Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569344 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1800 on: November 09, 2010, 12:40:50 am »

This update will make adventure mode playable... and I take it that the sprawl build for villages is out...

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before... Are all civ's affected by the new castles or just humans?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: November 09, 2010, 01:49:46 am »

Just humans. The other civs will be worked on later.

And the sprawl is still in. It just has more stuff in it now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:17 am »

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before... Are all civ's affected by the new castles or just humans?
Just humans. The other civs will be worked on later.

Yep, here's the quote on it:

Quote from: Mephansteras
Are castles just a human-only thing right now? Will other races be getting interesting places soon?

I'm not sure exactly when the other races will get their stuffs.  The obstacle for the elves is making giant trees and the obstacle for dwarves is making it generate a dwarf fortress.  We'll just have to start it some time, but it might coincide with the fortress starting scenario stuff about entity pops associated to your fort since that will further specify how dwarf sprawl is going to relate to its surroundings.

In general, if you think a question may have been answered recently, Ctrl+F'ing the first page of Toady's recent posts is a good place to start.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 09, 2010, 07:10:16 am »

Quote from: Toady devlog
The word spread around, and even the Tick of Constructs respected us for our heroic acts.

This was a very interesting comment, Toady, please expand on it. Can your heroic reputation affect how hostile civilizations treat you?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1804 on: November 09, 2010, 12:53:28 pm »

Darn, I was hoping the new version would release before I had to go off to school and sit around for hours on end. Oh well.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: November 09, 2010, 02:15:32 pm »

Cheesemakers around the world want to know: will the companion display include a way to dismiss companions?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »

Darn, I was hoping the new version would release before I had to go off to school and sit around for hours on end. Oh well.

Don't fool yourself... there's always time for ADVENTURE :D
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 09, 2010, 04:56:07 pm »

Just to sum myself up, the most crippling things that I really want fixed in dwarf mode:

1) Soldiers only equipping 1 boot or glove and getting their other unarmored limb injured/severed in battle, screwing up even the strongest soldiers (Toady said he wanted to fix it but couldn't reproduce, it happens to me really often ESPECIALLY when auto-upgrading equipment to ones of better quality)
2) Healthcare borking up and causing dwarves to never get their injuries healed, then dying of infection
3) Armor needs more randomness

it's not farfetched to say that the two first have prevented me from playing a serious fort in months. They're not THAT big bugs, but when it does happen, it is annoying as hell. And they will happen in long term forts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 04:58:48 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 09, 2010, 05:50:46 pm »

Just to sum myself up, the most crippling things that I really want fixed in dwarf mode:

1) Soldiers only equipping 1 boot or glove and getting their other unarmored limb injured/severed in battle, screwing up even the strongest soldiers (Toady said he wanted to fix it but couldn't reproduce, it happens to me really often ESPECIALLY when auto-upgrading equipment to ones of better quality)
2) Healthcare borking up and causing dwarves to never get their injuries healed, then dying of infection

I encountered both of these in my current fort.  I think I fixed the first one by ordering them to wear two of each duplicate item.

The second one has led to my expedition leader running around with bones sticking out of one of his arms for about 5 years.  He was infected, but he lived through it and it went away.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 09, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

I encountered both of these in my current fort.  I think I fixed the first one by ordering them to wear two of each duplicate item.

The second one has led to my expedition leader running around with bones sticking out of one of his arms for about 5 years.  He was infected, but he lived through it and it went away.

Putting duplicates sometimes helped for me but most of the time not. You got lucky with that :P To me it's usually like

"I'm Urist, a legendary champion axedwarf with adamantine armor and a record of unbeatability."
"I will now fight that goblin."
"I got my leg nerve slashed? How is this possible? Oh, I forgot to put on my boot. Let's spend the rest of my life in bed because of this bug and waste a perfect soldier."
*fort dies to invaders a month later due to best soldiers in bedrest from unarmored limb injuries*
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:34:49 pm by Orkel »
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 09, 2010, 06:48:54 pm »

Between the new health care system and the new health care system, I still think fewer dwarves are dying from battle-related injuries per battle than in 40d.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 09, 2010, 07:22:59 pm »

Will the numerous rock types eventually each have some sort of use, or do you plan on keeping them as they are now, with most of them being fairly identical.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: November 09, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »

Between the new health care system and the new health care system, I still think fewer dwarves are dying from battle-related injuries per battle than in 40d.

any worthwhile combat injury in 40d meant death no matter what...even if you have an extremely small chance of survival with hospitals....the chance is still there...I also personally like the idea of being able to send my legendary fighters into retirement when they get an untimely injury...spose that means I care WAY too much about my lil peoples

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:59 pm »

Will the numerous rock types eventually each have some sort of use, or do you plan on keeping them as they are now, with most of them being fairly identical.
The raws alude to this with some of the notes that are found next to them for their direct influence on gameplay. Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) for fertilizer, presumably the peat soil layer being used as a fuel, etc.

What would really influence how useful actual layer rocks (not mineral rocks) are is the implementation of damagable items; because then you could for instance have a reaction that creates a shield made of stone, and then the actual physical traits of that stone would influence when it would break under what force or impact... Or those damn obsidian short swords would actually break when it hits metal armor (or bones... made of metal)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: November 10, 2010, 02:52:09 am »

I believe that this bug has been found to be caused by the fact that dwarves always try to wear the two highest quality gloves, whether or not one is right and the other left. They will therefore claim both but only put on one. The current solution for this bug is to make sure that each quality level has gauntlets such that every right gauntlet in that level has a corresponding left one.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 342