Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572369 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #330 on: July 13, 2010, 08:41:07 am »

Quick question on some weapon assignments:

If a dwarf has the personality trait 'likes maces' and he arrives (spawns) with some military skills, will he be a macedwarf or have skill in maces?   Or will he spawn as 'likes maces,' arrive as a pikedwarf, and when assigned 'individual choice, melee,' he'll go and pick up a sword?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #331 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:10 am »

Regarding the "farming improvements" goals, how much detail is currently planned for tracking soil quality?

A completely accurate model would probably be a lot of effort/information with little to gain from it, though enough detail to properly encourage crop rotation seems like something that should make it in eventually.

I suggest a simple 3 number system: sand/clay/organics, your basic soil classification. Sandy soils could be good for glass, clay soils could prevent/slow water from evaporating and be used in any future ceramics, and organics could provide nutrition for crops (and be what is gained from applying fertilizer).

A balance, leaning to organics would be good for farming, and would easily allow for things like nutrient depletion, desertification, etc. Since extremely fine details aren't necessary, you could stuff it all in a byte, for those that are space conscious.

Crop rotation could be used with one of two mechanisms: either a crop reduces organics, or adds to organics (you'd want to alternate, esp if each had a range of preference (if it reduces, it likes lots, if it adds, it likes little). Or the second, where a crop could convert organics to clay thus slowly ruining the soil.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 13, 2010, 11:32:36 am »

I suggest a simple 3 number system: sand/clay/organics, your basic soil classification. Sandy soils could be good for glass, clay soils could prevent/slow water from evaporating and be used in any future ceramics, and organics could provide nutrition for crops (and be what is gained from applying fertilizer).

We've already got these soil types, if you weren't already aware. The soil types in DF are pretty much pulled straight from a chart of such classifications.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #333 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:45 pm »

We've already got these soil types, if you weren't already aware. The soil types in DF are pretty much pulled straight from a chart of such classifications.

As distinct, non-interactive units. I propose one "soil", with a flexible scheme to classify it, and to interact with other game components such as farming.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Syff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 13, 2010, 01:43:13 pm »

My understanding of the subject (which I'll admit comes mostly from reading about it online) is that the soil type has more to do with how well the elements plants need are retained in the soil than the quantities of those elements, and that different plants are more taxing on some elements than others.

Classifying the texture of the soil sounds to me like it'd probably be better off left in the raws for each soil type, at least for now, as it seems less likely to change significantly than the content of the soil.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 13, 2010, 02:50:35 pm »

-snip- Since extremely fine details aren't necessary -snip-

excuse me but I believe there is nothing wrong with going overboard with any aspect.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 13, 2010, 05:21:21 pm »

Making the soil more complex is good for the biomes - some plants dont like loam or soil that is acidic to some degree thus a more realistic soil opens the path to a more realistic plant-life.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 13, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »

Do any of the mental skills do anything yet, or are they all flavory placeholders for now?

Spatial sense and kinesthetic sense seem like they could potentially affect certain combat rolls, for instance.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 14, 2010, 08:59:21 am »

Do you plan to implement proper universe simulation with stellar system, other stars, galaxies and other celestial bodies?
Its a bit weird that game has no reference to the system's star, or even sky at all. In Earth cultures Sun always had central place, often being associated with 'higher' gods.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 14, 2010, 09:02:57 am »

well, dwarves vomit when they see the sun, i doubt they'd worship it

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 14, 2010, 09:06:55 am »

well, dwarves vomit when they see the sun
Thats a good definition of evil god, I believe.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 14, 2010, 10:38:07 am »

well, dwarves vomit when they see the sun
Thats a good definition of evil god, I believe.
Dwarves don't really hit me as the kind of guys that think something as a god just because it helps or hurts them.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2010, 11:49:04 am »

Indeed. If they have a god of blood, they might as well have a god of vomit, and what better avatar than the sun?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #343 on: July 14, 2010, 01:17:49 pm »

What of sunshine then?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:13 pm »

the only drink that can make a dwarf drunk enough to puke, that's why they call it that
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 342