Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1551464 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2400 on: December 03, 2010, 08:10:29 pm »

If in adventure mode we kill all the farms that feed into a town will the town suffer?

Before you get your hopes up, you should keep in mind that the enormous abstract entity populations means killing all the farms will be nigh-impossible
Killing all the farmers is nigh impossible yeah, but there's a finite amount of land so maybe if he meant razing all the farmland, then that's a more relevant question.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: December 03, 2010, 08:37:24 pm »

I'm not sure if I missed something but:

Are there plans to be able to have multiple embarks at once, and to be able to zoom from fort view to world view and back on any of these embarks? An example of this would be in the old Accolade game Deadlock, though that was provinces instead of embarks, but a similar idea.
I'm pretty certain that that's out of the question for a long time to come.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: December 03, 2010, 08:45:29 pm »

Toady, when adventure mode caravan's are implemented, will we be able to hire someone to run our caravan for us?

It would be cool because I don't think that I would always want to micro-manage the people and animals and goods all the time. I figure it would be like sending the caravan off with instructions and paying for the initial good's.Then the caravan would go on it's route and when/If it returns they would give you your share of the profit's.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: December 03, 2010, 10:49:40 pm »

I'm not sure if I missed something but:

Are there plans to be able to have multiple embarks at once, and to be able to zoom from fort view to world view and back on any of these embarks? An example of this would be in the old Accolade game Deadlock, though that was provinces instead of embarks, but a similar idea.
The problem is that when you move between levels of abstraction, information is lost. So things can get pretty messed up.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: December 04, 2010, 06:18:13 am »

Deadlock also had a pretty simple model iirc.

Please give a legend for those kewl maps. :)
n.b. Not the hero epic story type legend, though that'd be cool too, but the legend commonly associated with maps and other graphic representations indicating the meaning of colours and symbols.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: December 04, 2010, 07:14:27 am »

This has been bugging me for a long time:

Will we ever be able to access the legends mode information directly from fortress or adventurer mode? Like in: you click at the leader of the enemy siege, open his details (z) screen and click something like (h)istory? I know you are planning to do books and some other "in-game" applications of legends, but these are hardly as useful as the legends mode. And I am able to copy my safe to a different folder, abandon the fortress, and open the Legends. Why prevent me from doing it the easy way?
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: December 04, 2010, 07:29:41 am »

You can just open up another DF.exe, you know... I agree though, Legends in-game would be nice.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: December 04, 2010, 08:05:33 am »

This has been bugging me for a long time:

Will we ever be able to access the legends mode information directly from fortress or adventurer mode? Like in: you click at the leader of the enemy siege, open his details (z) screen and click something like (h)istory? I know you are planning to do books and some other "in-game" applications of legends, but these are hardly as useful as the legends mode. And I am able to copy my safe to a different folder, abandon the fortress, and open the Legends. Why prevent me from doing it the easy way?
That would be a lot less fun than having to find out about the people ingame through books, engravings and word-of-mouth. Maybe there could be some kind of log where you could check everything you learned about a historical figure yet?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: December 04, 2010, 08:08:09 am »

That'd be cool, Cause I usually uncheck the 'reveal all history' option anyway
*Hugs*

cakeonslaught

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: December 04, 2010, 02:55:08 pm »

Toady, with the advent of goods/caravans we will likely end up with alot of loot. I know you probably have no idea when you plan to do it, but how far down the list are the adventurer sites? Some of us can't carry all the dragon hides and diamonds that we would like to...

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: December 04, 2010, 03:01:52 pm »

You can just open up another DF.exe, you know... I agree though, Legends in-game would be nice.
I'm afraid that's not the case; a single save can support a fortress, an adventurer, or an active legends view, but not two or more at once. Viewing the legends of a world that has an existing adventurer or player fortress requires copying the save.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: December 04, 2010, 03:40:52 pm »

I'm afraid that's not the case; a single save can support a fortress, an adventurer, or an active legends view, but not two or more at once. Viewing the legends of a world that has an existing adventurer or player fortress requires copying the save.
ahem. ?

<select DFfolder>
<CTRL+C>
<CTRL+V>
<create new shortcut to exe in copied folder>

...or just copy your regionfolder and rename it.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: December 04, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »

ahem. ?

<select DFfolder>
<CTRL+C>
<CTRL+V>
<create new shortcut to exe in copied folder>

...or just copy your regionfolder and rename it.

ahem. ?

A single save can support a fortress, an adventurer, or an active legends view, but not two or more at once. Viewing the legends of a world that has an existing adventurer or player fortress requires copying the save.

two or more at once
requires copying the save.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 04, 2010, 07:26:39 pm »

What's wrong with copying the save?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 04, 2010, 07:50:33 pm »

It's a pain in the ass.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 342