Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572149 times)

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1815 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:59 am »

More main page updates please toady! I'm having DF withdrawl :( Reading your updates are awesome, so addictively awesome..
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: November 10, 2010, 11:43:25 am »

for the two left glove issue (in my case they would only wear one at a time) you do know you can go into the military equip screen and assign them specific pieces of equipment right?

The easiest way to do this is to assign each dwarf one set at a time...let them grab it then assign the next dwarf there set etc....extra micromanagement but it works for me...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1817 on: November 10, 2010, 11:59:35 am »

Sometimes I wish there was a progress bar toward the next release. Not a release time or anything, just some visual representation of about how far along the release is.

Of course that might lead to us being stuck at 99% for a week and causing massive anticipation based hemorrhaging.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »

Also keeping something like that constantly updated would actualy mean toady would spend less time coding and thus making the main thing take longer :P

I'm overall pretty happy with how things are going, just checking the page everyday as usual :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: November 10, 2010, 12:04:11 pm »

Sometimes I wish there was a progress bar toward the next release. Not a release time or anything, just some visual representation of about how far along the release is.

Of course that might lead to us being stuck at 99% for a week and causing massive anticipation based hemorrhaging.

I have that, even without the progress bar.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1820 on: November 10, 2010, 12:20:37 pm »

Also keeping something like that constantly updated would actualy mean toady would spend less time coding and thus making the main thing take longer :P

I'm overall pretty happy with how things are going, just checking the page everyday as usual :P
I don't think stopping for 30 seconds to adjust a slider or enter in a number would cause considerable slowdown, especially if done once a day.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: November 10, 2010, 01:15:16 pm »

I don't think stopping for 30 seconds to adjust a slider or enter in a number would cause considerable slowdown, especially if done once a day.

He probably doesn't know with that much precision how close we are to a release.  I'm not sure why people took the last devlog to mean we were mere days from a release.  This kind of thing:

I'd still like to do some aiming fixes, a basic companion display (since that can get really confusing), some dwarf mode testing/fixes, and more, but it is coming together nicely.

can easily take a week or three.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1822 on: November 10, 2010, 01:24:22 pm »

As previously evidenced :)

To those calling for an early release, prior to debugging, do you think the forum response for 31.01 was encouraging?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: November 10, 2010, 05:09:45 pm »

I seem to recall the "turning items green to indicate how far from release" thing was, while cool to watch, also frustrating.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1824 on: November 10, 2010, 05:32:05 pm »

I got the idea that it would be in the next week or so because on November 01 he posted

Now I'll get to the pre-release cleaning, he he he.

and then, five days later he said

I'm still working, fixing up bugs and other issues. I'm about halfway through my list of things I'd like to clean up, with the worst ones (castles occasionally being placed halfway underground, etc.) being handled.

He said that he was half way through and that the worst stuff was done, so I figured he only had a few days of work left, as long as things didn't take some unexpected turn.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: November 10, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »

Reading this makes me think that, should he wish, Toady could raise an army with rediculous ease. I'm half expecting a post along the lines of "I have completed version 31.17, It's release shall be withheld until such a time as the coalition government has been disbanded" And we'd heed the call.
*Hugs*

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: November 10, 2010, 05:48:54 pm »

Reading this makes me think that, should he wish, Toady could raise an army with rediculous ease. I'm half expecting a post along the lines of "I have completed version 31.17, It's release shall be withheld until such a time as the coalition government has been disbanded" And we'd heed the call.

And we would succeed.  It would probably involve artificial volcanos which spew flaming cats into the atmosphere, along with complete deforestation of the continent... but we would make it work somehow.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: November 10, 2010, 05:50:57 pm »

I seem to recall the "turning items green to indicate how far from release" thing was, while cool to watch, also frustrating.

True, and he ended up not continuing it because, given the nature of DF and development in general, it can be very difficult and annoying to make an accurate assessment as to how far off you are. He could start work on some niggling bug that seems like it would only take an hour or two and find out its roots are deep in the guts of the program and require significant rewrites of how many other peripherally related things work.

All things considered, I prefer the "When Its Done" approach to game development as opposed to "When Its Due"

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: November 10, 2010, 05:53:58 pm »

It also helps to remove the air of entitlement which *ahem* certain other gamers */ahem* seem to ,wrongly, have.
*Hugs*

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: November 10, 2010, 06:14:34 pm »

Always remember:  The first 90% of the release takes 90% of the time.  The last 10% takes the other 90%.  yes that's 180%
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 342