept outrunning them but they just kept showing up over and over. I'd have fought them but my derp elf swordsman spawned with a rubber wood sword.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1945 on: November 11, 2010, 07:52:54 pm »

Is it just me or do none of the NPC's have families? I've talked to like 10 people and none of them have any family to speak of. Weird. I've only tried people in castles though.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 11, 2010, 07:54:40 pm »

Anyone else getting an oddity in the errorlog?  Something about dragons missing toes, having no bodypart associated with their bite and not understanding their eye color?  Or is it just me?

EDIT: I mean, I usually modify the default dragon entry myself anyway, but... I haven't done anything with it yet...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 07:57:49 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 11, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »

It seems all settlements apart from human ones are now gone, probably due to the site sprawl not being ready for them. I can't find any fortresses or towers, and no elven settlements at all.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #1948 on: November 11, 2010, 08:24:05 pm »

Quote from: piecewise

Yeah, minotaur seems a bit overpowered right now. I survived him thanks to my companions (I caught a good halberd blow to the chest and dragged myself off while they finally forced him to collapse in exhaustion, though not before he amputated a few people.) The dragon was pretty pathetic, but died so slowly that it managed to bite the hands of one of my swordsmen before said swordsman somehow killed it with a bite.

Also, has anyone been fast traveling and gotten the message "You Feel Uneasy", been tossed down to the normal screen and then just been able to leave?  Seems weird.
It's a warning that your about to be ambushed if you hang around for a few moments. I think the chances of getting that instead of a normal attack depend on the overall strength of the ambush (Quality*Quantity) and a couple of rarely attributes. So you either somehow powerleveled observer, or you need to get the hell out of there and don't look back.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »

Not necessarily. I got ambushed by a cheetah and received the "you feel uneasy" message. The cat was pretty easily dispatched.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 342